+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Any ideas - Removing a handbrake grip?

Started by Vindicator, 22, September, 2015, 07:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vindicator

I want to change the handbrake grip on the Vindi....it's an original Sierra grip; now looking it's age, but I can't work out how (or if) it can be removed without hack sawing, which I don't want to do if I can't then get a replacement.    :o

Any (clean) ideas guys?   ::)

Cheers, Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Do you just mean the 'rubbery' bit you hold Ian or the whole thing?

I think the rubbery bit is kinda glued on and has to be cut off?

See http://www.muddylanes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/3.html62.jpg for the bit I mean, and http://www.robcollingridge.com/kitcar/build/2006/08/2006_08_26_Handbrake.jpg with it off!!

Any help??

Iancider

Hi Vindicator,

I have not tried to remove one but it will be either of these options.

(A) I might be retained by metal flanges under the moulding - you would need to peel the rear end open and peer inside - you will see if the are undercuts in the moulding with tabs located in them.  If this is the case you could warm the moulding and stretch it over the tabs

(B) It could also be moulded-on for security and not designed to come off but that does not make it impossible to remove.  If test (A)  fails you will just need to slit it from end to end and it will peel off.

The Sierra handbrake went out of production about two years ago now so there are no spares.  But no Kit car builder takes that as defeat.  It should be easy enough to make a suitable handle, all you have to do is make sure it is secure.  Any plastic sleeve type handle could be persuaded to fit on there with a bit of ingenuity. 

Enter "handbrake handles" in Google and you will see a thousand choices - loads available for MX's.

Good luck
Ian

Iancider

As I posted, FHO has found the vital clue.

It is just held on by that ring undercut so with a bit if heat and force it should pull off.  Measure the round tube and there should be load of options out there and you may need to secure it with grub screws or glue it on.

Ian

Vindicator

Yes, it's the rubbery/plasticky grip you hold onto.

Cheers guys, I'll take a look at those suggested web pages and takes closer look at the grip.....getting the hairdryer on it may well do the trick.

Ian

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Vindicator on 22, September, 2015, 09:56:32 PM
Yes, it's the rubbery/plasticky grip you hold onto.

Cheers guys, I'll take a look at those suggested web pages and takes closer look at the grip.....getting the hairdryer on it may well do the trick.

Ian

If you need any hairdressing supplies, FHO is your man :P :P :P

Facial Hair Optional

Yes, thank you Ed!! As it happens I had a hairdryer out yesterday to put a nice yellow (yes yellow Colin - keep your 'ands off!) GSXR sticker on the ECU box in the engine bay of the ASBO. Managed to find one (an ex's in case you are sniggering) at the bottom of an old box of junk in the loft. Didnt really help, it's still got a gazillion little bubbles in it.

benchmark51

Looking at the picture, it is the same as mine and it will pull off. Need to grip it and work it side to side and push forward. In normal use, I find mine works it's way backward and I have to wiggle it back into position. :)

Facial Hair Optional

Unless it has some kind of 'vent hole' it will also kind of suction itself to the handle aas you pull on it and require quite a bit of force to get it off. If it is of no use to you afterwards maybe making a hole in the end will help it come off a bit easier?