+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Zetec upgrade

Started by Lucky Ed, 19, November, 2015, 08:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

Probably due to the good hammering the car had this year, I had lost compression on cylinders 1&2, so the head was checked first and it was ok, so it was down to pistons and rings. I spoke to Raceline who said I was was pushing my luck running a standard bottom end with 227 bhp and it was only a matter of time until it let go big time, so forged pistons and rods it was then (I didn't take much persuading!) Raceline and Burtons supply top of the range, Accralite, Cosworth, Arrow and the like, but that was getting a bit too pricey, but Raceline kindly suggested Wossner as a cheaper alternative, as they'd heard good reports about them.

Bezer83, a new member on here arranged for the block to go to Ashley Engines, where he sends all of his work. The bores were ok and just needed honing, and the top of the block was decked as the finish wasn't good enough for MLS gaskets and I'd always had a small oil leak from the last rebuild. The machine shop had a full set of bottom end bearings and gaskets kicking around, which they let me have for bugger all, so things were looking up. The guys there thought with this spec, and with the CR up from 10:1 to 12:1, it should make in excess of 250 bhp - but we'll have to wait and see.

Jamie helped me get the pistons in the block and then I built the rest up myself. The car is now being run in on mineral oil before it's first track day next month, after which it will go back on the rollers at JPR tuning (heard good reports about them) as the carbs need setting up properly, and find out what it's really putting out.

sanzomat

Very shiny! Shame it won't be on view.

Facial Hair Optional

227bhp on a standard bottom end? Yikes! I didn't realise that you didn't have forged rods etc Ed. As they said, sooner or later on track mate  :o

It looks like a proper job in the pics, hope it goes well at Combe with no issues, you''ll soon feel it if you have those extra horses working away I would think  8)

John at JPR is very old school and he really knows his stuff. Bit of a guru in fact. I have yet to meet anyone who knows as much about carbs and setting them up as he does.

Moleman

Iancider

Quotewith the CR up from 10:1 to 12:1, it should make in excess of 250 bhp

Wow - if the plugs fail just run it on diesel!

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Iancider on 19, November, 2015, 09:23:51 PM

It's certainly got some compression, the standard starter motor won't turn it over at all when it's warm, so I've had to fit a geared one.

sanzomat

Quote from: Iancider on 19, November, 2015, 09:23:51 PM

Won't it pink at that sort of compression? Presumably has some kind of anti run-on device too? I can imagine it would compression ignite fairly well when hot at that compression. I had a mark 4 cortina with a 2.0 pinto that would carry on running after you turned off the ignition when hot so you had to stall it!

Lucky Ed

It should be OK on premium unleaded, Shell Optimax and the like.

I suppose in theory it could run on until the float chambers are empty, but we will see.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 20, November, 2015, 11:11:10 AM

I suppose in theory it could run on until the float chambers are empty, but we will see.
Try Shell V-Power Nitro+ great stuff. It's the only fuel I use in kits now.

Came out tops in 5th Gear tests by Vicki BH.

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 20, November, 2015, 08:28:05 PM
Quote from: Lucky Ed on 20, November, 2015, 11:11:10 AM

Try Shell V-Power Nitro+ great stuff. It's the only fuel I use in kits now.

Came out tops in 5th Gear tests by Vicki BH.

Oh yeah - V-power that's what I meant, DOH!

Facial Hair Optional

I did think to myself 'do they still make Optimax?'

I spoke to the guy at a Shell station about the RON rating of SVPN+ (as I call it!! ;D) and he said they guarantee 99 octane but often it is higher and more often than not it's 100 but they can't guarantee it so they can onlly sell it as 99. 

Still good though and better than one local station (that shall remain nameless) who only sell 95! Yeah, not even 97!!

damouk

Apparently it's also to do with the distance from the refinery. Tesco 99 for me, recommended by my mapper and it's available a mile up the road from me

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 20, November, 2015, 09:52:53 PM
Apparently it's also to do with the distance from the refinery. Tesco 99 for me, recommended by my mapper and it's available a mile up the road from me
I didnt even know they did it tbh mate. Not one near me either, shame as I could get some good clubcard points! My SVPN+ Shell station is about 150 metres as the crow flies and a massive 350 (or less I reckon) by road. We do have a member who can beat that though, maybe all of 20 meters!!!

Does it deteriorate the further it is shipped via road then?

damouk

I'm not sure, you wouldn't of thought so as it's not vented in the tankers

Facial Hair Optional

That's what I thought, so how come they reckon it depends on how far you are from the refinery? I heard the same thing but can't remember where.

Iancider

There are fuel octane additives out there but the following vid shows that adding them to an unmodified engine will actually lower performance!  So unless your engine pinks on 97 Octane don't use them. See below:

Why three grades at the pump and not 99?  Researching this, I found it is because they have two tanks at the petrol station and they mix the higher and lower to make the middle grade.  If they do not use 99 as the higher grade then it is not in stock to deliver as the "Single Malt" item - 99 Octane.

Engines over 10.5:1 are going to need 99 Octane but most modern engines have a pinking sensor microphone which will retard the ignition to cope with lower octanes but with a loss of power.  There is no gain in using a higher octane and can reduce power as the video demonstrates.

One final point:  Turbos increase the induction pressure and the compression ratio stays the same.  Purpose-designed Turbo engines have a lower compression ratio to cope.  If you double the induction pressure on a 10:1 compression ratio with a turbo then it will be 20:1 compression and no additive will stop that pinking.  Turbo cars typically have a compression ratio of only 8.0:1 and turbos stop short of doubling induction pressures.

Moleman

I was told to use high octane fuel for my engine by the people that made it so I use Silkolene Pro boost, mainly for when I can't get to use V power on my travels though I do stick a bit in on track days. Not sure if I'm wasting my time on the track days now.

This is the stuff  in the red can  = http://shop.1stmx.co.uk/putoline-octane-boostersilkolene-pro-boost-222-p.asp?gclid=CMbTk5DkpMkCFcoaGwod3u8F7g

Facial Hair Optional

Interesting. I recall Fifth Gear doing a feature on other tests they did to try and improve power and performance, like servicing, fuel system cleaning etc with some good results. Here is the video....