News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Vin number application

Started by Swampy, 19, November, 2015, 10:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampy

HELLLP!
Last week i applied for a Vin number for my MK indy chassis ready for IVA test. I sent off a vin number that i had wished for within regulation of the IVA manuel and on previous recommendations from various web pages.
This morning i had an email response from the DVLA issuing me a Vin number and stating that "Indivuduals cannot make up their own VIN".

Has any body else been able to make their own vin in recent history or was this option only available on the old SVA test ? your help would be massively appreciated as i have gone and bloody welded in a vin number (bit too keen) and now have to un weld it and make a new chassis plate too :(. That'll teach me ...

SPAXIMUS

as I understand it, MK are a manufacturer and as such there will be a number they stamp as part of the build. I did read that the DVLA were trying to get Westfield owners to stamp a made up one, but Westfield sorted that out.

If it were a locost then the DVLA do indeed send one out.

Jeff

Iancider

I know the kit car manufacturers try to gain batches and they do have a standard prefix that identifies themselves.  I have certainly heard of people being asked to make their own up but it is a bit random and there is a risk of duplicates.  I guess they have just got their act together now.

Try this: F45TF45T3RF45T35T - there is a hidden message in that one.

Ian

Swampy

It seems so ... and with credit to the DVLA Vin department they did get back to me within the 14 days suggested.

So for any one in the future who has a kit car chassis from a manufacturer or self built, If you don't have a vin number allocated for what ever reason the way to apply is  by email (amasingly for the dvla).

dvlavin@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

bellow is a copy of the email i sent with working results, I'm not saying its the one you should send but it worked for me.

Hope this helps and good luck to all.
Replace  BLUE TEXT with your details of build

Hi good morning.
I would like to apply for a vin number for a Kit car i have built.

The address of where the car was built is,

INSERT YOUR HOME ADDRESS HERE

My name as builder and owner of the vehicle is,

INSERT YOUR FULL NAME HERE

The car has a EXAMPLE: 1800 turbo charged nissan engine with engine number,

INSERT YOUR ENGINE NUMBER HERE

Please contact me by email at this address or by royal mail post to the address above or finally by phone on INSERT YOUR NUMBER HERE

Please can you let me know what other details i have to supply in order to achieve this.

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

INSERT NAME (AND KISSES IF YOU WISH) HERE

Iancider

Kissy kissy is too intimate

Suggest you finish with Hug Hug  ;D