AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Helmets, helmets, flippin helmets - which is best for kits??

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 27, November, 2015, 10:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

Does anyone really understand all the different types of helmets there are out there for sale?

You have bike helmets, saloon car helmets, kart helmets, enduro/off road helmets and LOADS more. Why?? What are the real differences and why do we need them?

Why is a kart helmet any different to a bike helmet for example? They are both open air helmets. Some have duck billed chin spoilers, supposedly to aid stability in open top cars? So why don't bike helmets have them then? Has anyone tried one?

http://www.v2sport.com/Pro/V2pro-white-snell-sa2005-msa-standard-racing-helmet-with-chin-skirt-for-open-cabin-vehicles.html

I have noticed wearing a bike helmet in the ASBO, if I lift my had a little too high at speed the wind really can catch the underneath of the helmet and lift your head back pretty suddenly!!!

Facial Hair Optional

'The Gaffer'

Its a nice helmet but my only fear would be that you would eventually settle for one of the fitting options and stick with it possibly making the rest redundant. I would look for a permanent style and stick with it.

Comfort is much more important than style so if it were me, and maybe if you haven't already, is to go to as many places as possible and try on as many as you can until you find the one that fits best, then look at styling and maybe make a compromise is necessary.

Yes there are tons of different types, approvals etc but as long as you get a good quality helmet, I wouldn't recommend used, then it should be more that adequate for track day and daily use. I have not done hundreds of track days but I have never been asked to show that my helmet meets X specification... ooeer :o

That said if you are looking to take part in serious racing then spec and approval is everything.

benchmark51

I just had a thought reading your post and it was a mental picture of Hairy Santa in a viking helmet. Don't know why, haven't had a drink in 3 weeks. ;D

fullpint

Had my flip one for a year or so now. Perfect for a kit car.. Stuck in a jam and need a drink? Simple, flip and sip :) And for us smokers you can roll and puff whilst sat in that jam..

Iancider

QuoteDon't know why, haven't had a drink in 3 weeks

I think you did just explain why Benchmark  ;)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: benchmark51 on 28, November, 2015, 12:33:04 PM
I just had a thought reading your post and it was a mental picture of Hairy Santa in a viking helmet. Don't know why, haven't had a drink in 3 weeks. ;D

Like this one?..

Or this one even?...

Moleman

sanzomat