News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Weighing your car with bathroom scales??

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 30, November, 2015, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

I know people have done this to corner weight their cars but I just want to know the overall accurate weight of mine. I have read you can buy Value Range mechanical bathroom scales at Tesco very cheaply (about £4 I think). They weigh up to about 130kg (handy!) http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mechanical-bathroom-scale/129-8058.prd

If I bought 4 sets and put one under each wheel and then added up the 4 readings would that give me an accurate reading of the weight of my car? I guess that if so it would also give me an idea of the weight at each corner?

My car is light so one set of scales per corner should do the trick I hope! Then afterwards I have 4 very handy Xmas gifts for mates!!!!

Has anyone tried this yet??

benchmark51

No, got a man who does that. Camber Dave did mine last year 632kg inc me, fullish tank and toolkit.

'Mendip Wurzel'

I reckon you may need heavier scales than 130kg. I have corner weighted my kit car with a single set of scales. It will not be as accurate as the professional approach but it more or less gets you there. You can purchase super heavyweight scales for the larger person, which is possibly what you need. Below are a few photos of my corner weighting attempts.... I try to keep the car level so that it touches evenly, hence the block under the other rear wheel.

Camber Dave

If you put £16 or more into the Charity box in the works, or to Ian, I will weight your car - Accurately.

Offer open to all members

Dave
SN16 0JZ
07977 948883

sanzomat

Quote from: Camber Dave on 30, November, 2015, 06:06:56 PM
If you put £16 or more into the Charity box in the works, or to Ian, I will weight your car - Accurately.

Offer open to all members

Dave
SN16 0JZ
07977 948883

Even for a tightwad like me that sounds like a good deal. When My car is back in one piece I'll be round. Might be a few months though ::)

Iancider

QuoteThey weigh up to about 130kg (handy!)

Take Dave up on his offer  - its a good one and you will get some handy advice.

Buy yourself four scales by all means - put a hand and foot on each and impress yourself with how much weight you have lost!   ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Excellent offer CD!!! I will take you up on that as soon as I can (ie when we get some dry flippin weather and the car is going properly again), thank you!!

Daley Down Under

Before I knew CD I used the 4 x bathroom scales trick to corner weight (and weigh) my Megablade.  Worked really well but a lot easier at CDs

Cheers Adrian

Hairy Santa

ye done this a few times on different cars  - not very accurate I'm sorry to say  - Scales are still in the garage  ???

CD has weighed all my cars- only way to go really

Adrians cars are lighter in Auzzy Land that's because they are down under and hanging upside down to ours  ;D 

Facial Hair Optional

Yes Pete, they have negative gravity down there so I am told  :D

Daley Down Under

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Daley Down Under on 02, December, 2015, 08:34:35 PM
And it rained yesterday

I don't know why you bothered moving down there, the weather has been fantastic here lately ;)

Daley Down Under

And now back to weighing kit cars on scales  :D

Cheers Adrian

Facial Hair Optional

They won't work properly with negative gravity Adrian  :D

benchmark51

I went round to the recycling depot at Carsons road and got them to weigh ratbag ages ago. Not very accurate at all

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 02, December, 2015, 11:19:06 PM
I went round to the recycling depot at Carsons road and got them to weigh ratbag ages ago. Not very accurate at all
How did you find out it wasn't accurate Dave? Did you already know it's weight or have you had Camber Dave do it since or something? I thought about asking my local factory to weight it on their lorry weighbridge but like you I though it would not be very accurate.

benchmark51

Think they said it was over 700kg, but CD did it and it came in at 632kg with me and full tank and tools ect.

Facial Hair Optional

Blimey! That's very light with you and all that stuff on board. My Tiger is (according to the factory) 660kg so it'll be about 750kg then  ;D and with me and fuel 850+ no wonder it aint super quick!  :o