News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Check your gas tank you dipstick!

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 02, December, 2015, 11:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

When I got the ASBO I was not sure how much the petrol tank held but suspected it was 15 litres so I took the bonnet off and measured it up. Luckily it is a nice regular shape. Sure enough it was 15 litres - 200mm x 250mm x 300mm a nice cuboid.

As we all know often fuel gauges in kits can be a little inaccurate and being as mine is small (the tank!) I thought it would be handy to know exactly how much petrol I had in there at any one time before I set off for a drive if I need to. As it as a nice handy cuboid it was easy enough to work out that 7.5mm depth of fuel was 1 litre, so I now use a wooden dowel to dip the tank if I need to see exactly how much I have in there. I find it is VERY accurate.

Next job is to compare the tank levels with the gauge readings at various amounts and see how useful the gauge actually is when I'm on the road.

Thank you Peter Purves  ;D

benchmark51

I think Ratbag takes about 30 litres, gauge not accurate so never go below 1/4. Have a reserve though.

Facial Hair Optional

Not so crucial if you have a large-ish tank I guess, the Fury is 40 the Tiger 25 litres. I could do with a larger tank on the ASBO really.

I have a reserve, it's a petrol can that I can put in the passenger footwell! It's red too so matches the car tubing and is 12 litres so nigh-on doubles my range.

benchmark51

Yeah, mines a green can sat in the back with a puncture outfit, mini compresser and toolbag. ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 03, December, 2015, 12:02:16 AM
Yeah, mines a green can sat in the back with a puncture outfit, mini compresser and toolbag. ;D
Yes I must get a little kit like that up together I think, very sensible idea mate

Crunchie Gears

Interesting.  15 ltrs is very tight :o

I was told that I should not go below .25 of a tank on the track in the Ultima as the fuel aids cooling and fuel starvation can damage the engine (the guy that looks after the car showed me some bent valves) :(

But the Westfield has no petrol gauge and I do not know how to show the odometer.  It has a 35 ltr tank.  I used dip stick and guess the mileage between refills.  Since we had the car we have run out of fuel once.  Earlier this year on A road trip we got to 210 miles and the garage on the satnav was closed so decided to push on.  20 miles to next fuel and made 15.  Thankfully one of the guys with me had a can, thanks Phil ;D

sanzomat

I think the fuel gauge on mine is really a motion sensor. Unless the tank is brimmed full or nearly empty the needle swings by over half its range as you accelerate/brake/corner. Might even be able to calibrate it as a g-meter!

My tank is supposed to hold 35l but even when I've stretched my luck as far as I dare with the gauge showing empty (and not rising during braking etc) I've only squeezed in 25l. If I fill it as soon as the needle shows empty it only fits 20l.

Dip stick is a great idea but my filler follows a torturous route to the tank so I don't think that would work for me.

benchmark51

I always carry a can of fuel, even in the trannybus. Always renew the fuel in the can at fill up so it doesn't go 'stale'. The tranny has a gas tank too so a bit of back-up there. Need to find a place to check out/service the lpg system (factory fit), if anyone knows of a place local?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 03, December, 2015, 08:00:15 AM

I was told that I should not go below .25 of a tank on the track in the Ultima as the fuel aids cooling and fuel starvation can damage the engine (the guy that looks after the car showed me some bent valves) :(

But the Westfield has no petrol gauge and I do not know how to show the odometer.  It has a 35 ltr tank.  I used dip stick and guess the mileage between refills.  Since we had the car we have run out of fuel once.  Earlier this year on A road trip we got to 210 miles and the garage on the satnav was closed so decided to push on.  20 miles to next fuel and made 15.  Thankfully one of the guys with me had a can, thanks Phil ;D

No petrol gauge at all? If your odometer is electronic/digital why not take a piccy, post it on here and see if anyone else has the same/similar? Someone is sure to know how to get the miles showing for you I'd bet. What sort/brand is it?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 03, December, 2015, 08:31:37 AM
I always carry a can of fuel, even in the trannybus. Always renew the fuel in the can at fill up so it doesn't go 'stale'. The tranny has a gas tank too so a bit of back-up there. Need to find a place to check out/service the lpg system (factory fit), if anyone knows of a place local?

Avon Autogas in West Street, Bemmy Dave.
http://www.avonautogas.co.uk/avon-autogas-2/lpg-repairs-and-servicing/
Ta for the reminder, mine is well overdue!!

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 03, December, 2015, 03:35:09 PM
Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 03, December, 2015, 08:00:15 AM

No petrol gauge at all? If your odometer is electronic/digital why not take a piccy, post it on here and see if anyone else has the same/similar? Someone is sure to know how to get the miles showing for you I'd bet. What sort/brand is it?

Good shout and I should have thought of that but the car is now up for sale at Williams Automobiles in Chipping Sodbury.  It will be someone else's challenge. :D