News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Iva catalytic converter help???

Started by Swampy, 05, December, 2015, 08:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampy

Hi can anyone give any advice on if i will require a catalytic converter for a q plate type iva with an engine from 1993 car. I have no real proof that the engine is from a 1993 car apart from an old ebay purchase print out but no v5 for the donor car.
Ide like to try to pass the emmisions first time and if i have to buy a cat and weld one in ill need to do that soonish.

CC Cyclone

What engine is it? If ford you can get date of manufacture from them.

Swampy

its a nissan ... but good idea, i will ask the bristol nissan parts dealership if they can give me an age. But still the question remains if there is a standard practice of testing emissions in an iva test when registering for a q plate ?

longtimecoming

You will need to prove it's age to bypass the IVA tougher emissions tests. Could be a pain but worth it. It would seem to be a point of whether your engine had a cat' fitted when originally built, as 1995 is a cut off year for the test.
Metered emissions, section, O2B page 8  IVA manual. = CO<=3.5%,  HC <= 1200ppm for pre 1995 engine not fitted with Cat'. These test are carried out at very specific engine speeds.
I would be inclined to fit a cat' as a matter of course, if your engine is Carb fed then a Lambda wont be needed and it will help lower any readings anyway and it does show that you care about the environment as well.

CC Cyclone

Pre-95 if you can prove it won't need a cat.

'The Gaffer'

I thought that being a Q plate means the emissions test is just visual for MOT. Why should it be any different for IVA?

Facial Hair Optional

I don't think it's to do with having a Q plate per se cos a Q plate car could have a very modern engine in it even if it is a Q. It's all to do with engine age I was told. Old engines never had cats and therefore cannot be forced to use one. Newer engines have to have one and so must also have one in a kit car whether it's a Q plate or not.

Bit like trying to make your granddad wear his jeans hanging below his butt cheeks with his boxers on display for the world to see, he never grew up with it so you ain't gonna be able to force him to do it just cos it's the fashion nowadays!!  ;D ;D ;D

CC Cyclone

Yep, MOT and IVA are two different things, needing a cat at IVA doesn't necessarily mean you need one for MOT, although even with a Q plate I have seen emissions printed in the V5 according to engine age.

Swampy

My aim is now to contact nissan in bristol (as they have been fairly helpful in the past) to see if i can get age confirmation from my engine number. I believe the car to be a 1993 model but we'll see.
Secondly if i need a cat either because i can't prove the age of engine or it does not pass the emissions i will probably end up fitting a universal inline cat such as the link bellow.
There are also akrapovic motorbike cats with 2.5" od that may fit and will live inside of the current pipe work. These are more expensive though and it would be my intention to remove the cat after test anyway as i do not have a closed loop lambda ecu.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Chrome-Racing-Universal-Stainless-Steel-Sports-Cat-Catalytic-Converter-/141167242329?var=440486075247&hash=item20de392c59:m:mEEq3J97xTzyDa92N4K0RJA

Swampy

hooray ... Since my last post in december i have managed to get email and headed paper written confirmation of my engines production date and they gave me details of the car it came out of that i scrapped oh so long ago...

Payment has been made to the DVLA for the IVA test and now i await the confirmation and date from the inspection centre in avonmouth.

Unfortunately also in between the past post in december and now i managed to break my ankle and back in a road accident in india!!! Needless to say i will probably not be able to drive the kit car there as soon as hopped but i should be able to convince a friend to drive me down whilst i ride shot gun ... not quite what i had planned but never mind!

£450 for current IVA test fee... not sure of re test fee yet but I'm sure ill find out within the next couple of months ... not planning on failing but I'm sure something will be slightly wrong ...

benchmark51

Whoa! What a bummer, I did that years ago and it did hurt loads :'(. I think the retest is about £90.
If you need help when the big day arrives let us know.

Moleman

Gary RH7

peterw

£ 90 for a re test, well it was 3 years ago as i found out to my cost...As previously mentioned IVA an MOT emissions are a totally different thing. They will definately emission test it on the IVA but on MOT it is just visual for a Q plate ie not chucking out smoke. If the emissions are too high on IVA the guy should let you adjust the carb mixture to get it through, if he is having a good day that is !!!

Swampy

Carb mixture !!!

It should all be good. now i have the date of manufacture from Nissan in writin they should test it as a pre cat car. The emissions should be all good. I have a chipped ecu installed at the moment for the larger turbo and fueling additions but can stick on a spare standard ecu if the worst comes to worst. just like adjusting the carb ;)

Iancider

Good luck with it Swampy - cant wait to see it mobile!