News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hi i'm new and have a few things i'd like to ask?

Started by badger1985, 04, November, 2009, 08:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badger1985

Having just bought a ready built kit car i have a few issues i need a hand with. I know buying the car is cheating but i could fit in it and it had a bike lump init so i bought it in a fit of madness

I have 15inch 195/50 tyres and wanted to know what meduim compound all round tyres people could recomend, they need to be good for about 3000 miles

The roll bars on my car are not attached into the chassy should i have them welded onto the box section behind my seat for added protection?

It currently has a mini fuel tank, i wish to put this round a track, where can i buy a track legal fuel tank from? Someone told me it has to be foam filled so it won't explode if i crash?

Currently has no wind screen on it but i wish to put a diflector where can i find one?

And finally for now atleast, the brakes are sh!t like really uber bad. i have only got about 250 per wheel (only the front has discs, back will bee sorted at a later date) and was wondering id wilwood four pots or ap 4 racing two pots. Please bear in mind that the car weights about 650/759 kgs

thanks everyone who is willing to give some time to help me with my new toy  :D

David H

Quote from: badger1985 on 04, November, 2009, 08:02:59 PM
Having just bought a ready built kit car i have a few issues i need a hand with. I know buying the car is cheating but i could fit in it and it had a bike lump init so i bought it in a fit of madness

I have 15inch 195/50 tyres and wanted to know what meduim compound all round tyres people could recomend, they need to be good for about 3000 miles

The roll bars on my car are not attached into the chassy should i have them welded onto the box section behind my seat for added protection?

It currently has a mini fuel tank, i wish to put this round a track, where can i buy a track legal fuel tank from? Someone told me it has to be foam filled so it won't explode if i crash?

Currently has no wind screen on it but i wish to put a diflector where can i find one?

And finally for now atleast, the brakes are sh!t like really uber bad. i have only got about 250 per wheel (only the front has discs, back will bee sorted at a later date) and was wondering id wilwood four pots or ap 4 racing two pots. Please bear in mind that the car weights about 650/759 kgs

thanks everyone who is willing to give some time to help me with my new toy  :D

1/ Tyres. For medium compound look at Toyo 888s, Yokohama AO48. (semi slick) I use the later. Toyo T1Rs are excellent road tyres also.
2/Roll bar. If it is not attached to the chassis it is likely to be useless in a crash so brace it somehow. Mine is bolted.
3/To do track days you will not NEED a different fuel tank unless it is leaking or dangerous. If you intend to race, it would be preferable to have a baffled sumped tank to avoid fuel surge but if you run carbs this usually isn't necessary. For safety you can always spend money.
4/Deflectors are usually available fromm the manufacterer of your kit or after market companies but search ebay in kit car section and others will suggest more i'm sure.
5/Brakes, try different pads, it makes a difference. Maybe they dont actually work properly and just need a rebuild but the main thing is, if you dont have a servo and are used to driving a servo assisted car then usually the brakes can 'feel' worse. If they are total w#*k then Wilwoods are very good. I run Wilwood 4 pots with their poly A race pads, 270ish grooved discs and an AP master cylinder. I had a standard set up before. The 4 pots are not actually as strong as the ford 2 pot M16 brakes off a Sierra i think but they are heavier so getting 4 pots does not always improve things. Try pads and new good quality brake fluid first?

Apart from the screen I have done all of the above upgrades and have spent much time trying to make other stuff work in between. Good luck.

Mark G

Welcome to the club badger

I have toyo t1r's on my car and I'm very happy with them.  I expect them to go much further than 3000 miles too.

My brakes are the standard brakes which I removed off my donor car.  I too thought that they were pants the first couple of times I drove the car.  After getting used to not having servo action I'm now used to them and think that they're actually up to the job.  Bear in mind that they're designed to stop a car 3 times the weight.

If you want a wind deflector I have one which I bought off ebay and didn't fit to my car.  If you want you can have it for £30, you can collect it off me at a club meet if it suits you.

Also, how bout some photo's of your new car then?

Mark.

badger1985

heehee sorry forgot to put a picture in this thread. he's one i took earlier

have a look would love to know what you think

badger1985

oh and the wind diflector i could collect and have a look to see if it fits next weekend when i'm down. wont be in the kit car unfortunatlly :(

Richard

Good replies Marks.

On your brakes, do the normal checks and perhaps as suggested change the pad type, if you drive a lot on road avoid the true track pads as they may well squeal a lot more, it can get very tiresome, fast road will probably be fine, quite a variety of wilwood calipers so do your research before purchasing.

Going to interested in following your changes.

badger1985

if you look at the photo the main thing i should have noticed is the wing mirrors don't match and the indicators on the nose have nhs crutch rubber on the ends. Any one got any spare lights i can buy off you to replace these ones