News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Captured nuts/threads in fibreglass

Started by Brandy Barrel, 04, January, 2016, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandy Barrel

Does anyone know how to do this.
Are the special cage tupe nuts that i can bond into the fibreglass?
Or any other way?any thanks

benchmark51

I remember them from years ago, back in my lotus centre days. They were called bobbins and were 'glassed in' . I expect they're still available, but why not make your own?

Sumov8

I have tried Rivnuts on  my inner wings but this was only partly succesful as a number started to spin around despite being splined and a tight fit (example in link below), however if they were bonded as well they may work.  Regards

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055359.m570.l2632.R2.TR7.TRC2.A0.H1.Xriv+nut.TRS0&_nkw=rivnut+tool&_sacat=180124s 

Steve

Iancider

The big name in this is "Big Heads" see the link below:

http://www.bighead.co.uk/english/products/adhesives.asp

Always go for stainless.  The fastener is normally bonded on to the surface then fibreglass is layered over the base.  Put masking tape on the thread to avoid gunking it.  Available in  Studs, nuts, sleeves hasps and the like.

Regards
Ian

Brandy Barrel

Brilliant, thanks guys. Yes really wanted tried and tested solutions.
Totally agree with going stainless.
I knew if i asked you would know.

fletch_306

My cycle wings are fitted using big head studs which are bonded using a structural adhesive they have never come loose and there is no chance of a crack developing as there is no need to drill the wing. i love these things and when i finally come to strip the car fully and rebuild they will be the top of my list of parts!