Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Carb to Inlet Manifold Gasket

Started by Chaz, 26, March, 2016, 03:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

Hi.
I took the S6 out in the lovely weather yesterday and it spluttered and spat all the way. Oh, and the flippin ignition light came on and stayed on and I lost my indicators. Sigh.
Anyway, managed to get home and did some checks; wire off on the rectifier pack and blown fuse for the indicators.
I'd only just balanced the carbs and was a bit perplexed. On closer inspection I noticed that I could rock the carbs up and down a fair bit. The gaskets between the carbs and inlet manifold have perished a bit and the nuts were slightly loose. I tightened everything up and balanced them again because I wanted to use the rest of the weather. It ran beautifully.

So, here's my question: The gaskets are metal sheet with rubber a 'o' ring in them. Do I need to use any kind of sealant on the replacements or perhaps grease to prevent perishing, or (as I suspect) one just lobs them in and torques the nuts so as not to distort the seals?

Regards,
Chaz

benchmark51

If you have some rubber grease handy, I don't see why not. You might want to use a little thread lock if undo-ing is a problem. ;)

Chaz

Quote from: benchmark51 on 26, March, 2016, 03:42:02 PM
If you have some rubber grease handy, I don't see why not. You might want to use a little thread lock if undo-ing is a problem. ;)

Cheers. They're actually fitted with what look like substantial spring washers so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm used to wire-locking stuff so may have a play with them. :-)

Lucky Ed

Chaz, The spring washers are standard figment and the nuts should be fairly tight. You could do away with the rubberised gasket and put a paper one in there as you are only trying to stop air leaks. The flex in the mounting of the carbs should come from the wide rubber washers and locknuts. Remember to keep these as loose as possible, so the vibrations from the engine don't cause frothing in carbs.

Chaz

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 26, March, 2016, 06:19:06 PM
Chaz, The spring washers are standard figment and the nuts should be fairly tight. You could do away with the rubberised gasket and put a paper one in there as you are only trying to stop air leaks. The flex in the mounting of the carbs should come from the wide rubber washers and locknuts. Remember to keep these as loose as possible, so the vibrations from the engine don't cause frothing in carbs.

Thanks LE. Frothy fuel eh? That doesn't sound good. So basically the whole set up is anti-vibration, every day's a school day.

benchmark51

Quote from: Chaz on 26, March, 2016, 04:31:50 PM
Quote from: benchmark51 on 26, March, 2016, 03:42:02 PM

Cheers. They're actually fitted with what look like substantial spring washers so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm used to wire-locking stuff so may have a play with them. :-)

The washers are ' thackery washers'. When the carbs are in position you tighten the nuts down to leave a 20 thou gap between the coils. This give the correct amount of flex. I use a little thread lock because the nuts are not tightened right down.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSE-Thackery-Washers-Double-Coil-For-Use-With-DCOE-Or-DHLA-Carburettors-/301102375315?hash=item461b19a193:g:-u8AAOSwj0NUfJE8

Chaz

Yep, that's them and thanks for the info. This also explains why they [the carbs] were loose. Looks like a pretty straightforward job. I may service the carbs ,45 Dellortos, whilst I'm at it....though that looks quite daunting. Even getting the correct kit is proving to be challenging. I need to nail down exactly what model carbs they are.

Chaz

Thanks very much. I'm going to have a go I think....what's the worst that can happen?

longtimecoming

You may be pleasantly surprised, I did a rebuild on a pair of Dellortos a while ago and found them to be very similar to Webers. Just remember to take one at a time to pieces and keep one intact for reference. Good luck. I have a book here that shows what's what in a rebuild, if you need it you can borrow it.

benchmark51

Like the man said, pretty easy job. I would add, take notes of the size jets ect for future reference.

Chaz

Chaz

Hi again,
Any ideas what the numbers on the metal tabs allude to?

Also, I'm looking at this set to service the carbs..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dellorto-DHLA45-service-kit-for-two-carbs-DellOrto-p-n-DHLA45CSK-/261100100366?hash=item3ccac75b0e:g:d9sAAOxyVaBS6l8A 

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,
Chaz