News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Mk4 Ford Fiesta diagnostics

Started by Jez, 19, April, 2016, 04:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jez

Hi, I'm a bit stuck going around in circles. Maybe somebody could help please. I'm trying to ascertain whether my 1997 Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.25 engine is OBD2 compatable to set up Android diagnostics. Buying an ELM327 off Ebay is a can of worms as the Chinese Bluetooth scan devices are clones of earlier versions that don't work. I need to know first what diagnostics protocol my engine uses. It is as far as I know an EEC5 engine. P reg. Anybpdy any ideas please? I want to use Torque Pro on a 7" Android tablet designed into the dashboard of my Raffo Belva..

Iancider

Jez,

I have not done this but OBD11 is a rock standard solution so the problem has to be with the Transmission via bluetooth of the control signals.  I found this one which claims compatibility and is a cheap as chips.  Send it back if it does work because they make the claim specifically that it does work with Android.

http://www.obd2tool.co.uk/wholesale/mini-bluetooth-elm327-obd-hh-obdii-car-diagnostic-scanner.html

Also consider this - your transmitter and receiver need to be close together without much metal or wiring in the way.  The radio signal for bluetooth is super-high frequency and any metal n the path tends to absorb the signal plis there is quite a lot of radio noise under the dash-panel to interfere.  A direct connection could be better.

I could not find OBD2 to firewire adaptors but you can get OBD2 to USB and USB to firewire adaptors.  It needs two steps but it should work and that does not rely on a radio signal in a hostile environment.

Ian

benchmark51

I have a obd11, bluetooth ELM 327 scanner that I use with my Galaxy S4. Using torque, but only have the free version. All seems to work ok. I may put torque on my Galaxy tab s and perhaps get the pro version. Got it off Ebay after looking at some on Utube.

CC Cyclone

Officially? No. Only from 2001 onwards, except the USA version which was compliant from 97. Unofficially yes, Eobd / obd2 will work at least to read codes and ecu info. It depends how deeply into it you want to delve.

I know this because I used to run a similar car as a student and had to fix it myself.

Jez

I can't see the option of replying individually so thanks for the three replies so far. Encouraging. Thanks Ian for your information and the link which I used. It will be my third scan purchase but at that price one can't complain at trial and error when in theory as everyone says OBD2 is aimed at newer engines.. I get what you say about signal and there is a radio in the way so I will try the direct link.  Fingers crossed I will get a solution because the dashboard Im designing will look cool with a 7" tablet integrated into it with a sun hood to make it look part of the furniture!.

Jez

Hi Im still going around in circles!

I just cannot get info on whether my 1997 Ford Fiesta Mk4 Zetec 1.25 engine is compatible with OBD2 devices. Ive been to local Ford franchise who suggest I contact Marcos Cars who folded in 2006 I recall! I have tried several of these cheap scans from Ebay and none of them work. What I dont understand is the engine has an OBD socket so surely it links up to a computer? Ideally I want to link to an Android Bluetooth phone/tablet and somewhere down the line I want to get the engine re-mapped but again I'm having difficulty finding local companies able to remap such an old Ford engine!

Vindicator

Hi Jez, have you tried any of the Ford online forums for suggestions?....Ian

Iancider

Jez,

I have got a multi-standard OBD tester and it scans for compatibility - if it synchs then it is likely compatible and it will read any codes.  That would isolate whether it is socket or connector.

Ian

CC Cyclone

The easiest and most certain way would be to buy a good hard wired OBD reader from somewhere like machine mart rather than the bluetooth versions which can be pretty poor at best and junk at worst in my experience. When you plug it in it will tell you which ecu it is reading and what information can be accessed on the ecu and it will tell you for definite if it is OBD2 compliant. Unfortunately with code readers it is a case of you get what you pay for. I tried one of the cheap ebay jobbies and torque app on my focus st170 - it said there were no faults found which i knew was nonsense. I then plugged in a good sealey code reader and it read everything in real time diagnostic and found nine historic and current error codes.

I very much doubt you will have any luck remapping the Ford ECU, they were never designed to be remapped, most likely the only option to try and do so would be to use an off the shelf 'chip' to piggy back the ECU, if they exist for the specific ecu you have. - if you want a mappable ECU you are looking at the likes of OMEX, Emerald, DTA or megasuirt etc for 3d fuel and ignition mapping.

Jez

Quote from: Iancider on 22, April, 2016, 04:00:40 PM
Jez,

I have got a multi-standard OBD tester and it scans for compatibility - if it synchs then it is likely compatible and it will read any codes.  That would isolate whether it is socket or connector.

Ian
Yes I did join a Ford Fiesta forum but no response yet.

benchmark51

Are you going to Stoneleigh? Or are you anywhere near BS30 postcode?
Welcome to try my ELM, plug it in and see. Works ok on my Transit and ST170, even displays the vin numbers.