News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Gearbox top up

Started by Vindicator, 07, May, 2016, 03:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vindicator

Hi Chaps, just looking for a bit of info. for my gearbox top up. The Vindi has a Ford type 9, I assume from a Sierra. I can see that I need an allen key to remove the plug and need to go and invest in a set. Can anyone let me know the size I'll need to get, please? I also believe I should top up with 75w/90s semisynth. ....Is this still the case or have things moved on?
Cheers, Ian

benchmark51

It's a 10mm hex. I have used 80 ep oil in mine for years with no problems. However in cold weather it can be a bit stiff, but eases off as it warms up. That said I don't use it much in the cold!

Vindicator

Quote from: benchmark51 on 07, May, 2016, 04:10:53 PM
It's a 10mm hex. I have used 80 ep oil in mine for years with no problems. However in cold weather it can be a bit stiff, but eases off as it warms up. That said I don't use it much in the cold!

Cheers Dave, went and got a set today....always useful. Thankfully not too tight. Oil trickled out so didn't need to top up so I'm happy.....Ian

Iancider

Hi Vindicator

Mine has been run on automatic transmission fluid from new and that id to keep the losses low - but it can make gear changes a little stiffer.

Regards
Ian

Vindicator

Thanks all for the help. Gearbox now sorted, minor electrics now sorted. Car is running very rich across the rev range so now for the carb tune up before the MOT..........Not sure what the MOT requirements are for a non-cat engine. I understand it's visual. Not much smoke to see after the chokes are in but can certainly smell the petrol.

Ian

benchmark51

I'm in the process of cleaning and checking my carbs myself. What carbs have you got?

Vindicator

DHLA Dellortos. I've borrowed a Carbtune kit and I'll start by taking a look at the choke flaps and then balancing them. It must have been OK last year before I bought it so it's gone out of tune a bit quickly. I don't think it can be wrong jetting unless it's been fiddled with. I can push the choke in as soon as it starts (haven't tried starting without the choke though) and I can hear the intake sound change so some/all the chokes appear to be opening. It starts and pulls cleanly apart from a hesitation if you put your foot down sharply. If you ease the power in it pulls smoothly. So the only apparent problem I have is the amount of soot on the floor as it starts and a very strong smell of petrol (and watering eyes if you stand too close for too long :o)

Ian

benchmark51

I have dellorto DLHA 40's. As a rule they behave well and stay in tune better than weber's. A lot of people don't use the choke as it is a pretty crude affair. A few pumps on the pedal is usually enough. If yours starts ok then stick with what your doing. Other things affect carb's and ignition timing is very important. If you do clean them, then make a note of the choke size and jet sizes, they are all marked and it is handy to know. I have noted mine as I have a f/r cam and may need to change jets. At the moment full power should start at 4000 rpm with the chokes/jets I have, but I'll have to see what difference the cam makes.