News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

HELP!!! Wiring problem

Started by Bulldog Bri, 10, May, 2009, 03:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

Hi. I want to fit an Amp guage in my Locost7, I have the guage but don't have the wiring diagram to fit it. on the back it has one wire for the bulb (i can work that one out. lol) but from the other 2 terminals, I'm not sure where I need to connect them too..... Anyone know what to do?  8)

'The Gaffer'

Hi Brian.

I you want my personal opinion, I would ditch the amp meter in favour of a voltmeter.

A battery voltmeter is much more useful since, as the battery discharges, its voltage drops, so this will tell you the charge state of the battery. Also, under heavy load, the battery voltage dips. If the voltage dips too far then either the load has increased or the battery is getting old.

A voltmeter is easier and safer to wire in, and most importantantly will tell you if the alternator or dynamo is kicking out a charge voltage.

Any reason you went for an ammeter?

Heres the basic wiring.

Cheers.

Phil

Bulldog Bri

Only that I have the Amp meter and it matches all the other guages I have for the dashboard. my Neighbour is into banger racing and he was stripping out an old Jag, so I grabbed the guages before they were thrown away  8). If I ever find a volt meter that matches then I'll fit that instead.

Do you know which feed on the Alternator and if there is a particular bit/fuse on the fusebox I go to?

'The Gaffer'

The wiring of an ammeter is so confusing and dangerous if you get it wrong that I would still stick with a voltmeter Brian.

Ammeters mean big current, and volts mean just a couple of wires with no worries.

Do you have a voltmeter currently?

If so, stick the ammeter in, connect just the light so it looks good and leave it at that.

Just my 2 cents mate  :)