News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another busy in the garage thread

Started by 'The Gaffer', 19, December, 2009, 07:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Been busy today with Martins invaluable help. First job was to remove the bodywork. As this is pretty much a one-piece body I thought it would be a bit difficult, but after undoing countless nuts and bolts and wiring connectors, a swift up and over and she was off.

The main reasons for the body removal are so we can adapt the driver's footwell to accommodate my size 11's. The car can get uncomfortable to drive with nowhere to stretch out your leg next to the clutch and to be able to press the accelerator straight on rather than at an inward angle. Also we now have access to the top of the fuel tank so a fuel sender can be fitted. The body off also gives great access to clean and repaint the chassis in order to keep it protected from the elements.

We are also planning to adapt the diff carrier to better line up diff with driveshafts. 

The tub off the chassis.

Nice to see the chassis underneath in great condition if not a little dusty.

Another chassis shot from the front.

A bit of cutting of ali panels and outer chassis and we have gained about 5 ins of extra width. The lower chassis member is about to be cut and pulled out by 2 inches.

Next job was to move pedals to the right; here you can see the clutch has just been done. Surprising what you can do with an oxyacetylene torch.

One of my new seats in for testing purposes.

Sorry pics are a bit blurry, think I had my camera set on macro mode ::)

A very productive day, that was until my van gets a flat tyre on the way home. Just used the spare for the other front yesterday >:(

More updates to come.

Hairy Santa

looks like you have a full rebuild on the go there mates

Bulldog Bri

Thought you were one for driving the cars and not building them!!!  ;D going by earlier posts that is.

8)

Richard

Quite a set of projects going on this winter !

Martin will make light work of most jobs on a car  ;D

'The Gaffer'

You got me there Bri :-[

However, as Rich so eliquently pointed out, its Martin who is the main wiz kid. I am just the right hand man although I have to say, I made a pretty good job of the chassis and pedal box refurb today.

Gleaming...

Gleaming 2

Pedal box refurb, now with in line pedals and a space to rest my left foot.

Martins handywork, an extra 3" added to the right side of pedal box. A new setion of chassis welded on.

Next job, learn how to use my new camera phone properly so my pics are clear. Then make a start on putting new panels on around the footwell.

Next job after that is to modify the diff carrier so that diff is in line with wheels, at present it is just offset making the drive shafts work harder than try should.

David H

go on Phil!! get stuck in mate!

nice job, both of you

'The Gaffer'

Spent the day on the car today, I got to have my first go on an air riveter too... What a brilliant tool 8)

New panel fabricated by Martin. Another one was made for the inside too to be fitted tomorrow.

We also lined up diff so flanges are now in line with drive shafts, this should reduce wear on joints considerably.

Started work on handbrake, but need new cable. I think its a Sierra one.. anyone got one they dont need?

Update tomorrow.

Dixie

Quote from: G & Toniq on 26, December, 2009, 05:38:54 PM
Spent the day on the car today, I got to have my first go on an air riveter too... What a brilliant tool 8)

New panel fabricated by Martin. Another one was made for the inside too to be fitted tomorrow.

We also lined up diff so flanges are now in line with drive shafts, this should reduce wear on joints considerably.

Started work on handbrake, but need new cable. I think its a Sierra one.. anyone got one they dont need?

Update tomorrow.

looking good mate.  I wasn't allowed to play today, had 19 people for lunch.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Dixie on 26, December, 2009, 10:04:10 PM
looking good mate.  I wasn't allowed to play today, had 19 people for lunch.

Cheers. You must have a huge cooker!! :o

Getting diff fully secured today.

Martin fitted new tunnel side footwell panel early this morning. I had a late night so was a lightweight today getting into the workshop a bit late :-[

Pleased with the days work though ending with new holes being cut in the dash for my new gauges.

Stuck for a few parts now so work will probably have to stop until the new year :(

More pics and update as and when the shops open.

Richard

19 people for lunch ! WOW

You must have mega cupboards just for plates, let alone the rest of it !

Dixie

Quote from: Richard on 27, December, 2009, 09:37:43 PM
19 people for lunch ! WOW

You must have mega cupboards just for plates, let alone the rest of it !

13 adults, one 17 yr old that eats more than me and 5 kids.  Had to feed them in 2 sittings.  Spent all day washing up.  Cob sat in the garage all day un loved.

Richard

Poor Cob   :(

Mind you that could have been great fun with so many people in one place, hard work preparing and clearing but suspect it would have been very well appreciated !

'The Gaffer'

Ok, today I fitted and wired up my new gauges.

First get a little wood on.

Next, fire her up.

Next, having drilled the holes, wire up the gauges.

Next fit them in place, they are at an angle as they are on the passenger side.

Coming soon, new fuel sender to be fitted to tank.

Bulldog Bri

Dixie

Phil.

They look great.  Like the idea of putting them on an angle.

Gunna be interesting seeing all the mods everyone has done to thier cars.

Mark

'The Gaffer'

A little more progress, got my new tube-in-tube prop fitted. Another great creation from from Nigel at Chards of Feeder Road, Bristol. This should take out a fair bit of backlash whip and make for a smoother drive.

Next I fitted re-worked fuel tank with baffles fitted. I now have a fuel sender too. (Thanks Nick - AKA Ali Wizard)

More to come.

Bulldog Bri

Hairy Santa

Starting to come together now, looks like a couple of well planned jobs

That prop should sort out a lot of the problems -- ( but are you sure you have it on the right way round )  ;D  ;)

wont be long before your back on the road

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 25, January, 2010, 11:44:56 AM
That prop should sort out a lot of the problems -- ( but are you sure you have it on the right way round )  ;D  ;)

Cheers matey.

Damn now you come to mention it, not only have I put it on backwards, somehow its driving the front wheels too :o ;)

paintman

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: paintman on 26, January, 2010, 12:31:20 AM
Its 4 wheel drive then? ;D

Now theres a thought, has anybody ever made a 4x4 kitcar? Murataya's etc aside.

David H

Yes they have indeed! Dax have done a 4 wheel drive Rush which is pretty tasty. There have been a couple for sale over the years. One was made with the 0-60 record in mind using a cossie lump. sweet.

Back form my Snowboarding with a bust ankle. Great. Can just walk and drive so i should consider myself lucky. Thats what happens when you time trial on an icy mountain with a piece of wood strapped to your feet. Still, just under 60mph isn't too shabby on a snowboard.

going out for a drive in the next hour for a few more running in miles!

Richard

Dakar 4x4 but perhaps pushing a car status a bit.

Bulldog Bri

Think I saw you on the Ring Road this evening Dave, first time going north on the Syston roundabout then again running south on the Shortwood straight. The car sounded great and looked good.
I was walking the dog on the foot bridge for the first time by the Horseshoe Pub and the cycle path near the kebab stall for the second  ;D You never know who is watching eh? Lol...   :D

8)

David H

Just as well i was keeping within the speed limits then.... it was bloody cold but i have no choice if i want it ready for the season. Thats funny, you cant even fart without someone you know being around!! lol!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: David H on 26, January, 2010, 06:47:20 PM
Yes they have indeed! Dax have done a 4 wheel drive Rush which is pretty tasty. There have been a couple for sale over the years. One was made with the 0-60 record in mind using a cossie lump. sweet.

Back form my Snowboarding with a bust ankle. Great. Can just walk and drive so i should consider myself lucky. Thats what happens when you time trial on an icy mountain with a piece of wood strapped to your feet. Still, just under 60mph isn't too shabby on a snowboard.

going out for a drive in the next hour for a few more running in miles!

Ah, just read up on the Dax. Looks like a great straight liner, not too good on the bends apparently but hitting 60 in 2.48 seconds and 100 in 6.6, enough to get it into the Guinness Book of Records as the fastest accelerating 2-litre production car. Or rather it would have been, had its creator been willing to build 100 identical copies. Interesting stuff.

As far as your busted ankle goes mate, I'm pleased to see you back in one piece, but have you got a death wish or something? 60 mph on a piece of wood, are you mad?? :o

Looks like the spies are out, is no one safe from the BKCC 8)

David H

I should think it would have been ok round the corners if you were somewhat sensible but i have no idea what it must feel like to keep that car on the road. Fun.

Death wish... erm it may appear so but truely i have havent. My friends would argue the point.

Cant wait to get the car run in!!

'The Gaffer'

Ok no pics as not much to see, but today we wired and sealed fuel sender to tank, re fitted fuel pump using a custom bracket (thanks Martin) and fitted new tank vent. Then we ran new fuel line under car with new clips.

Next, new gauge wiring was routed into engine bay ready for connection and oil drained and new oil filter fitted ready for new pressure sensor and oil refill.

Surprising how long those few jobs took but a few more evenings work should see the bodywork back on next weekend.

'The Gaffer'

Right, wiring is almost complete apart from fitting new braided oil pressure sender pipe and wiring sender.

and most of the bodywork is back on whaa heyy..

New handbrake assy being fabricated..

New handbrake cable fitted..

Nose cone back on but lights a bit wonky..

Glued in carpets and trial fitted new seat..

Next, fit both seats, change harness eyebolt position, fill engine oil, fit new daylight running lights.

'Mendip Wurzel'

I also have put some new day light running lights on my Kitcar. I put them on the mud guards so that on coming drivers can see the width of the vehicle at night.
I have had a few occasion at night where drivers seem to see the width of the headlights and not the width of the actual car, thereby coming too close for comfort. Hopefully these new lights will help to stop that problem.

'The Gaffer'

Yeah, mine are going on the front mudgaurds too. Should be interesting. I would rather not mess with the lines of the car but needs must.

Being the stealth colour my car is, especially on a grey day, I have been close enough to other drivers to see the whites of their eyes before they see me. On a couple of occaisions I really thought they were just going to run over me.. especially the ones in the big 4X4's.

One thing with having them on the mudgaurds is they might help me to see round corners too ;D

Bulldog Bri

That seat looks alot more comfortable Phil, and Carpets!!! wow luxury  ;D

8)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: bulldog bri on 16, February, 2010, 11:46:46 AM
That seat looks alot more comfortable Phil

Its surprising just how comfortable my old seats were, but these definately have the edge. I'm thinking long distance :)

Quarrycars

Hi Phil, thanks for posting the pictures of your Toniq work, being out of touch with the UK kit car scene they are very informative.  The power train looks interesting, I hadn't seen a motorcyle engine used 'inline', I'm guessing the output sprocket has been replaced with a drive flange and connects a prop shaft to the rear diff.
Is the diff a production car part?  Do you need a reverse gear?  Back in the day of 2-strokes you could just start the engine backwards.
Does the gearbox stand up to the extra weight of a car OK?
Would it have been more efficient to mount the enging transversly with a looong chain to the rear axle, bevel gears waste a lot of power.

'The Gaffer'

Thanks :) A lot of bike engines are mounted like this in 7 style kit cars. It think it would be a bit of a squeeze geeting one in the back. Many larger track cars with bike engines in do rear mount engines with chain drive.

Yes you are correct, instead of the usual chain sprocket a special drive flange is used to connect to the prop.

I think a long chain flying around next to me would be a bit scary, but a good concept. I dont know why no one has tried it, maybe its just too unsafe.

I use a 7" Ford limited slip diff.

Theres still not a great wieght in the car say 550kg, so not too much extra strain on gearbox.

I would like reverse for piece of mind, but I dont really need it - the car is light enough to push. Unless its on a hill :D

Glad you are enjoying the forum.

Quarrycars

One advantage of the bike gearbox must be that it is sequential shift, conversions for manual car boxs seem to be very expensive.  Also they must sound great, went to an indoor speedway event this weekend, the sidehacks run 4-cyl bike engines, the howl of 4 of them indoors was pretty impresive.
I know the idea of a long chain seems a bit strange but I saw a homebuilt helicoptor with a toothed belt drive to the tail rotor!
Is the propshaft one piece?  What is the final drive ratio?
Cheerz, JT

'The Gaffer'

With my car I have sequential clutch-less up and downshifts with auto-blip on downshifts just by pressing two buttons on the steering wheel. Makes for F1 fun, just without the horsepower :) Power to weight ratio is not bad though.

I have been told the car should do 0-60 sub 4 seconds, never really timed it though, everythings a blur after 2 seconds :o

It has a two piece prop, and an uprated clutch.

I was attracted to bike engined cars because me and the wife were scared I'd kill myself on another bike, but I love the sound of 11,000 rpm. So what better... a bike engined car (BEC) 8)

Maybe someone will look at a belt driven transmission, if a helicopter tail rotor can handle the force then maybe a kit car can??

Quarrycars

Sounds great, is the electric shift from the bike or a mod  Tried to find out how much power is needed to drive a 'coptor tail rotor, no one seemed to know but he belt was a lot smaller the one on a Harley.  Of course a tail rotor doesn't have to handle gearshifts and torque reversals.
My favorite description of a helicoptor "A triumph of technology over common sense" ;D

'The Gaffer'

I have used two mods, a Kliktronic solenoid shifting system and a Trickshifter that kills ignition between shifts and applies a throttle blip on downshifts as well so no crunching gears :)

Yeah a belt would have to put up with a lot of punishment.

'Mendip Wurzel'

I've ended up with a Kit Car for the same reason as you Phil in that my wife did not want me to have another motorbike. In her eyes thay are just too dangerous. As things have turned out I am glad, as I actaully prefer the Kit Car scene.