+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another busy in the garage thread

Started by 'The Gaffer', 19, December, 2009, 07:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarrycars

The Kliktronic and Trickshifter look like a really neat setup, do you know of any sequential shift conversions for convential g-boxs.
A few years ago while in the UK I rented a small Vauxhall with an automatic/sequential shift box, didn't have much time to play with it but from a quick look under the bonnet it appeared to be a convential box with an electric shift motor mounted on top of it, didn't look like it had a torque convertor, some kind of electric clutch?  Is anyone familiar with this setup?
Thanks for your patience, JT

Quarrycars

To answer my own question, it seems the car had a Vauxhall 'Easytronic', Ford and Renault have similar shifters.  They are a convention clutch and gear box with 2 electric motors for the shift and 1 to operate the clutch.  You do get maunual sequential shifting but they make no pretense at being a sport transmission, the major complaint seems to be they are slow shifting.
I guess to get real performance shifting you have to go with the twin clutch system that VW are using, they claim 50ms shifts so they are finaly catching up with the bikes!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MendipWursel on 18, February, 2010, 02:08:57 PM
I actaully prefer the Kit Car scene.

Likewise :)

Plenty of manual sequential box convertions around, very expensive though and mainly used for pure competition use. Noisey too :) Cant say I've ever seen electric shift convertions for conventional boxes.

'The Gaffer'

Ok bit of an update, light finally at the tunnel now. Martin and I spent Sunday fabricating a new handbrake and finishing wiring off. The old handbrake was useless, so a new cable, new lever and two ingeniously, designed by Martin, cable re-routing tubes were made and fitted, this should result in much better holding power.

New tubes making cable run much better.

New handbrake assy in progress.

The wiring is a bit of a mess, but should be totally done by the end of the week.

New oil presure light and pressure sender wired in.

Next job, oil and water the engine and go for a fire up... Not literally I hope :)

Richard

lots of changes this winter Phil, going to feel a different car.

'The Gaffer'

Ok, I'm back on the road. A lot of hard work has been done on the car over the winter months - you might say its been almost rebuilt.

A big thanks to Martin (BKCC member Reluctant) for his invaluable help and use of facilities - he stuck with me through thick and thin.

Here's a list of what's been done and what's ongoing, probably forgot a few things but I have to say it was great to finally get the car back on the road on the first BKCC run out, it reminded me of why I got into kit cars in the first place ;D

1.     Re-built diff- Phil Jones Engine Developments. Removed and refitted.
2.     Re-built prop shaft utilising tube in tube technology – Nigel, Chards of Feeder Road. Removed and refitted.
3.     New drive shafts (Works of art) – Nigel, Chards of Feeder Road.
4.     Repositioned diff mounts to minimise drive shaft offset angle joint wear.
5.     Extended chassis and internal panel widths to accommodate my size 11 feet. It's nice to rest my foot next to the clutch pedal now.
6.     Re-positioned all pedals.
7.     Repositioned steering column height and cut dash to suit.
8.     Fitted new petrol tank fuel sender – Nick, 'Ali Wizard'.
9.     Reworked fuel tank, re-welding internal baffles – Nick, 'Ali Wizard'
10.   Fitted new fuel line from tank to carbs using new fuel filter.
11.   Fitted new oil pressure sender and warning light.
12.   Fitted new gauges, oil pressure, fuel level, volts and water temp.
13.   Did some reworking of original wiring and added more fuses.
14.   Made new handbrake mounting assy and replaced handbrake.
15.   Replaced handbrake cable and re-routed using new fabricated tubes for smoother operation.
16.   Fitted new seats – Intatrim.
17.   Tidied up chassis and repainted where necessary.
18.   Replaced and repositioned new harness eyebolts.
19.   Fabricated new brackets for fuel pump and Veypor digital dash sender,
20.   Set up and tested new Trickshifter / Klictronic clutchless up and down gear change system.
21.   Fitted new Pro Race 3 Wheels in anthracite with R888 tyres.
22.   Fitted new Veypor VR2 Digital Dash system. – Daytron Technology.
23.   New spark plugs.
24.   New air filter – TTS
25.   New diff oil.
26.   New engine oil – Andy, AB performance.
27.   New brake pads, and system bleed.
28.   Countless new nuts, bolts and many consumables.

On-going jobs...

1.   Bonnet vents or induction tubes.
2.   Daylight running lights.
3.   New aero-screen, thanks MarkG.
4.   Handbrake surround and gaiter.
5.   Matting or checker plate in foot wells.
6.   A few odd jobs permanently securing things.
7.   A good clean and polish.

I know other members have been doing a lot of work on their cars too over the winter so it will be great to exchange stories during a meet or run out in the near future.

Daley Down Under

Good grief - major list.  Trouble is we all know our lists never finish.  At least with the warmer weather, getting stuff done is a little easier.

In summary, well done A+ but more to do.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 06, April, 2010, 09:10:51 AM
In summary, well done A+ but more to do.

Thank you sir ;D. Some people on here will tell you that I would never get involved in doing any work on my car, and that all I wanted to do was drive it.

My way of thinking changed slightly during the above list and to be honest, I did actually enjoy it although at times it felt like it was never going to end.

I still prefer to drive rather than fix though.

Daley Down Under

Must admit I'm more partial to driving as well (especially bearing in mind current circumstances).  That said if work leads to improvements then always worthwhile.

Richard

When you write all the things in one list it really is like you've got a new car over winter. I bet with those changes you can really feel the difference to where you were at the end of last year.

Think I need more than one car to cover the enjoyment areas.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Richard on 06, April, 2010, 10:52:20 PM
When you write all the things in one list it really is like you've got a new car over winter. I bet with those changes you can really feel the difference to where you were at the end of last year.

Yes the car feels tighter, the transmission is smooth, and the seats more comfortable, I can  see whats going on with the replacment gauges and I can actually stop on a hill with the new handbrake :)

All in all a much more confident drive, especially as I now know every nut and bolt in the car.