News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

How to remove scratches in aluminium panels ?

Started by Richard, 06, March, 2010, 09:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Help, is there a well tried and proven to remove scratches in Ali panels ?

Got some annoying scratches from the plasma cutting machine and wondering short of sanding like crazy and then eventually polishing if there is any other way you have found in getting the scratches out ?

'The Gaffer'

I have heard you can use a fine cutting compound right down to a scouring pad dependent on how deep the scratches are.

Apparently even toothpaste can work.

I beleive you are painting the panels? in whitch case no need to polish the whole thing.

Furore Phil

If you are painting, just use filler, that'll sort it out. As it's bare aluminium you should check your filler is compatible first. Some undercoats will fill scratches if they are shallow enough.

If you are leaving it as bare aluminium, then I think your stuck with polishing with finer & finer grits.

There is a new aluminium welding kit that might help if it is really deep. but you'll still need to sand & polish to finish off.

Richard

Kind of thinking elbow grease it is. Will experiment with various tips I've had and let you know the result.

As for Toothpaste there is one brilliant use for it that not all people seem to know - skin burns,  obvious not the hospital treatment type but having had a little experiment after burning 4 fingers with the various things heard, 1) just cold running water 2) Aloe Vera 3) some professional cream whose name escapes me and 4) Toothpaste, well 4) although not immediately best at making better very quickly it easily won and resulted in no scar really fast, so what an invention it is.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Richard on 06, March, 2010, 09:05:40 PM
Help, is there a well tried and proven to remove scratches in Ali panels ?

Got some annoying scratches from the plasma cutting machine and wondering short of sanding like crazy and then eventually polishing if there is any other way you have found in getting the scratches out ?

Just had fun doing the ones on the rear of the Spectre and found the best way was start with 1000 grit - plenty of soap in the water and work up 1200-1500-2000 - then brasso and solvo autosol
I think gardeners sell elbow grease by the kilo - hope you have as much fun as I did  ::)

Richard

Oh definitely had a bit of fun  :-\  interspersed sanding window frames with sanding a panel, must be mad.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Richard on 07, March, 2010, 09:33:43 PM
Oh definitely had a bit of fun  :-\  interspersed sanding window frames with sanding a panel, must be mad.

window frames ???

are they the plastic things that the glass sits in  :o

Richard

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 08, March, 2010, 02:11:24 AM
Quote from: Richard on 07, March, 2010, 09:33:43 PM

window frames ???

are they the plastic things that the glass sits in  :o

You'll remember these from old times, sometimes houses were built using wooden framed windows and many still exist, so a bit on the house and a bit on the car,means neither gets done very quickly   :D

paintman

I'll give you a quote to finish the windows if you like...special rate!! :P

testingtesting

I've got the same problem, i'm just using wet and dry in the same direction to give a brushed alloy look.

Richard

The difference between Plasma cut and Laser cut of course and then the type of Plasma cutting machine.

Still need the elbow grease process for other marks and scratches.

Paintman if you fancy giving a quote for painting outside of house it is in the budget plan for this year, so lets talk.