News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Ballast resistor?

Started by Bulldog Bri, 21, March, 2010, 03:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

I've just finished completly rewired the Bulldog, everything works as it should.... except the fuel & temp guage  >:(

When I turn the ignition key, they both start working then after about 10sec's they both just cut out as though I'd turned the power off.

Is this the old ballast resistor causing this to happen?

Any suggestions?

8)

'The Gaffer'

Gauges can do some funny things if there isnt a good earth to senders and / or gauges. That would be my first check.

Also just double check wiring to gauges and make sure the wires from the relevant senders are connected to the correct gauges.

Good luck.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: bulldog bri on 21, March, 2010, 03:40:44 PM
I've just finished completly rewired the Bulldog, everything works as it should.... except the fuel & temp guage  >:(

When I turn the ignition key, they both start working then after about 10sec's they both just cut out as though I'd turned the power off.

Is this the old ballast resistor causing this to happen?

Any suggestions?

Hi Bri, there aint a lot else that is going to give this type of fault, maybe possibly a loose earth but doubtful -- I'd go with the resister in the first place

Quarrycars

If I remember right the little 2 wire device is a voltage stabilizer that supplies a steady 10 volts to the guages, the ground path is then through the sensors.  Check for 10 volts at the guages. (Used to be the plain green wire if it is BS wiring).
JT

Bulldog Bri

Thanks guys for your help.

Though I remembered I had one in the Merlin, so I borrowed that one and it did the same, started to move then drop. So wired both guages directly cutting out the stabilizer and they work fine?  ??? 

So I gonna leave them like that for now!  ::) and see

8)

Richard

Good you got it working again, seems you keep pinching parts from one car to another one by one.

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Richard on 22, March, 2010, 11:11:17 AM
Good you got it working again, seems you keep pinching parts from one car to another one by one.

Borrow not pinch  ;)

8)

Quarrycars

Without the stabilizer you may get some variation in gauge reading as electrical loads change but probaly no big deal.  Try switching on the lights with the engine idling and see if the guages move.
JT

Richard

must be a lot less electrics to run than original, Quarry speaks a lot of sense, be interesting to hear what you observe Bri.

Dixie

Had a simliar issue on the Cob. Temp guage would read a steady 85 deg C and then when I switched the lights on it would rise to 90 deg.  Put a stabilizer in and all sorted.  Didn't earth the stabilizer, it only had 2 sets of terminals, one for 12V in and another for output, seems to work ok.

M

'The Gaffer'

I have just fitted 4 new ETB gauges, no mention of fitting a resistor with them though. Cant say I've done any big tests yet as the engine is'nt running right now until new oil is put in and theres no fuel in the tank.

Do I need ballast resistors?