+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Leaking fuel tank

Started by 'The Gaffer', 14, May, 2010, 12:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Went to get the car out of the garage and could smell fuel before I even opened the door >:(

Checked all the hoses and clips were tight but it turns out my fuel tank has developed a tiny leak. All this just before my first trackday!!

Nothing for it I thought, bodywork has to come off again. Dave H then said why dont we just cut a hole in the top and pull the tank out. It will always be of use to have access there so off I go cutting up my car.. Thanks for the moral support Dave :)

Dont ever give me power tools, you may fear for your life..

A nice cut if I say so myself

Only problem is, hole is just too small to get the tank out

Need to put a job or two off tomorrow if I stand a chance of doing a temp repair before the trackday on Saturday.

Anyone know of a good sealant for an ally fuel tank? Only as a tep measure as I intend to get a new tank built.

David H

Bol%*x. How much more needs to be cut to get it out?

'Mendip Wurzel'

How anoying that the hole is too small...

Richard

Have no doubt about you and power tools  ;D

What is access like underneath ?
Can often be the case that tank was inserted from bottom up and then staps bolted / fixed into place to hold it there as design of chassis prevents lowering tank into place.   Or, did you check this already ?

Bulldog Bri

I did have a few tiny holes in my tank and used this stop leak metal putty stuff from the auto shop so far still holding!!!  ;D

8)

Hairy Santa

I have used fibreglass on steel tanks, should work on ally, rough it up a bit to give it a key

I feel for you Phil - bummer   

Martin Higgs

Bad luck Phil hope you get it sorted quickly,I know only to well what its like to have these problems, I just had the new oil seal delivered but not sure if I will make the run to Hartleys on Sunday. Hope the Track day goes well.

Quarrycars

I recomend J-B Weld, it is imperious to gas and very strong, the steering head tube on my bike is glued together with it!

'The Gaffer'

Been out for a 25 mile run this eve after taking tank out and doing a repair on it with liquid weld and no leaks to report :) (Only way is up for the tank I'm afraid - diff and tank mounts in the way otherwise)

Thanks for the support folks, up in 5 1/2 hours for the trackday so off to bed.