Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Car Issues

Started by YellaBelly, 08, June, 2010, 09:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Evening all, got a small problem:

Bought a 1996 Mk3 Golf 1.8i Cabriolet today for my missus, car has been hardly used for the past year only done 600 miles since last MOT (Jan 2009). It ran fine, started no problem.

Drove it back today from the seller to the MOT, stopping to fill up on the way. No issues, got to MOT, it passed with flying colours, picked it up from there, drove it home, left it running for a few minutes while I was faffing around with the hood etc.

After about 3-4 minutes, the engine started to run rough then just spluttered to a stop. Tried re-starting but nothing.

Left it for about 1/2 hr and tried again but nothing. It smells like there is fuel getting through, but I checked for a spark at each plug lead and seems there is none.

Any pointers please? I am going to get a new distributor cap and rotor arm, but do not have any info to check the dizzy or coil pack.

It seems real strange that the car has been fine all day, started and stopped several times and it never missed a beat on the dual carriageway coming back. I did wonder if the fact that it had been stood for so long then had a real good run might have 'popped' something?

Don't seem to be having much luck with cars lately :(

JB

andygtm

A simalar thing happened to me with the GTM on my journey home from picking it up. In my case the battery had run flat because the alternator was shot. The car ran very poorly and ground to a halt too. Along came the good old AA man hooked up on of those  portable battery booster thingy's and that got me home with no problems. Try to one of these 1st. Maybe its the same problem. Hope this helps.

YellaBelly

Thanks for the reply mate, but the battery is fine. It was new a year ago and the engine spins really fast for ages so no loss of power there.

JB

YellaBelly

It was the coil pack, changed the leads, cap and rotor arm as well as they were a bit ropey anyhow.

:D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: YellaBelly on 09, June, 2010, 01:45:27 PM
It was the coil pack, changed the leads, cap and rotor arm as well as they were a bit ropey anyhow.

:D

Sorted.

YellaBelly

Yep, thank god!

Now just got to get the damn Disco going, the head's coming off next, new gaskets etc. and see if there's anything dodgy going on under there. I've also bought another injection pump of the bay of E incase that's my next step (£42 so not too bad).

Maybe I can get some damn time in on the build this weekend???

I'm aiming to make the Sunday meet this week too :)

JB