+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Riveting tools - opinions please

Started by Richard, 04, June, 2009, 10:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Just canvassing opinion as I do not have such a tool at the moment.

What have you used ?
Which type of tool do you think is better / easier to use ?

I have a leaning towards the "lazy" manual approach at the moment.

Bulldog Bri

I did the riviting on my car with a large expanding type gun, lots of leverage behind it and little effort, but only good in clear areas. In tight areas I had to use the smaller squeeze together sissor type one  both did the job ok....

8)

'The Gaffer'

Complete Kit Car did a review on riveters in the apr 09 edition.

Best buys.

Basic
Clarke CHT135 £9.19
Laser 3983 £13.32

Sissor type
Clarke CHT132 £34.38

Professional (Long handles)
Draper 36290 £34.86

They tested quite a few and results were based on build quality, features, in use, and contents

Mark G

I found I needed a 'lazy tongue' riveter to do the floor and a normal riveter with a swivel head for various other parts of the build.

Bulldog Bri

I used a lazy tounge rieter for the floor on my locost. though it was a freinds. I'll see if it can be borrowed for you and bring it down to the meeting.

8)

Richard

Quote from: bulldog bri on 09, June, 2009, 09:57:25 AM
I used a lazy tounge rieter for the floor on my locost. though it was a freinds. I'll see if it can be borrowed for you and bring it down to the meeting.

8)

Thanks, that would be great but not an imperative, could always fund a screwfix / toolstation order.

Bulldog Bri

never hurts to ask... I'll let you know

8)

YellaBelly

I bought an air rivetter some time ago, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Apparently they are the dogs do das :D

Bulldog Bri

oooohh... Big toys!! can't beat them  ;D

8)

'The Gaffer'

Yeah, I bet that sucker fires faster than an UZI  ;D

Rosco

When I put the alluminium shete on the bottom of my locost I started with a normal hand riveter, got cramp, then used a lazy... much easier & quicker.

Cheers,

Rosco.....

gingerpaul

I've got a Clarke air rivetter and it's fantastic. When I do the odd single rivet with my manual gun it reminds me how much sweat was saved by buying it before starting my build! Aldi quite often have small compressors in for ~£60 that would run one no problem.

Richard

Lazy riveter has been put into practice on the donor car, very simple but clearly too big for some places.