Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Family weekend at Castle Combe

Started by 'The Gaffer', 23, March, 2012, 04:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

'The Gaffer'

Copy of email from Bristol Motor Club

We are organising a motorsport weekend at Castle Combe circuit on 23/24 June.

This is a follow-on from our successful centenary weekend there last year, and it comprises our regular Dick Mayo Sprint on the Saturday, a party with Hog Roast supper and live music in the paddock in the evening, free overnight camping (for anyone so inclined - or over the limit!) and on Sunday a day's entertainment under the general title "Family Sports Car Day."

We want to put on a display of Sports Cars, centred on the themes of 50 Years of the AC Cobra, 50 Years of the Triumph Spitfire, and 50 years of the Ford (Lotus) Cortina. As well as the opportunity to display cars in the paddock alongside other equally interesting sports cars, we're offering some family-friendly entertainment, as we did last year, plus paced parade laps on the circuit.

We will be joined from lunchtime onwards by participants in the Chipping Sodbury Rotary Club Classic Run - 160 classic cars will show up and be on display for the afternoon, half of whom will also take to the track.

It will be free to attend to display a car, but a charge of £10 per car to get out on the track.

I'm contacting you to see if you and your members would be interested in attending and putting on a BKCC display - 6-10 cars would be good, and all welcome to take up the invitation to the Saturday evening party and the parade laps on the Sunday.

I just wanted to gauge your reaction: if you're interested we will in due course send out more formal invitations with RSVPs etc.

Regards

So, who's up for it?

WALNUT

Id be up for the Sunday

Tony

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: WALLNUT on 23, March, 2012, 04:41:48 PM
Id be up for the Sunday

Tony
Good to see you back online Tony..... it must be those blue skys and hint of summer

'The Gaffer'

Krazyken

Wallnut

Welcome Back!  Must be the warner weather that has brought you out of your winter hibernation.  :-*

Moleman

Krazyken

Sorry Gaffer

Didn't mean to hijack your thread with Wallnuts reappearance, it's a definite possibility for me! ;D

Sumov8

Could be up for a day out, any more details?

This does clash with the Bath Pageant on the same weekend at the Bath Race course so we could make this a full weekend  :-\

Bulldog Bri

Definitely up for this one, possibly with 2 cars  ;D

8)

paintman

I think the "Somerset Chapter" might be up for this.....bit far off for a firm commitment thou. ::)

Sumov8

Gaffer

Did you get any more details on this event, if the camping is good at Stoneleigh I may look at staying over night here as well

Any one else up for it? :-\

Dixie

Just out of interest, the Cobra Club are organising a trip to this event with a parade lap to celebrate 50 yrs of the Cobra.

Mark

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Sumov8 on 19, April, 2012, 08:06:56 PM
Gaffer

Did you get any more details on this event, if the camping is good at Stoneleigh I may look at staying over night here as well

Any one else up for it? :-\

Only info I have is copy of email in first post sorry. Looks like a good event to me.

YellaBelly

Only 5 minutes down the road for me, I'm up for it (might even have the car done by then! :) )

Sumov8

I take it we have no more info on this, so it will be a turn up and see what its like weekend   :P

'The Gaffer'

Here is some more info. See attached PDF.

There is a form to fill in and if there is enough interest I may be able to organise a club stand.

Moleman

Bulldog Bri

Looking at the form. there is a hog roast at £17.50 each, bit steep for us, would it ok to bring our BBQ for the eve?  :-[

8)

nigel

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: bulldog bri on 09, June, 2012, 12:37:03 PM
Looking at the form. there is a hog roast at £17.50 each, bit steep for us, would it ok to bring our BBQ for the eve?  :-[

8)

Cant see why not? As long as your not selling burgers :)

What can they do?

MicksRedNova

Hi Guys
I'd like to join in the fun too. I was planning on getting up to the Newark Kitcar show this weekend (16/17 June) but have been put off by the bad weather. So a trip out to Castle Coombe would be triffic next weekend if the sun comes out.
See you there.

Mick 8)

Sumov8

Due to the mother inlaw still breathing I can only go on the Saturday now :-[
it seems I am expected to attend her birthday meal as its around my house.

Any one else going in the morning from north Bristol?

Moleman

If it will be dry on sunday I will be going up early for the day.
I have rang the organiser Allen Harris & he was happy for us just to turn up at the show & go in the exhibitors gate (which will be sign posted). & they said there should be room to park up with the other guys if there ain't too many of us.
Is anyone going to be there this sunday? If so & you see a yellow westy with a Wasp on the back then that will be me.  :D
If it's dry that it.  :(

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Moleman on 21, June, 2012, 08:04:16 PM
If it will be dry on sunday I will be going up early for the day.
I have rang the organiser Allen Harris & he was happy for us just to turn up at the show & go in the exhibitors gate (which will be sign posted). & they said there should be room to park up with the other guys if there ain't too many of us.
Is anyone going to be there this sunday? If so & you see a yellow westy with a Wasp on the back then that will be me.  :D
If it's dry that it.  :(

Well done, lets see what the weather holds in store.

Almondsburyhills

Went for a trip down today to see the sprint. very cloudy and windy cant believe i got a sun tan. Lots of caterhams today no cobras apart from sumov8 (steve`s)..
Unable to go tommorow hope the weather stays good for the ones that attend...

'The Gaffer'

Sorry I will not be able to make this, looks like my alternator has blown up :(

fullpint

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 23, June, 2012, 08:10:16 PM
Sorry I will not be able to make this, looks like my alternator has blown up :(
:'( Not good.. Still hopefully you can source a new one today.. Weather's looking like it may be nice for them today  8)

Sumov8

Saturday was definately the drier day I think, quite a good sprint with a variety of car's leaving every 30 seconds

Managed to get there and back without the roof up!!

Moleman

Waited all morning to see if it will clear up. so by 12 it was still raining & we desided to go to a friends house only for the sun to come out in the afternoon.   ???
I was there all afternoon thinking thats just bloody typical.  :-[
We have just got home to find out there has been a accident on the M4 as the traffic is bad around here, So I hope if anyone went they had a good time & are not stuck in the tailbacks as it would have been more than likely we would have been stuck in it right now. :(

fullpint

Rain!!! I'm only about 4 miles from Combe and no rain (as such) here. This afternoon was nice in Rudloe..

Hairy Santa

Well I left Bristol at 8.30am this morning to travel up to Combe in the new car, met Mark and Tony halfway and I havn't seen one drop of rain all day long

Bloody good day I thought

Dixie

Left Shepton at 8.15am in a biblical storm.  But thought what the hell.  Got to Dean near Frome and the sun came out and stayed out all of the day. Totally superb day, Pete's Daytona sounds lovely.

12 laps in total of the track, top speed was 105MPH.

Brian's girlfriend Anna was passenger with me for 3 x laps.  Also a random women asked if she could sit as passenger for another 3 x laps, seemed rude not to yes.

Sorry to Brian for leaving early, he was going to have a drive round the track in the Dax.  He had already been round in Pete's Daytona.  Time was ticking on and I wanted to get back for a trial erection of my daughters tent before her school camp next week.

Those who didn't/couldn't make it, missed a treat.

Mark

Bulldog Bri

What a fantastic day!!!  8)

I'll echo Dixie, in saying those who didn't go missed a really good day, weather was great and the oppotunity to take the car around the track. I'm not one to do track days but this was just right for some easy drive / parade (ish) laps. I went out twice before lunch in the Bulldog then Pete offered ME! the chance to drive the Daytona around the track! I couldn't refuse, Thanks again Pete, loved it. ;D Then I let Anna have a drive of the Bulldog for the last 3 laps of the day for us.
Only have a couple of pics as I was having to much fun.

Anna getting ready

Petes awsome Daytona Coupe

No probs Mark, Anna enjoyed the ride out.

8)
If anyone else has some pics of the Bulldog on the track could I get a copy of them, Cheers  :-*

Moleman

Thats it. make me feel even more crap about missing it than I aready do.  :-[
It was raining all morning here in North bristol, I thought it was gonna be a washout. :(

Dixie

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

M

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Moleman on 24, June, 2012, 09:20:24 PM
Thats it. make me feel even more crap about missing it than I aready do.  :-[
It was raining all morning here in North bristol, I thought it was gonna be a washout. :(

sorry mate  - just letting you know how the weather was today

I suppose you could always consider moving to south Bristol due to excess wetness up north   ;)

fullpint

That some nice photos and from the looks of it Sunday was a great day.. Shame I couldn't make it, gutted but the year is still young.... :P

Sumov8

Looks like I have to eat my word's as the only way you would get on the track on the Saturday was to enter the Sprint, helmet and quiet car required.

North Bristol must have its own climate range, as I couldnt even get into the shed without being drenched!!

Looks like every one enjoyed a great weekend, I would put this on the calender for next year :)

fullpint

So any car was allowed on track then for a tenner!! And no lids needed. Does that mean also NO sound check? If so I'm gutted I missed out.  :(

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: fullpint on 25, June, 2012, 08:34:16 PM
So any car was allowed on track then for a tenner!! And no lids needed. Does that mean also NO sound check? If so I'm gutted I missed out.  :(
YUP  ;D

8)