Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Club meal at The anchor Inn in Tintern.

Started by Moleman, 07, July, 2015, 09:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

This is something I'm thinking of doing but would like to know what your thoughts are on this. The plan would be to meet up somewhere North Bristol on Sunday 16th August & head out on a nice drive to the Achor Inn at Tintern for a club meal, after that you have the option of visiting the Abbey or going off somewhere else for a drive along those lovely roads they have over there.
If this a popular then I will try to reserve us our own parking at the pub as well as the tables. We can head out for the afternoon & have an early tea or head out around 11.30am & have a late lunch I don't mind which.

What do you think?
Please let me know?
All of your opinions are welcome good or bad as well as suggestions you think might improve on the day
So what do you think?

Moleman

opps sorry guys it would have to be the Sunday after so the date for this would be Sunday 23rd August

sanzomat

I've never been to the Anchor. looks good on their website. I'm guessing the parking there is suitable for the cars? I've tended to shy away from the abbey area as it always seems packed out with tourists, coach parties etc. My personal favourite Wye Valley pub is the Boat Inn at Redbrook http://www.theboatpenallt.co.uk/ although it almost certainly isn't big enough for a group of us unless its one of those trips where not many turn up! Also the parking arrangement isn't great as you park up on the English side of the river and then cross over the footbridge alongside the old railway bridge over the Wye to get to the pub on the Welsh side so you have your pint in a different country to where your car is parked!

As we now have some Chepstow members perhaps they can advise...

Agree that doing this the day before Combe may not be the best idea!

Iancider

I am always up for that route - perhaps up via Tintern and back via the Malverns - roads don't come much better than that.

Ian

Iancider

Further to Sanzomat's comments:

There is a big car park at Tintern next to the Abbey but get a few coaches in it at high season as it will be and it is full.  There is no alternative to that.  I like the look of the Boat.  We shouldn't worry too much about the numbers - I am sure we can keep them down with a little effort!

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

This is only 6 days after the Combe track day outing Colin, are you sure you have allowed enough 'cone extraction' time??  :P

(I so know I am gonna regret saying that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Moleman

You just got to keep up on every lap & not go off then mate & you wont regret saying that mate. :)

Any more thoughts on this run out?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 07, July, 2015, 09:19:54 PM
We can head out for the afternoon & have an early tea or head out around 11.30am & have a late lunch I don't mind which.

What do you think?
Please let me know?
All of your opinions are welcome good or bad as well as suggestions you think might improve on the day
So what do you think?

I always think if you are going to do a Sunday then may as well go pretty early and enjoy the traffic-free roads to the full. Generally there is little traffic around before about 8.30am. That way we could have lunch at a normal-ish time too?

I know early Sunday mornings are hard but I have always found them more than worth the effort.

Last Sunday I went out on my own at 6.45am and didnt really see another car until gone 8am!! The air is great that time of day too, certainly wakes you up!  ;D

Iancider

QuoteLast Sunday I went out on my own at 6.45am and didn't really see another car until gone 8am!!

You can't see anything when you pass the speed of light! :P :o :D

Moleman

I am happy to go earlier if it is better for everyone?

Come on people please let me know what you think? :)

Sumov8

Colin  We would be fine for this run out / lunch :P

Brandy Barrel

Well as its 1.5 miles away from me I would jump at it...... But I'm am going to be abroad.
So I'm gutted, I would have given you all a guided tour of the tin tintern and its iron works and blast furnace..... A pet subject of mine plus the history of the area, so if you want to make it a later date...
But to give my four penny worth, the parking of cars is not a problem if mud morning. I'm sure the pub will make reservations just as they do for coaches, this pub has so much room, plus you can wander through the village, around the gift shops and craft stalls or over the old railway bridge, even along the shoreline up to the 2 other pubs. Plenty to do in tintern.
  Redbrook is now pay and display on the redbrook side and almost no parking outside the boat, plus the lanes are extremely narrow and there is a lot of tractor traffic around August.
They aren't slow either!!
I would personally persuade you not to go to the boat as a group.
If you want any more info then just shout.

Moleman

The date is not set in stone yet mate. Just waiting to see how much interest I will get for this one.  :)

Iancider

I concur with the Boat - it is necessary to park on the other side of the river and walk across the bridge.

I got carried away and planned a wonderful route last night making a circular tour arriving back at the Anchor for lunch and there are some spectacular roads in there!  It takes in the Wye valley and the Forest of Dean.  An ideal start point would be Morrisons car park at Cribbs Causeway. 

Views, valleys, hills, forest, twisting roads rivers and streams, cottages and scenery and maybe some sun!

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 08, July, 2015, 10:29:17 PM
QuoteLast Sunday I went out on my own at 6.45am and didn't really see another car until gone 8am!!

You can't see anything when you pass the speed of light! :P :o :D

Best laugh I've had all week. Thank you Ian!  :D

Facial Hair Optional

This sounds great, I've always wanted to see where t'intern-et was invented  :o :P :P

Brandy Barrel

Ian is right, especially this side of the water... No one gets up n out till after 10am

Moleman

Well we have about 5 people so far. Any more for this?  We could change the date if it is easier for other people to join us?

Moleman

damouk

I'm up for this one, although I will go over the top from here, if anyone else want's to covoy

Moleman

Would the following weekend be better for people? it is a bank holiday so may be too busy?

So Sunday 23rd or Sunday 30th?

So far we have moleman
                      Iancider
                      Facial Hair optional
                      Sumov8
                      damouk
                      Sanzomat

So what do you think? change date or leave it?
Any more interested as well? This will be a weather dependant event that may change if weather is crap.

fletch_306

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to do much in August due to just getting back from being in Bahrain. That weekend and my family wanting to recover some time with me.

Moleman

No worries Peter. Thanks for letting me know mate.  :)

Bulldog Bri

Not sure yet what we're doing those dates, but will let you know closer to the time ::)

8)

Iancider

QuoteThis is only 6 days after the Combe track day outing Colin, are you sure you have allowed enough 'cone extraction' time??

Careful Facial Hair Optional - I think I know here that cone is going..... :o :o :o

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 18, July, 2015, 10:19:25 PM
QuoteThis is only 6 days after the Combe track day outing Colin, are you sure you have allowed enough 'cone extraction' time??

Careful Facial Hair Optional - I think I know here that cone is going..... :o :o :o

Ian
;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o

Moleman

Would the following weekend be better for people? it is a bank holiday so may be too busy?

So Sunday 23rd or Sunday 30th?

So far we have moleman
                      Iancider
                      Facial Hair optional
                      Sumov8
                      damouk
                      Sanzomat

So what do you think? change date or leave it?
Any more interested as well? This will be a weather dependant event that may change if weather is crap.

Looks like we might stick to the 23rd as I haven't had any more response.  :)

So any more for this? 8)

sanzomat

If its 30th I can't come as I'll be in France. Should be okay for 23rd.

Sumov8

Colin  I wont be available for the Bank holiday weekend (30/08/15) as we are already booked into Upton on  Severn  :(

Moleman

Moleman

This will be for the 23rd August & the landlord of the Anchor pub has said he will reserve us parking on his grounds. So who else is up for it? 8)

Almondsburyhills

Colin,  yes put me down for this trip too

Moleman

That's good to hear mate.

We now have reserve parking for the day so please let me know so I can count you in.

So far we have moleman
                      Iancider
                      Facial Hair optional
                      Sumov8
                      damouk
                      Sanzomat
                      Almondsburyhills

So any more for this? 8)

Moleman

We will be meeting up somewhere in North Bristol I'm thinking around 11ish to do a lovely drive to Tintern abbey where the landlord will reserve us parking spaces for us to park & to have a meal there. The route has already been arranged by Ian which means you can guarantee it will be worth doing.  8)

This will be a weather dependant event which could get cancelled a day before but we will deal with that closer to the time.

So far on route we have =    Moleman
                                          Iancider +1
                                          Facial Hair optional
                                          Sumov8
                                          Sanzomat
                                          Almondsburyhills
Meeting us there we have =  Damouk
                                          Mr Tone

Any more for this?
Please can you also let me know if you are bringing a +1 so I can book enough seats for food.

Sprint 7

Sorry buds ,not around for a few weeks now. ::)

Pilgrim Anna

Sounds lovely! About time we had another  get together meal. I am working late afternoon till 10pm. So could only make it for the early lunch.  ::)

Moleman

Should have full details tomorrow. Ian is finalising the route details tonight & we will put them up tomorrow.
You will get a few options  = 1 , Slightly earlier start for a little run along some nice roads.
                                       = 2, Anyone who is on the route can join it where they please.
                                       = 3, You can make your own way there as long as you get there by 12.30pm for a meal.

Choice is yours people  8)

Any more for this? ;D

This will be a weather dependant trip which may get changed to a different date if it is a crap day  ::) ;)

Moleman

OK option 1 route which Ian has spent some time doing for us.

Option 1 = Route via Chepstow, Devauden and up to Monmouth, into the the Forest of Dean via some excellent roads and then down the Wye valley road to Tintern.  It is about a two hour tour so leaving Morrissons at the Mall at about 10:00.  Total distance from the mall to Tintern via the tour is 67 miles.  On the return leg people can make their way back via the 466 to Chepstow and over the bridge or follow me for an add-on via some very pretty roads to St Briavealls castle and then to the Old Ferry Inn under the old Severn bridge this add about 12 miles to the return journey.  Morrisons post code is BS10 7UD and it sells the cheapest fuel in Bristol.

Option 2 = Anyone who is on the route can join it where they please.

Option = 3, You can make your own way there as long as you get there by 12.30pm for a meal.

Choice is yours people  8)

Any more for this? I will need to know pretty soon so please let me know which option you are doing & if your bringing a +1 for the meal booking ;D

This will be a weather dependant trip which may get changed to a different date if it is a crap day  ::) ;)

Thanks Colin.

Moleman

So far we have moleman
                      Iancider +1
                      Facial Hair optional
                      Sumov8
                      damouk
                      Sanzomat
                      Almondsburyhills

Can you guys let me know which option you are doing & if your bringing a plus 1 thanks.  :)

Any more for this then?

Gary RH7

Colin, put me down as the family will still be away. Don't know if the kit will make it as it was getting to hot just returning from the Riverside the other night but taking the radiator out tomorrow and getting a new core fitted (just one more thing to try) :'(

If the kit not fixed I will I will go incognito in the tintop :o :o