Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Queen's Square Sunday morning meet 20th September

Started by Moleman, 24, August, 2015, 07:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

No I haven't got the date wrong just for this month it will be on the 3rd Sunday due to the Bristol Marathon

This is a really good chance to meet up with car enthusiasts from all over Bristol. it is held on the Sunday morning from about 9am at Queen Square, Bristol, City of Bristol BS1 4QS

We are now supporting the Avenue Driver's Club in their efforts to sustain this magnificent free public event and thanks to all who have signed up (for free)  If you haven't follow this link to do so.

http://www.avenuedriversclub.co.uk/joinus.html

I know we are always immaculately behaved but I am going to ask three things.  We wish to make a positive impact on the Square and for Bristol as a whole. 
(a) If you see some litter could you pick it up and put it in the bins (not ours but we will help)
(b) If somebody does make noise, very politely explain the situation to them so that the show is not banned as a result - that also applies to burning rubber and the like
(c) Invite as many members of the public as possible to enjoy this benefit for Bristol

So this is a great venue with a good atmosphere so who is up for it?

This one is getting really popular now so it is best to get there early if you can. Though we will be giving this one a little review soon so come along & see what you think?  :)

So who else is up for this?  :)

Facial Hair Optional

Yep mate, I'll be there. Fingers crossed for the weather as usual!

Facial Hair Optional

I hope the weather turns out to be good for this one as the next one after it we will be well into October and god knows what that will be like.

Winter is getting closer and nice dry driving conditions thinner on the ground.

If this Sept 20th one turns out to be dry I really think we should all make a major effort to get a big turn out and show the rest of the attendees just how good our club is don't you guys and gals???  :) :) 8) 8)

Let's get there early and take up major space!!!

Brandy Barrel

Yep I agree, that would be great.
Early...... What time do you recon?

Facial Hair Optional

Well if it's dry and sunny it seems to get full by about 8am and as the Autumn is closing in and the weather may worsen, I think that makes it even more likely to be packed out.

I would say be there parked up by 7.30 am AT THE LATEST, but that was we can get ourselves a load of prime spaces all in a row! It would make a great photo opportunity (maybe even for the 2016 calendar cover if not too late Bri?).

Maybe get Colin's input, he's Wing Commander and knows better than me what would be the best time.  ;)

If you're gonna do it and it's dry then you may as well get out of bed early and just do it (to steal Nike's motto). I think I may even aim for 7am as I'm sure there are people there even before that? Just pray between now and then that we have a dry, sunny late-Summers day!!  8) 8)

To steal Colin's saying...

"So who else is up for this then?"

(sorry Col!)  :D

Moleman

No worries mate. I think getting there for 8 should be ok though.

So that makes 3 of us?

Any one else up for this? 8)

Bulldog Bri

This was 7:45am in April but it did fill up very! quickly soon after >:(

8)

sanzomat

I'm planning on being there. I definitely won't get there any earlier than 8 ;)

Facial Hair Optional

Every time I have arrived at 8 it has been full! All depends on weather though I realise that.

Brandy Barrel

FHO dont worry cam n i will make up for being late last time, we'll be there at 7 am so thats a 5am start, so I'll get up early and drive 40 min to be with you. :o :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Brandy Barrel on 12, September, 2015, 08:52:40 PM
FHO dont worry cam n i will make up for being late last time, we'll be there at 7 am so thats a 5am start, so I'll get up early and drive 40 min to be with you. :o :)
;D ;D ;D :o :o :o  I'd rather it started later myself and have another hour in bed but the ADC do seem to be early birds (well, compared to me anyway!!)

Most importantly, let's hope it's flippin dry or we won't be there at all!!!!!!!!!  :( :(

Sprint 7

If it gets any earlier I think it may be prudent to camp out overnight for a prime spot. If you ask me (and don't say we aren't) but I think the whole shebang is getting a little out of hand and a tad too serious. After all it is only supposed to be an impromptu car enthusiast get together and not  the Auto Oscars.  Lighten up men ,don't be so serious .Have FUN!!!!! :P  :P  :P  :P

Facial Hair Optional

Yeah I dont quite get the early thing. Why so early? Surely a little later, say 10am would allow more to attend as they would come from further afield?

Not that we need more! Packed enough as it is.

Iancider

Okay,

Any advances on 07:00.  I'll park really badly and reserve a few!

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

I'm bringing an artic, that's take up some space! The consensus seems to be 8am! If it's wet that'll be ok but if it's sunny it'll be full by then (only my opinion.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 12, September, 2015, 11:32:48 PM
Okay,

Any advances on 07:00.  I'll park really badly and reserve a few!

Ian

Ask to borrow some cones from Colin and we can block off a section!! Or some of that Police crime scene tape, we can even put a small white tent in the middle. Never go camping in a white tent, they always have dead bodies in them!  ;D

Moleman

Brandy Barrel

Moleman

I think 8am will be fine but it's up to you guys if you would like to get there earlier.  8)

Hairy Santa

Sprint 7

Carry on chaps. I won't be there as I'm knocking a wall down with my son in law on Sunday. Think we may start at 4.30 am . A little too early do you think, but then I could join you all the Sq at 6.30 am.  NOT!!!!!   :P :P :P :P :P

Facial Hair Optional

Looks like we are actually gonna have some half decent weather for this for once!!

Rainy 2moro, dry and sunny Saturday and dry but with a bit of cloud Sunday.

Rain early next week but then more high pressure and more dry weather later in the week.

Best make the most of it I think guys??

Gary RH7

Facial Hair Optional

Wasn't he the one who said there was no storm coming and then we all nearly drowned in one of the worst storms ever recorded!!??  ;D ;D ;D :P

Moleman

sanzomat

I'm coming but can't stay long - will have to leave by about 9.15. Planning to arrive at or just before 8.00 so should have time for a bacon buttie, cup of tea and walk around to see what/who else turned up. SWMBO is planning on coming too but she will possibly wuss when its cold and misty first thing like it was today!

Pilgrim Anna

If the weather is anything like its been today we will be there!  :P

Moleman

I'm a maybe at the moment due to a bit of a hectic weekend.  :)

Facial Hair Optional

I'll be there with my mate from the Combe track day and also a few tin top petrol head mates.

See I do have some mates Colin! (ok so I had to pay them but it still counts right!!)

Ed, are you going? I was hoping for some bike engine and clutch advice if you have 5 mins?

Lucky Ed

Sorry guys, I can't make this one as I'm stuck at work tomorrow, but at least I should find time to get the car back together ready for the next trackday.

Iancider

A good turn-out today and shifting it to the 3rd Sunday didn't diminish the numbers.  I was hard-pushed to find a parking space in the usual spot by 8:00.

Just missing the vintage cars - they show less and less now.  But one 1930 Ford Model A in original condition made it worthwhile.  Sorry no piccy - you needed to be there folks.

Good to see FHO there in a fully functioning ASBO!

Regards
Ian

Bulldog Bri

We made it down to the Square this morning and spaces were even then becoming sparse :(
Got a space next to FHO

Lovely paint job on this pick-up

Not sure what this was but it said 1912 on a sign on the front :o

Always love a Dino

Just after this pic was taken, (waiting at some lights ::)) I hit a nasty pothole in the road :( then Anna hit the same one, which broke one of the wing stays >:( managed to bend it back into place with the one bar left but I think I need a set of the brackets you have on the ASBO Steve ;)

8)

Moleman

Nice to see the ASBO finally make it's first appearance.  :)

Facial Hair Optional

Thank you lads. Nice pic Bri!

It was a good turn out and I don't want to be a party pooper but I am not sure I will go again. This is the second car I have taken and has come back badly scratched. There are at LEAST 8 scratches on the ASBO tubing, some are through to the metal they are that deep!

What sort of moron does that or lets their kids do that? It's either a belt buckle at kiddy height or a handbag on the tubes as you enter the cockpit, two on each side and several more made by finger rings on the tubes where people have held onto them to look into the engine bay I would guess. I am of a mind that it may have even been done deliberately, the marks are just to consistent and look as though they are not the result of someone just being 'careless'. Too many of them and too deep in my view.

Would they rub their finger rings all over the panels of any tin top or exotic there? Or let their kids climb over or sit on the bonnet or boot of another type of car? Tbh I am f'in livid. I am not sure I will attend again if I have to go to the lengths of putting notices on the car telling morons not to touch it and that it is not a toy!

Today was the 1st proper drive I've had in the car and it is totally fabulous but the day has been marred by a few careless inconsiderate tossers.

Next issue is how do I repair the damage and have it not show it's been done? The car is powder coated not painted, any ideas anyone please? I know where the chassis was done and it was in Bristol so I will ask them of course but all input is welcome please.

Can I take the opportunity to just ask all of our members when attending events to keep an eye on everyone's cars and when needed not be shy about telling people to keep their bloody hands off? I will most definitely do the same for any other members and their vehicles I can assure you of that! I know we all do this anyway, I'm just suggesting that we all be extra vigilant at the ADC now as it seems there are a bad bunch there at times.

I will be emailing Tony Taylor and letting him know about this kind of thing and asking him to issue an ADC email to everyone on his list warning about this kind of problem. It is in fact criminal damage and that is how I will treat it if I see or catch anyone damaging ANY cars at the ADC meetings.

I won't say what I think of these idiots or what I'd do to them if I catch them, I'm sure you'd all feel the same and can use your imaginations.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

PS On a brighter note - Look what the ASBO had for breakfast! They both tried to race off the lights at the end of Bond Street by the Showcase Cinema, all I saw was them both disappear in my rear view mirrors! I shocked myself, it was the 1st time I'd really given her a bit of welly and was only at 75% I'd say. The BMW was a 135i M Sport, the Audi  R8 was the V10 Lambo engined version too!  ;D ;D

Bulldog Bri

Sorry to hear of the ASBO abuse >:( it is a real shame that some people don't realise what they are doing when they get so close to a car (or if they do, even more so). Hope you can get it sorted.

Any chance of a close up pic of your wheel arch brackets. In the hope I can get something similar made up for mine.

Is this a common place for these to break at?

8)

Brandy Barrel

Bulldog Bri

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 20, September, 2015, 05:18:28 PM
Sorry to hear of the ASBO abuse >:( it is a real shame that some people don't realise what they are doing when they get so close to a car (or if they do, even more so). Hope you can get it sorted.

Any chance of a close up pic of your wheel arch brackets. In the hope I can get something similar made up for mine.

Is this a common place for these to break at?

8)

I've never seen one broken before Brian so I am not sure but I will take some pics of mine for you mate of course. I'll get them to you as soon as I can.

I'd say that for it to break on a pothole like that, the metal was most likely fatigued anyway. How long have they been on the car?

Iancider

FHO sorry to hear about the damage - I was there much of the time and saw nothing I am afraid. 

On repair - my guess is that this would be do-able.  If any ragged edge is rubbed off it would be possible to re-fill the powder coat scratch and then melt-in the repair.  There aren't many powder coat colours so it should be easy to match. 

We have a powder coater in the club in Full Pint - Steve at http://tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk/

After one of our events I discovered deep scratches on the top of one of my wings and realised some lovely parents had been posing their kids standing on my wing.  If I had known at the time they would have found me posing in my hobnails on the bonnet of their car!

Good luck
Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Thanks for the advice Ian - sound as always. Cheers  :)