+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Warning of damage to cars at the ADC Sunday meetings

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 20, September, 2015, 04:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

I am just re-posting this as a separate topic thread so everyone can read it. Please be warned about this happening at the ADC meeting today and at previous meetings also................

It was a good turn out and I don't want to be a party pooper but I am not sure I will go again. This is the second car I have taken and has come back badly scratched. There are at LEAST 8 scratches on the ASBO tubing, some are through to the metal they are that deep!

What sort of moron does that or lets their kids do that? It's either a belt buckle at kiddy height or a handbag on the tubes as you enter the cockpit, two on each side and several more made by finger rings on the tubes where people have held onto them to look into the engine bay I would guess. I am of a mind that it may have even been done deliberately, the marks are just too consistent and look as though they are not the result of someone just being 'careless'. Too many of them and too deep in my view.

Would they rub their finger rings all over the panels of any tin top or exotic there? Or let their kids climb over or sit on the bonnet or boot of another type of car? Tbh I am f'in livid. I am not sure I will attend again if I have to go to the lengths of putting notices on the car telling morons not to touch it and that it is not a toy!

Today was the 1st proper drive I've had in the car and it is totally fabulous but the day has been marred by a few careless inconsiderate tossers.

Next issue is how do I repair the damage and have it not show it's been done? The car is powder coated not painted, any ideas anyone please? I know where the chassis was done and it was in Bristol so I will ask them of course but all input is welcome please.

Can I take the opportunity to just ask all of our members when attending events to keep an eye on everyone's cars and when needed not be shy about telling people to keep their bloody hands off? I will most definitely do the same for any other members and their vehicles I can assure you of that! I know we all do this anyway, I'm just suggesting that we all be extra vigilant at the ADC now as it seems there are a bad bunch there at times.

I will be emailing Tony Taylor and letting him know about this kind of thing and asking him to issue an ADC email to everyone on his list warning about this kind of problem. It is in fact criminal damage and that is how I will treat it if I see or catch anyone damaging ANY cars at the ADC meetings.

I won't say what I think of these idiots or what I'd do to them if I catch them, I'm sure you'd all feel the same and can use your imaginations.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Moleman

Sorry to hear this mate, I must admit most people do keep there distance & respect the cars on this advent. I think you was just really unlucky.  :(

Facial Hair Optional

Crunchie Gears

Those look very deep FHO.  Sorry for your trouble.

To scratch powder coat that deep takes some intent IMO.

Facial Hair Optional

Could be, though the weight of a small kid hanging over the tube with a belt buckle on could maybe do it? Who knows. Onwards and upwards!!

Benchmark51 Dave suggested carbon fibre wrap in red on the marked tubes maybe? It would add protection for sure and actually might look good too!  :D

The bonnet is wrapped in normal carbon fibre colour and so is the central column in the interior come to think of it and they look great, so that colour might look even better I think! Hmmm, maybe this could have a silver lining? I always like to put my own stamp on any car I have and this could be my chance?

I will investigate in time. If any knows a pie hot carbon wrapper/company please let me know!

Lucky Ed

Sorry to hear about the damage, it's a real bummer when you've only had the car for 5 mins :(

Gary RH7

FHO, have a chat to Fullpint. He is a powder coar expert. in fact it is his job. He might have some idea of what to do.

Facial Hair Optional

Moleman

As was said I think the wrap option sounds good mate.  :)

sanzomat

Hi Steve, if you want to try touching it in for now (I think the wrap idea is probably best long term) you are welcome to borrow these:

The red touch up paint is Ford Radiant Red and is the best match for my GTM's gel coat and may match yours - maybe worth trying a dab somewhere inconspicuous?

The other stick is one of those almost too good to be true products - its a clear fluid applied with a nib like a sharpie marker pen that claims to refract the colour from the adjacent paint to fill chips and scratches with a colour match. I've used it on several lease cars and have avoided reinstatement charges on chips and scratches that they would normally have charged for so might be worth a try! It actually works!

fromeflyer

I agree with the comments on kids touching cars - been to a few shows this summer & because my buggy is metalflake for some reason kids just want to touch & run their hands down the length of the car whilst parents just stand there smiling... >:(

benchmark51

I had a great big baggy bum sat on my front cycle wing at Bradley Stoke carney, posing for a photo! I was glad I made the brackets out of 1/2 inch box section, as it survived intact. These things do happen, maybe a snarling rotty and some razor wire might help? :o

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 21, September, 2015, 10:01:23 PM
As was said I think the wrap option sounds good mate.  :)
Red to match the tubes mate (and the colour of my eyes from all the crying!), or grey/carbon to match the other carbon wrapped bits of the car do you reckon?

I'm not that great at envisaging how these things finally look in my minds eye!!

I'm not sure how they would wrap a tube either, surely there has to be a join somewhere?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 22, September, 2015, 07:37:01 AM
Hi Steve, if you want to try touching it in for now (I think the wrap idea is probably best long term) you are welcome to borrow these:

The red touch up paint is Ford Radiant Red and is the best match for my GTM's gel coat and may match yours - maybe worth trying a dab somewhere inconspicuous?

The other stick is one of those almost too good to be true products - its a clear fluid applied with a nib like a sharpie marker pen that claims to refract the colour from the adjacent paint to fill chips and scratches with a colour match. I've used it on several lease cars and have avoided reinstatement charges on chips and scratches that they would normally have charged for so might be worth a try! It actually works!

Thanks Dave, I will bear your kind offer in mind once I have spoken to the powder coat and paint guys etc. I plan to get the car out in the sunshine (yes it is coming this weekend!) and have a good close up look all over the car before I decide what to do for the best. Cheers mate.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: fromeflyer on 22, September, 2015, 12:20:30 PM
I agree with the comments on kids touching cars - been to a few shows this summer & because my buggy is metalflake for some reason kids just want to touch & run their hands down the length of the car whilst parents just stand there smiling... >:(
Yes FF (soz don't know your real name) I saw your car at the Allington Farm event, it is pretty as a picture! It just seems to make people want to touch it all the more though doesn't it?

I wonder if Angelina Jolie has that problem?  ;D

Iancider

I looked at the marks again.

All but one of them look like impact marks - typical of a kid with something metal in their hand enjoying the tubes ring like bells as they hit them.  Sorry if that is too graphic!

But I really feel a powder-coater can heal these.  It is a thermal powder coating and it can be softened and re-flowed.  Where it is penetrated powder could be re-applied and the surface built-up again.   The jagged scratch might largely polish out with a power mop and swirl remover paste. 

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Yep, graphic Ian! You are right though, the two or three (at least) deep ones took some doing and look more like they took an impact rather than scratching motion.

Didn't think of it like that until you just said, cheers for that. Still wont help me catch the little ba,ba,ba,ba,blighter though! He/she will be getting an ASBO all of their own when I get hold of them!!

I'm baffled as to how no-one noticed, there were people near the car most of the time. Just not my lucky day I guess