+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Winter jobs.

Started by Moleman, 10, February, 2015, 11:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

I started my winter to do list last weekend by changing the oil & fixing the slight leak & then topping up the diff & gearbox oil.

The next job on the list is replace the seat nuts & bolts due to grinding them down at Castle combe over the summer. Apparently they may not be up to scratch.

I kept bottoming out at Castle combe due to some different slicks which I won't be using again.

The others only got half of the nuts ground down.

It turns out the washer was thicker than the nut in the end.

My seat runners are also a bit worn & don't move very well so I might replace them for some new one's if anyone knows of a good place to get some good quality ones please let me know.
Thanks Colin.

longtimecoming

Hi Colin, you should be able to get some at Shepton Mallet this weekend, if not Car Builder Solution, on line web site, do them approx. £30 depending on size.   :o

Lucky Ed

After getting the car back together after the suspension mods, I decided the clutch probably wasn't going to last the season, as it became very juddery when hot at the tail end of last season. The gearbox wont come out of the bottom of the car, so it was engine out - again. Once apart I thought sod it, I'll upgrade the gearbox while I'm at it, so I've treated myself to a new one from BGH, which I should get by the end of the month.

The clutch upgrade was to use a HD Pinto clutch with an organic friction plate (good for 250bhp Retro Ford tell me). The existing lighter 1.8 Zetec flwheel had to be re-drilled and doweled, and re-fitted with ARP bolts. I've trial fitted the old gearbox to check it all fits, as there is a huge variation in clutch arms and release bearings, but it's all good now I've found a slimmer bearing to accommodate the deeper pressure plate.

Just waiting for the new 'box now - hopefully I wont have to pull this lot out of the car in the near future ;D

Moleman

Might as well get it done now mate.  :)

I now have my new replacement seat runner so I should have the old bolts ground off the one that is ok then this week I'm going to fit rivet nuts instead so I can fit countersink stainless steal bolts up through the floor instead so no more protruding nuts underneath.  :)

Iancider

Moleman,

Suggestion:  Have you thought about making a sacrificial collar to fit around the nut head - like a big penny washer but thicker so it is a tad higher than the nut.  It it hits the ground then it is the washer that grinds and not the nut.  It could be Ali or something like Nylon 6. 

P.S. if it works and you make some could you make some spares please  ;D

'The Gaffer'

Moleman

Been busy this week with the seat runner mod's.

Drilled out the old welded coach bolts.

then ground down what was left

Then after a few test pieces to get the right setting insuring a good fixing so the bolts can be used without fear of spinning I fitted the runners with Rivet nuts.

Then I made some washers for the new countersink stainless steel bolts, then put some clear lacquered on them for now. I may get some titanium ones made if this works ok.  8)

While the seats are out my Dad came round & gave my carpets a good deep clean.  8) It can come in handy when your Dad has his own carpet cleaning company especially for you do on occasions plough through the fields on track days.  :P
Then I fitted then all in place which worked really well. I only have 5mm under the seat straps now instead of about 15mm. It's alot of work for 10mm but I would have had to grind off the old bolts on one set of the runners anyway.
An added bonus when I did refit them I got the seat runners working for the first time since I have had the car.  8) 

Iancider

Good idea to invert the bolt but I guess you will need a dab of Loctite to make sure the bolt doesn't vibrate loose/out as you don't have a lock-nut now.

Good thinking
Ian

peterw

Yes I'm still here beavering away with Valerie, After a complete engine rebuild after the Stoneleigh affair last year, it's back in and running with all the new bits, just got to tax it next month then should be out and about again ;D ;D ;D ;D

Moleman

That's good to hear Peter.  8)

Ian I have thought of loctite but I'm thinking of using aircraft sealant under the countersinks which will guarantee not spinning the rivet nuts if I need to undo them.  :)

Iancider

QuoteYes I'm still here beavering away with Valerie, After a complete engine rebuild after the Stoneleigh affair last year, it's back in and running with all the new bits, just got to tax it next month then should be out and about again ;D ;D ;D ;D

Excellent news Peter!

I was beginning to worry because you had gone so quiet.  It is now coming up to a year since your car coughed and spluttered to a halt on the way to Weston and not so long after when we did an unintentional Top-Gear abandonment of you just outside Stoneleigh.  Still..... if as they say "If it don't kill you it will make you stronger!". 

Looking forward to its roar again  8)

Ian