News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

2014 suggestions wanted

Started by Moleman, 19, November, 2013, 09:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

while this year is slowly coming to an end I'm already thinking about next year.  :o
I would like suggestions for some dayout/weekend trips you would like to do?

It can be anything from a trip around Belguim, france, europe etc?
Our neighbouring Islands like Ireland, Isle of man & Isle of white. (Which I have to say was really good last year).
A trip along the south coast stopping off at various landmarks?
or even day trips through the welsh valleys?
Day trips to other national parks?

Please feel free to suggest anything that takes your fancy ;D
Colin.

Sumov8

How about a run out to either Gurston or Prescott for a day watching Hill Climbing, only about 90 minutes to both events and a good run with great  entertainment when we get there ;D

WALNUT

How about everyone who has a kit car turning up to a club meet, one Thur. night.......LOL

YellaBelly

Quote from: WALNUT on 19, November, 2013, 10:01:29 PM
How about everyone who has a kit car turning up to a club meet, one Thur. night.......LOL

Blimey! now that would be radical  :P :D

Grin-a-lot

Someone mentioned a run to the Black Mountains/Brecon Beacons - I reckon we can do there and back in a day and with the sun shining it'd be great fun.

Moleman

This is true guys.  ;D

I will look into these steve. Yours also darren.  Thanks.  ;)

come on people get your thinking caps on. 8)

fullpint

Trip down the New Forest. May be bring along some food and a few of those BBQ's you get from B&Q..

Moleman

I will look into this one mate. There is a car museum near there aswell. So we could do afew trips down that way?  :)

Sumov8

What about some Treasure hunts in the cars?  myself and Alan would be more than willing to put some routes together if we thought people would turn up and have a go.

fletch_306

Yeovilton air day or the Bristol balloon fiesta maybe.

Bulldog Bri

If anyone would be interested in a run to Belgium then I can have a word with a friend that bought our spare Bulldog for us, (another story) as he lives there. He's planning on coming over for Stoneleigh next year, so would be a good opportunity to get acquainted and work out a time a route for us to do. I did Belgium in '89 (Bruges & Ghent)  Maybe go as far as Brussels (roughly 2hours drive on the other side) Lots to see.

8)

Moleman

I'm liking all the suggestions so far.  8)
I will look into each one as from January.  :)

Please keep them coming? ;D

Iancider

Hi all,

I am aiming to produce several ideas to take the pressure off Colin - working on multiple themes:

This first idea could be a long day run-out to the Shrewsbury area - that could take in many good roads.  A few years back I went to Hawkstone Park - a really spectacular place - whole series of incredible follies and in a huge park with incredible views.  It is located near Shrewsbury Post Code SY4 5JY.  Some very very nice countryside and good roads in the area.  This could be a long day with some motorway driving or a weekender doing other things and taking in the Wye valley and Malvern hills on the way and back.  It is currently £7 per adult and there is a picnic spot with a great view.

See the pictures:

http://www.hawkstoneparkfollies.co.uk/gallery/

Ian

Moleman

Looks good Ian.  :D
Anything anyone who wants to organise is fine by me. I can help as much or as little as they like.  ;D

Sumov8

Ian

I would be up for that and I may even be able to convince the wife to join me if the weather is dry / warm!!

Iancider

Good to hear - it is a magic place and it is a great drive there.  I will be very willing to arrange that.  Currently generating many more ideas and will post soon.

Regards
Ian

Iancider

Here' another one.

Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear bunker near Epping
- about 140 miles by the pretty route.  It is the real thing and I can promise a quite eerie experience.  All of the charts and posters on the wall are genuine and all of the emergency measures that were planned are real.  The Prime Minister's bed and the room reserved for the Judge who would have become the Law of the land is absolutely as it would have happeened.  Above ground it just looks like a bungalow.  £7 each, open from 1st March.

The route there could also be a very good run-out.  Early start, late finish and travel on some of the best roads in Southern England with very little Motorway contact.  The best pubs in the UK are in Essex.  Nearby, there is some excellent scenery and  exceptional villages, Thaxted, Finchingfield and others and a good cluster of Windmills.  This one would suit mid-summer and could be one long day or could be extended to include an overnight for a more liesurely tour of East Anglia.  I suggest we would assemble North of Bristol.  Does that appeal?  More to follow.
Ian

Iancider

Bri,

I liked the idea of Belgium.  Bruges and Ghent are two of the World's most beautiful cities.  The Belgians are often very welcoming to visitors and often make a bit civic fuss for expected visitors.  There are some worderful festivities there are well if we got the dates right.  A local contact would be very useful and there are a lot of kit car enthusiasts in Holland and Belgium who have to import from the UK.  Ferries from Ramsgate and Dover to Ostend - sounds like a three of four day trip with overnights on the Ferry.  Also a very high appeal to our other halves as well.

Regards
Ian

Iancider

Here's another: Wales Eire, Northern Ireland, Wales ircular tour

Like Belgium, what I what I would call a long-jaunt.  This one as a real Driver experience to take in some of the best roads in the UK, in fact, in the World!  Probably 5-7 days and 1,200 miles of fantastic scenery 8).  It would run like this:

Bristol, Severn-crossing, Chepstow, Brecons, Mid-Wales' best roads to Western Snowdonia (beautiful), Menai Bridge, Menai, Holyhead (perhaps taking in Beaumaris and Castle) Holyhead to Dublin on the Ferry.  Dublin to Belfast via the pretty route (must get in a pub or two with traditional music!) Belfast to Larne via the huge and utterly impressive Lough Neagh and then probably the incredible coast road from Larne to Ballycastle (sea on the right, mountains on the left).  Continue to the the Giants Causeway - a World leading spectacle. 

Cross the border into Eire - Donegal, beautiful Sligo, Ballycroy and Conemara National parks, Galway, Slieve Augthy Heritage area (natural peat bog heath) Lough Derg - another beautiful lake, , spectacular scenery, cross country via Tipperary to Waterford (of Crystal glass fame) to Rosslare.  Ferry To Fishguard in West Wales Explore the beauty of Pembrokeshire (National Park) , the beautiful Mumbles, the brilliant roads North of Swansea, back across the Brecons then the other Severn crossing and back to Bristol.

This route ensures something spectacular in every hour.  Suits petrolheads and sigthseers.  Does that sound like a lifetime adventure?
Ian

Dixie

I like this idea.

M

Quote from: Iancider on 14, December, 2013, 01:07:26 PM
Here' another one.

Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear bunker near Epping
- about 140 miles by the pretty route.  It is the real thing and I can promise a quite eerie experience.  All of the charts and posters on the wall are genuine and all of the emergency measures that were planned are real.  The Prime Minister's bed and the room reserved for the Judge who would have become the Law of the land is absolutely as it would have happeened.  Above ground it just looks like a bungalow.  £7 each, open from 1st March.

The route there could also be a very good run-out.  Early start, late finish and travel on some of the best roads in Southern England with very little Motorway contact.  The best pubs in the UK are in Essex.  Nearby, there is some excellent scenery and  exceptional villages, Thaxted, Finchingfield and others and a good cluster of Windmills.  This one would suit mid-summer and could be one long day or could be extended to include an overnight for a more liesurely tour of East Anglia.  I suggest we would assemble North of Bristol.  Does that appeal?  More to follow.
Ian

Moleman

They all sound good. What do everyone else think of these?  :)

WALNUT

They all sound very good,but I cant see them ever happening.

Grin-a-lot

Keep coming with the great ideas!

A little more unusual but how about a trip up the river on the Matthew?  I'm not sure of the cost but its a 4 hour round trip and could be a bit of nautical themed fun!

Their website doesn't have the 2014 dates on it yet but it could be a good evening event in summer?

Iancider

Walnut,

Be assured they can happen.

Next idea:  Canal day-boat outing - we have two choices locally.  Nr Worcester to Birmingham and back in a day - boats for up to 12 people or more than one boat.  Or from Trowbridge on the Great Western canal.  Needs a sunny day but it is great to cruise in style and moor-up somewhere really nice for lunch.  Another good one for couples.  This could be about £20 per head so not too expensive.

River Severn cruise - several choices from Worcester.  Summer only.

Ian

Iancider

Club-share days

How about meeting other enthusiasts to share their passion and for them to share ours.  How about:

Meet an Archery Club, a Flying club, Model aircraft builders, Rowing clubs, Dragon boat teams, Kit cars meet Trad Jazz, meet the rock climbers, meet the balloonists, traction engine owners, boat builders, meet the train buffs, meet some falconers, battle re-enactment clubs, shooting clubs, kite fliers, share an archeological dig, skydiving, abseiling, sailing or canoeing in Bristol docks, meet other car clubs, meet home brewers, dance clubs, canal restorers, jet-skiers and water-skiers, pot-holers and cavers, Bristol City FC (cunning they have nice cars too), Shark fishing off Cornwall, WW1 and 2 aircraft restorers, military vehicle enthusiasts, tractor restorers, visit a military base, go naturist, meet the miners, play skittles, meet the cyclists, go power-boating, train with a tug of war team, meet the Morris/Zumba/Pole dancers, go Karaoke, meet slot car racers, meet the horse riders, meet the farmers club......

Iancider

Moleman

I'm up for the Williams day-out so put me down for two visitors.  I think that gives you your minimum number now.  Can we get together with Phil to Fill-up the calendar?

Sumo

I'm up for Gurston or Prescott.  So that would be a definite too and we could see how many others come along.

Lets add a good route to each and make a really good drive of it as well.
Ian

bluehornetrider

I'd be up for a trip to Williams and my lad would want to go as well, just post the date and I'll book it in my diary, can you try and get it in the holidays or at the weekend please. 8)

fullpint

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 15, December, 2013, 04:34:02 PM
I'd be up for a trip to Williams and my lad would want to go as well, just post the date and I'll book it in my diary, can you try and get it in the holidays or at the weekend please. 8)
Colin has already started a thread, heres the link mate;
http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=2987.msg29852;topicseen#new

Moleman

Ian they are all good suggestions. But I can't blame Walnut for being skeptical as we haven't much feedback from many people yet.  ::)
Once we get some more details then there may be more interest.  ;D

Bluehornetrider please put your name down on the other tread about the williams visit.

Come on guys this is a forum! your supposed to tell us what you think!

'The Gaffer'

I like the club share days ideas, cant see me doing pole dancing though :o

garry h

Hi  guys thought I would add my two penneth worth.I think they are all good ideas but feel maybe too many and not enough time for a good turn out.Also some would be more expensive than others which might mean it would be less supported.
How about maybe four or five main events where we can all try to get together, maybe meeting up somewhere quite central to everyone even if its for a few hours or so having a convoy around some good roads,pub lunches etc.
Then maybe organising a fund raising event for a local childrens hospital,disability centre etc.(good cause and a bit of publicity for the club).
As someone suggested a picnic in some nice area ie new forest would be a good social event.
The Isle Of Wight is a lovely place but the ferry costs are quite high which again might put some people off coming over but if there is enough interest we might get a good discount booking price.
Obviously any event is only as good as its supported so maybe its a case of less is more with some good turn outs for a few main events and gatherings rather than trying to organise too many.
I personally would like to get to an evening meeting or two next year and maybe a track day.  :) :) :)

Moleman

Hi gary,. These are all just Idea being put out there to the club at the moment. You are right about we probably wont fit them all in & we will see which ones are more popular in the new year as work,family & budget will all have to be taken into consideration for most people.

We may have to take Ianciders laptop away from him soon.  ;D  I'm injoying his ideas but he may need to slow down abit because there is only so many trips out us regular 6-10 cars can do in a month.  :P

bluehornetrider

I wouldn't mind meeting up at a dyno or a wheel balancing place.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 17, December, 2013, 05:21:58 PM
I wouldn't mind meeting up at a dyno or a wheel balancing place.

I wouldn't mind a dyno day too.

robp

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 17, December, 2013, 05:21:58 PM
I wouldn't mind meeting up at a dyno.

Great idea.  Something similar to our club visit to Track Developments?

Grin-a-lot

Does anyone fancy the F1 at Silverstone this year?

I've never seen a race live and decided this is the year so I'm going to go anyway but if anyone wanted to go as a group that'd be great fun.

When I looked for this year there were buses from Bristol to go on the Sunday or camping for the weekend is the alternative.

It's not exactly cheap but there might be a handful of us that we're thinking of going!

Grin-a-lot

How about a trip to Castle Combe to watch a raceday? There's loads going in through the year, we can pay on the day or abort at the last minute if the weather's rubbish.

Grin-a-lot

Ten pin bowling?

Pub-quiz nights (multiple small teams incognito)?

Moleman

we could add something on the evening Club meet on the thursday night Grin but we will need more than the normal 5 that turn up. but this may bring more people to the meet. What do other people think about doing something when we are at the pub? winter or summer?  :)

I would like to do F1 at silverstone but for some reason it does seem to be one of the expensive to go too.  :( but the bus there & back may be a good option?  :D

'The Gaffer'

To be honest, I'm not really into kicking tyres in a pub car park, especially during the winter. Would much prefer a bowling, skittles, or even a monthly meal - curry or carvery or whatever.