News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

4 wheel drive from mid engine setup

Started by mittaw, 31, August, 2014, 10:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittaw

Hi folks.  Got a quick taxing question on gearboxes if anyone has any advice.

We're buildinga replica of a 4 wheel drive mid engine car and have picked up an audi RS4 V8 engine and box which is from a 4 wheel drive car.  We're positioning this into the mid engine position but want to look at using the 4 wheel drive capability.  On the RS4 the dif comes straight out the back of the geabox which is no good for us as this points backwards on this position in the car. . 

So question is.  Does anyone know of a way or a grear box from a mid engine 4 wheel drive car that would work to drive the front wheels? The Audi  R8 springs to mind with an offset prop but that's quite costly. 

Any ideas on how we can replicate the R8 set up our other arrangement??

Cheers.

Iancider

Mittaw

I am only remembering something I read and parked at the back of my mind but it might work.  Engines have been turned 180 degrees and then the Diff is reversed by swapping sides of the crown and pinion.  This counters the one forward gear and six reverse problem!  No idea where I read that but somebody made it work and I think it was on a Focus engine/diff.

Good luck
Ian

benchmark51

Yes Ian, I think that happens with the renault transmission on the Lotus europa

Camber Dave

The power drive to the front looks very complicated to me.

So how about Mid-engine, Trans axle and 'conventional' RWD

Then Electric FWD, possibly driven from a generator off your 'spare' drive.

I think Toyota use this format for their Le Mans Car, or it may have been the still born Peugeot LM project. If I recall correctly they only send 30% of the torque to the front to balance the 'excess' at the rear and gain balance.

Easy to come up with the idea - the control system is beyond me though....

mittaw

Cheers guys that's all really helpful and food for thought.  We'll let you know how we get on but this might be a refinement that a core aspect of the buiild by the looks.  Cheers

Tim