News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Got my MK at last

Started by Paul.latham, 12, June, 2016, 02:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.latham

Hi All
After much time looking and many many miles traveled. Cornwall, Coventry Taunton, Worcester and the list goes on. I finally have my new toy!
2008 MK Indy with a Kawasaki ZZR 1100 bored out to 1200+
Car set up and corner weighted by caterham race team.
Gaz shocks
Wilwood 4 pot front and cosworth rear
Now all I need to do is learn to drive? Lol.

Vindicator

Very nice, Paul.......Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Congrats Paul. I am really looking forward to seeing this one. Are you coming to Combe on the 25th?

I know you jest about learning to drive and I don't know how much driving you have done in a BEC but if it's anything like the ASBO it will be somewhat like learning again as they are driven a bit differently than a traditional car engined kit.

There is a knack to it that has to be learned if mine is anything to go by.

Paul.latham

Yep hoping to be there!
Meeting everyone at the pub sounds like a good plan!
Got to get the break lights working???
Hope it's just a loose wire on the switch if I can get to it?
Fingers crossed

Facial Hair Optional

fullpint

Nice one Paul.. Drive it like riding a bike.. Have you riden bikes?
As for that brake light!! Does it work if you use a lot of force?

Facial Hair Optional

Also check what sort of switch it has, electrical or hydraulic pressure switch. The pressure switch went on the ASBO out of the blue but isn't that hard to fix. If you are really lucky it'll be the bulbs - only we all know it won't be!!  >:(

benchmark51

Or you may be really lucky and just need to adjust the switch on the pedal. They can sometimes become loose or get kicked by big feet!

Paul.latham

I checked the bulbs and look ok
So I tried to see a limit switch on the break peddle but couldn't see anything
If it's hydrolic I presume it's not at the peddle but in the engine compartment
Didn't look there as don't want here indoors to know there is a problem.

Going to fit the aero screen at the weekend so will have time to look then.
Will look much nicer with the aero screen.
But will need a helmet.
Also need one for track days.
Where is the best place to look or what do I need to look for on a helmet?

Lastly is it possible to pop into castle Combe and get them to measure the noise level?
Or do you have to turn up on a track day to be told your too loud?

Thanks

benchmark51

Mine has the hydraulic type, quite close to the master cylinder. They don't play up often, but could be a wire off.

Vindicator

Quote from: Paul.latham on 15, June, 2016, 08:26:34 PM
I checked the bulbs and look ok
So I tried to see a limit switch on the break peddle but couldn't see anything

Going to fit the aero screen at the weekend so will have time to look then.
Will look much nicer with the aero screen.
But will need a helmet.
Also need one for track days.
Where is the best place to look or what do I need to look for on a helmet?

Lastly is it possible to pop into castle Combe and get them to measure the noise level?

Thanks

May be worth checking the fuses before delving too deep......Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Paul.latham on 15, June, 2016, 08:26:34 PM

Thanks

If it's a hydraulic pressure switch it may well be on a banjo bolt coming off from the master cylinder Paul

If you go to Combe pretty much any day they have a track day on you can get your car sound checked, they won't even know you are not going round the track that day mate. Last time I was there my car was in for a service so for a laugh we took my loan car though, a Hyundai sumfinorothergutlesssaloon - it passed  ;D

Also there are a few lads in the club with dB meters who would most likely help you out.

Re helmet - you will need a full face one for track use, any good brand will do, buy one you like the look of but try it on for comfort as you will be wearing it often! Also make sure you get the right size, if you are not sure go to a bike shop and get sized up and try a few on. Fowlers in Bristol have thousands on display to try on.

You can buy used helmets on ebay dirt cheap if you are on a budget, I currently have 5! (reminds me, I must get rid of two as I don't use them now)

Paul.latham

Thanks
So as to the helmet. Does it need to be BS approved?
Do they check for a sticker?
Or can you use any full face helmet?
I have one from mini motoing
But don't think it has a BS sticker

Facial Hair Optional

I have never seen anyone get their helmet checked though if you are in an open top car and it's not a full face helmet they will stop you at Combe I believe. Any decent full face helmet will do Paul. If you can't get one in time I'm sure one of us will lend you one.

Brandy Barrel

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 16, June, 2016, 11:59:32 PM
I have never seen anyone get their helmet checked though if you are in an open top car and it's not a full face helmet they will stop you at Combe I believe. Any decent full face helmet will do Paul. If you can't get one in time I'm sure one of us will lend you one.
First I've heard of this and when we were watching classic cars such as MGs etc they had open face!!! Have to check....

Iancider

Hi Paul,

The question is - do you want to compromise on a helmet?  Roughly there are three major gradations of helmet - they cheapest are made of ABS and the shell is not much stronger than your skull.  Beware of the cheapies.  At the next level they are Polycarbonate and seriously strong. (Say £65-100).  Top helmets are laid-up composite materials and may include carbon fibre or more likely Kevlar.  (£200+).  There is a good reason why they cost so much and you do get what you pay for.

I went for an opening front helmet but you must choose one with a good rating.  You can get the heat out quickly with one of these without having to take it off.  Very satisfying after a hard track session.

Regards
Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Good points Ian. Which reminds me... choose one with REALLY GOOD ventilation - you will be glad you did as not only does it get hot in there but they often steam up, sometimes badly. Horrid when you are whizzing along and suddenly hit traffic only to find you steam up and cannot see a bloody thing!! Makes pulling away again a bit scary especially on the public roads!!!!

fullpint

Paul, You can pop along to Combe when they have an open track day event. They will willingly check your db level.. Had my MK checked several times in the hope of being below the 105 limit.. This Friday is an open track day if that helps..
Aero-screen. Mine was crap but I always had a lid on when driving it on the roads..

Facial Hair Optional

Not sure if it's changed Steve but the limit at Combe currently is only 100dB!  :o Unless it is different for BEC's? (bloody well should be if you ask me! hahaha!)  :P :P

fullpint

BEC limit is 105, but at 3/4 max rpm so about 7,000rpm you need to hold it at :)
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 22, June, 2016, 05:24:44 PM
Not sure if it's changed Steve but the limit at Combe currently is only 100dB!  :o Unless it is different for BEC's? (bloody well should be if you ask me! hahaha!)  :P :P

Facial Hair Optional

Well that's good news for me then cos I was expecting it to be the same as for other kits 100dB - Cheers for the info Steve!!

In fact if it's dry I might take your advice and go to Combe Friday and get it tested!!  8) 8)

fullpint

Or if your going on Saturday they will also test it for you :) Good to know if your with in the limit in case you get the urge to have a blat around Combe :) :) Its great fun..

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: fullpint on 23, June, 2016, 08:12:57 AM
Or if your going on Saturday they will also test it for you :) Good to know if your with in the limit in case you get the urge to have a blat around Combe :) :) Its great fun..
Saturday will be too late Steve, I will be going round the track Saturday and need to put the correct quieter track can on before then, ie today or tomorrow is my last chance to change it. I think I will put the track can on for Saturday (it should pass, it has every time before) and then get my road can tested another time (it is too loud for the track apparently but I have yet to noise test either of them myself)

benchmark51

Why not take a bag of spaniards,  go with the road one and get tested, if it fails swap it over. ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 23, June, 2016, 05:27:15 PM
Why not take a bag of spaniards,  go with the road one and get tested, if it fails swap it over. ;D

Mainly cos it's and hour and a half job Dave! Have to take off the rear wing assembly and the number plate and mount etc, unbolt the old can from the pipes, mounts and anti roll bar mounts, clean the joints and then put the new one on with exhaust paste etc and put the rear wing, number plate mounts etc etc back on. Can't be arsed doing that at Combe on a big meeting day! Besides I did it today already!!! Also I know the road one will fail, I'm not even sure the track one will pass even though it's been round before, they can be funny at Combe!!

I plan to get up to Combe tomorrow and get it tested before the big day

fullpint

My mate is having his first track session today.. In an MX 5, orange roll bar and chrome wheels.. Hopefully the car will back it :)

Facial Hair Optional

Bloody rained didn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club Paul :)