News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Quick quiz... whats this?

Started by 'The Gaffer', 21, December, 2009, 06:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

What do you think this is (or was)  :)

paintman

Is it the mean of getting a locking wheel nut off.... ie. a 1/2 " socket  shaft welded to the offending locking nut? ::)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: paintman on 21, December, 2009, 06:39:03 PM
Is it the mean of getting a locking wheel nut off.... ie. a 1/2 " socket  shaft welded to the offending locking nut? ::)

It is indeed a locking wheel nut with a piece of bar welded to it. Well done that man!!

It's actually off my van.

The damn key socket broke because the wheel nut was so tight, you can even see in the pic where the bar was twisting trying to loosen it :o It took heating around the hub before it even started to move.

Me thinks the last tyre fitters did them up using an air impact tool.

A big thanks to Martin for getting me out of the dung, dont know what I would have done without him. Cheers mate!!

Full story in a what cheesed you off today section here http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=522.0

Furore Phil

Same thing happend to me ! managed to loose the key and couldn't get them off

I did find a set of lock nut removers, but possibly wouldn't have worked here.

It's like a large socket that fits ove the nut. Inside there is a reverse thread, so as you tighten it up it clamps down on the nut and removes it !

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Phil on 21, December, 2009, 08:00:32 PM
Same thing happend to me ! managed to loose the key and couldn't get them off

I did find a set of lock nut removers, but possibly wouldn't have worked here.

It's like a large socket that fits ove the nut. Inside there is a reverse thread, so as you tighten it up it clamps down on the nut and removes it !

Nice thought, these nuts have a loose rotating outer section, would the removers work on these?

'Mendip Wurzel'

I have had the same whereby I have managed to snapped studs because garages have over tightening wheel nuts with impact drivers.
Because of this whenever I have a wheel changed by a garage, as soon as I get home I lossen and re-tighten so that I can get them off in the future .... because they only get tighter with age.
Kevin     

paintman

I had a Renault 19 16v years ago and discovered on the morning I was due to go on holiday that the car, which I had just bought had fitted wheel locks but no key to undo them! 

I had to get them removed by welding a rod on each one .... my Missus was not amused........ :P

Dixie

I had a similar problem.  Changed a wheel on my  X-Type Jag, but forgot to take off the locking wheel nut key!! >:(  Drove up the road, big bang and the key flew off over a hedge, so lost.  Tried to get a new one, no luck.  Spoke to Jag at Hartwells in Bristol they were not prepare to send a new key, I had to have a complete set costing £75 plus I had to visit the garage for them to fit it because they said I could be any body trying to steal the wheels.  So 2 days later and £75 lighter I had 4 new nuts with the correct key.

That was an expensive puncture.

Mark