News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Who's up for a rolling road day?

Started by 'The Gaffer', 09, August, 2010, 12:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Ever wondered exactly how much HorsePower your car is pushing out?

I would like to plan a rolling road day out for club members but need to gauge interest first.

Who's up for it?

YZFMINI

dave_bence

Psymon

Grin-a-lot

What would be the plan?  Is it a chance to measure what the car is doing or is there a chance to "tweak"?

I ask because I am not sure my carbs have ever been set for the engine they are bolted to so is this my chance to find out and do something about it?

What sort of cost do you think this will be as well?

stupott901

That sounds like a good idea phil

where you planning to do it as there is a place in westbury that CKC recommended

stu

andygtm

Count me in. Hope I am available when you set a date. Most rolling road days with clubs simply involves a couple of power runs to get  bhp/torque figures and some helpful advice on what needs to be done if there are any issues with the engine. A helpful/friendly operator may do a few adjustments there and then if you are lucky.

Old Biker

Count me in as well.  I know mine is running rich at the moment! 

Good to meet all those there on Sunday - good group of people.  Thanks.

'The Gaffer'

Ok, so far so good, any more takers?

I'm not sure about costs but the more cars we get the cheaper it will be, I would guesstimate £25-£30 per person??

As Andy says, its possible that a bit of tinkering can be done on the day but everything will depend on location. I was thinking about approaching InterPro in Thornbury but open to suggestions. Where is the place in Westbury Stu?

So far.

1.  Me
2.  YZFMINI
3.  dave_bence
4.  Psymon
5.  Sir Grin-a-lot
6.  stupott901
7.  andygtm
8.  Old Biker
9.  Krazyken
10 David H
11 Foggy

stupott901

hi phil

the web address is here http ://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk/

dont know how good they are but they were in CKC mag a while back in one of the show guides

stu

Krazyken

'The Gaffer'

Cheers Stu.

Added you Ken.

Anymore takers for a Rolling Road Day?

foggy

I like the look of this, does it mean that the front of the car gets strapped down and  you give it every thing that its got, bit worried about blowing the engine up, it is 20 yrs old+! I do need my Webbers looking at- burning too rich. I would be willing to pay the £30ish to have them looked at.Yeah,put me down for it, I might  not go on the rolling road.But interested to see what goes on.

Grin-a-lot

I'm in the same position as Foggy, just changed the plugs and they were a proper sooty black colour.

Exhaust keeps popping too so beginning to think that its running rich.

'The Gaffer'

Ok the venue will be InterPro in Thornbury, North Bristol. Date to be confirmed but will be talking to them soon.

Here is typical Dyno run, bit like a fast spirited road run really. Its all over in a matter of seconds.

Foggy, when I get details I will make enqs about older engines on the rollers, wouldent have thought there would be a problem unless your engine was worn out i.e knocking and blowing smoke.

The rolling road days are gnerally about getting cars on the rollers with maybe some small adjustments and advice thrown in, it is unlikely that there will be an experienced mechanic to make carb adjustments on the fly as that will take some time. It's possible though and I'm sure you will recieve good advice regardless.

Sir Grin, likewise :)

foggy

Just watched the vid of the rolling road. Scaaaaaaarrrrryyyyyy. I would still like to go. Might be able to pick up a few tips. Might even put it on the rolling road. My car will probably be coming off the road in October,to do all the changes to it. So if its before then, fine.

foggy

On that short clip about the rolling road,they showed a chart at the end of it, I knew thaht I had seen one of those before,just been through the paper work for my car and it was on a rolling road in 2008 and its had new pistons,new head,re-bore etc etc back in 98.So I think it will be alright to go on the rolling road.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: foggy on 12, August, 2010, 08:33:59 PM
On that short clip about the rolling road,they showed a chart at the end of it, I knew thaht I had seen one of those before,just been through the paper work for my car and it was on a rolling road in 2008 and its had new pistons,new head,re-bore etc etc back in 98.So I think it will be alright to go on the rolling road.

If its done it before should be fine, make your own mind up on the day :).

Grin-a-lot

I'm going to drop out of the rolling road trip I'm afraid; decided that I need someone to tune my carbs as well so booked into the place in Westbury for Monday afternoon for a dyno run and tuning session.  Think that'll be more use in the long run!  Never done this before sonuite looking forward to seeing how she gets on with a rolling road!

evolution

Phil
Got mine booked in next saturday (21st) for rolling road/setup. Cost for this is £195.  Is there any enquiry you'd like me to make?

Steve

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: evolution on 15, August, 2010, 12:27:12 AM
Phil
Got mine booked in next saturday (21st) for rolling road/setup. Cost for this is £195.  Is there any enquiry you'd like me to make?

Steve

All in hand mate, but thanks :)

mattsmev

Yes please, I have never done anything like that, and i am worried that the figures would be disappointing, but a search for the truth can only be a good thing.  I'd love to join in.

Cheers

Mattsmev

evolution

Update.
Took her down 8.30 saturday morning.  Left shortly before 3pm. There's been an annoying misfire under acceleration for a while which I put down to the traction control, Initially Dave suspected the same but bypassed the TC and it remained.  Tracked it down to (I hope) the crank sensor being misaligned (washers are being used as shims and are not the best way for a piece of kit that needs to be accurately set.  That coupled with it looking like it's failed.  New sensor ordered and Dave is making a shim and screened loom.
Currently deboosted to 12psi and 235bhp.  Dave has said that once misfire cured he will move boost up to 18psi which will be safe and this will give in the region of 300bhp.  Booked in for 1st september so should have tested it before september meet.

Steve

hoobahole

David H

'The Gaffer'

OK we need at least 15 cars to make this work and Pre-payment is a requisite. It will cost about £35 per person.

So lets see whos up for it, and if we have enough interest then I will book a date that hopefully will suit most.

Will be a great day out :)

So far those who have expressed an interest are listed below. We need a few more so get them names down folks,

1.  G&T
2.  YZFMINI
3.  dave_bence
4.  Psymon
5.  stupott901
6.  andygtm
7.  Old Biker
9.  Krazyken
10. David H
11. Foggy
12. mattsmev
13. hoobahole

YZFMINI

Well i will have 2 goes as i need a first run to record data then ill adjust the fuel map and have another go as iv not had the chance to get it run all the way up yet.. so second run should be better...

yzfmini

Krazyken

Phil

Have we obtained a quote from the rolling road guys in Westbury Wilts?  I spoke to them at a kit car show and they were very interested in putting together a package at a special price.  Also my car and possibly others will come off the road for the winter at the end of October.  I will contact the guys in Westbury for an alternative quote and hopefully they may run it with a few less numbers as we are clearly struggling to get 15.

'The Gaffer'

Ok Ken. Cheers :)

No quote as yet as we havent quite hit target yet.

peetee

Hi Krazyken, What's the name of the rolling road company in Westbury Wilts, it may be a good option for me? Cheers, Pete

Grin-a-lot

I went there the other week, its called M-Tech Automotive 01373 303033.

The service was pretty good and friendly.

The only snag i've got is that they tuned the carbs and put it on the rolling road but it turns out that the carbs were not really bolted to the engine and so suffering lots of air leaks so they've been set incorrectly.  I would've hoped that they would have been spotted something like this before doing a tune up so i'm a bit disappointed by that.

Now that the bolts have been tightened and the seal made, the settings they did are completely out (idle jumped from 1000rpm to 1600rpm immediately) out so I'm backfiring all over the place and the mixture is all messed up.  I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what can be done about it.  They don't know about these troubles yet so it'd be unreasonable for me to judge them any further.

So all things considered, very technically competent but missed something basic that I feel they should've picked up.  Carb tune and rolling road cost me approx £150 so not a bad price either.

peetee

Thanks for that Sir Grin-a-lot. Good luck when you contact them again, let me know how you get on......