Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Speedometer advice - type 9 and mechanical speedo

Started by scorhill.89, 08, December, 2015, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorhill.89

Afternoon all!

I've run into an unexpected problem with the scorhill build

So back in august i was weighing up options for instruments and decided i would go for the mechanical speedo from ETB, before ordering i had the cable made from speedy cables, (ford circlip > M18 screw on) I got the cable recently and attempted to order the instruments only to find that the mechanical speedometer is now discontinued!

Id really like to stay with the mechanical option, does anybody know if the ETB cable fitment is the same as any other clocks? could i possibly use smiths instruments? Or is my new cable now useless?

All help would be much appreciated! I have no knowledge on this whatsoever, thanks in advance!

Iancider

scorhill.89

Mechanicals have gone for a reason - nobody supports them any more.  I would suggest you cut your losses at this point and go electronic.  It is easy really.  (You may need to plug the drive port to prevent any oil leakage).

An electronic speedo needs a power supply from the ignition on position, an earth connection, a supply connected to the sidelights to light the panel lights and a pulse supply from one of the wheels.

All pulses are derived from sensing the hub-nuts rotating or sometime the propshaft nuts (less desirable).  Front wheel sensing is best - avoiding wheel-spin effects.  Should you go down that route please ask I can offer all the help you need.

benchmark51

I have a mechanical speedo currently working with a type 9, matching tacho as well. I have been considering going electronic and so if your interested let me know. I don't know which speedo I would like yet, still looking so any recommendations?

fletch_306

I have just moved from an etb mechanical setup on my type 9 to an electronic gauge from etb I used a ford Ka pickup which converts mechanical to electronic pulses on the same size square drive, you do need an adapter which you can get from burton power and I think some other places. Being programmable the gauge was very easy to set up. I know that doesn't really help with the cable issue but after multiple broken cables in the long run its the cheapest route.

Fletch

scorhill.89

Thanks for your replies gents!

Electronic may be the sensible option then, well at least i haven't cut the dash out yet!

Moleman

fletch_306

If you go the same Way as me and you get stuck you only need to ask.

Fletch

scorhill.89

Nice one, thankyou very much! i think il come back to it once the loom is in after christmas

cheers guys

Iancider

QuoteNice one, thankyou very much! i think il come back to it once the loom is in after christmas

Christmas is LOOMING  :D

Sorry couldn't resist it!