+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

What handy tool(s) should I buy guys???

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 12, October, 2015, 12:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

For my birthday I treated myself to a fluid filled tyre pressure gauge and am getting a chrome vanadium 24 inch power bar from my ex, to release those stubborn wheel nuts after seeing the pro in action - Moleman at Combe - and how easy he made it look!

I have about another £15 to £20 to spend. What other handy tools could I get that would be useful to a kit car owner and may come in handy at a track day? Any other 'non-tool, gift-to-myself' ideas (clean or otherwise!) are welcome too.

Answers not on a postcard please.....

Fot Christmas I'd like this please guys..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-GT40-by-GR-Developments-/231718371183?hash=item35f37dbf6f

Moleman

I have always liked though's GT40's   8)

I'm guessing you have a socket set, spanners, allen keys etc. What about a torque wrench so you don't do up the wheel nuts too tight in the first place.

I also find a bucket is useful to wash off the mud from grass tracking.  ::)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 12, October, 2015, 07:59:17 PM
I have always liked though's GT40's   8)

I'm guessing you have a socket set, spanners, allen keys etc. What about a torque wrench so you don't do up the wheel nuts too tight in the first place.

I also find a bucket is useful to wash off the mud from grass tracking.  ::)

Yeah got all of those Colin but not the torque wrench, I lost all 3 of mine many moons ago, good idea mate, thanks.

I have plenty of buckets ready for when I go grass tracking nest time I'm at Combe!!  ;D

Gary RH7

I've been looking for a torque wrench for my wheel nuts when I get the alloy wheels fitted but got confused with the quantity available. Any ideas of a good one at a reasonable price. Anybody?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 12, October, 2015, 09:34:28 PM
I've been looking for a torque wrench for my wheel nuts when I get the alloy wheels fitted but got confused with the quantity available. Any ideas of a good one at a reasonable price. Anybody?

My mate big Jon (you may have seen him at the ADC if you were there) has ones that vibrate when they hit the correct torque figure! They are brilliant, you can literally use them with your eyes shut and ear plugs in (though why you would is beyond me!) they vibrate right up your arm when used. Good in a noisy workshop I guess. They would be mega bucks I think though, all his stuff is Snap On and he has sh :o tloads of it!

I'll have a look on ebay etc tomorrow Gary. The ones I had back in my Lotus days were not expensive but they did the job spot on no probs at all. Depends how much use they will get to some extent, if you're not running a pro garage then there is probably no need to spend big tbh mate. You may only use them a few times a year!

Moleman

Mine is a Draper one which I got on ebay over 4 years ago which has been faultless & wasn't expensive.  :)

benchmark51

Mines a Draper and works fine. Had it checked and recalibrated not long ago

Facial Hair Optional

Any views on what is the most useful torque 'range' to get guys?

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 12, October, 2015, 10:36:55 PM
Any views on what is the most useful torque 'range' to get guys?

What you saying? All this Torque and no info?  ::)

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Yeah torque is cheap Bri - but it does depend on the brand  :P