News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

MSA ROPS Petition on Change.org

Started by foggy@smr, 16, October, 2015, 02:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy@smr

Hi all,

There is an online petition been started by someone concerning the MSA ruling of the Roll Over Protection (ROPS) that is coming in for ANY MSA sanctioned event for 2016.

I am being hit by this ruling, where my factory fitted (Westfield race chassis) welded in cage has to be cut off the chassis and be replaced by a bolt in cage, which is made of the same spec material. Not only is the cost an issue, but the rigidity and overall safety of the car is being compromised.

I am asking everyone that either competes or is thinking of doing any type of sprinting or hill climbing, to sign this and force the MSA to review the changes that are coming into force.

I understand that there has to be a level of safety to compete under, but ruling that adequate cages need to be replaced is not the way forward. Why cant each competitor have to get their car checked by a local MSA scutineer and given an go or no-go sticker to be placed on the cage.

There is a typo on the statement, but this is being amended to read 2.5 instead of 1.5...

Link HERE https://www.change.org/p/motor-sport-association-msa-msa-rops-regulations-for-2016-creating-unnecessary-costs-and-a-negative-safety-impact?recruiter=405680504&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Iancider

Daley Down Under

Moleman

foggy@smr

Thanks guys.....

This realy is turning into a farce and has to be sorted. There are a lot of people affected by this. Not only the Westfields, but also the Strickers, as a cage has never been homologated for that chassis...

When I rang the MSA technical dept concerning this, I was informed that I cant use my cage because of the tubing size, even though the repacement is exact same size, but more worrying, that I can buy a length of correct size diameter tube from a well used aution site, and weld it on in its place and go racing !!! No checks on the welds or anything !!!  :o :o :o

If this cant be sorted, then there will be a lot of people moving from all of the British championships over to the Javelin championship, where I have been told the car is OK to use...

'The Gaffer'

Facial Hair Optional

Sounds like madness to me, all signed

Camber Dave

By my recollection the main hoop of ANY car used in RAC MSA race events has been 45mm (1.75") and 2.5mm wall CDS for at least 15 years. During that time I believe the back stays have been increased from 38mm (1.5") to 45mm.
This is a standard spec with a variety of configurations as illustrated in the 'Blue Book'.
This is so all builders will exceed the safety requirements of a vertical load of 7.5 G
Those series featuring cars with smaller ROPS had those cages Homologated by the chassis builder who would have certified engineers to sign off the design in its specific application. and specified championship.They will also have the appropriate insurance cover in place.

All cars involved in on track collisions go to the scrutineers and presumably reports are prepared and sent to MSA technical commission.

No doubt the predominately amateur speed event is also becoming more technical and faster.
A scrutineer can measure 45 mm and inspect the fixing welds, but not differentiate between a cage made for, supplied by and installed by Caterham and a lighter replica made and presented at a sprint in Cornwall or hill climb in Scotland.

Nowadays with the preditary lawyers so active the organizer of last resort (RAC MSA) has to provide the same assurance and indeed insurance.

ROPS petition not signed