Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

kit car virgin

Started by nojjer, 30, April, 2016, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nojjer

Hello,
i am new to the kit car world, i have recently made a new purchase on a Tiger Cat E1 which im very pleased with.
The car came with loads of build history and even spent time at the tiger factory to be finished.

Only down side, it hasnt had the IVA test so this is where i will be focusing my time. Am i right in saying if its not there they cant test it? fog lights, reverse lights? any pointers would be great!

Fingers crosses once its all on the road i will attend meets and events

Brandy Barrel

Very nice car.
I think it all depends on the age of the kit and the vehicle regs.
No i'm sure its not a case of if its not fitted.
I believe you'll have to fit certian bits, but I dont know.
B

benchmark51

Your best bet is to ask them or get a copy of the current requirements. As far as I know all lights are required for test. However and windscreen is not, so no wipers or washers either. There are lots of odd requirements, some you would never guess, so get the info from them. Or download this PDA file, hope it helps. Dave

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/iva-guide-version-30-dec.pdf

nojjer

Thanks for the guidance guys, completely new to this IVA and kit car stuff so its all a learning curve

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: nojjer on 30, April, 2016, 09:29:48 PM
Thanks for the guidance guys, completely new to this IVA and kit car stuff so its all a learning curve
There are few guys on here who can probably help you but a lot of them are tied up this weekend with the Stoneleigh kit car show. Maybe re-post again in a few days time when they are all back in the land of the living.

I'm sure Iancider can point you in the best direction (he's like a Stephen Fry of kit cars!!). There have been IVA related threads on here before too so they may be worth digging out as well.

fullpint

Welcome along.. As for IVA!!! I got mine already for the road. Less of a pain. Have heard of builders putting every thing on for the IVA only then to switch and change it all after its passed.. Sounds like a pain in the butt... Good luck tho, I'm sure you can do it..

peterw

High Nojjer, Download the IVA manual www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/354071/M1_IVA_inspection_manual.pdf
It's 299 pages but don't let that put you off, lots of us have been through it !! Give it a good read and you will see what it's all about (Guaranteed cure for insomnia). If your car has been via the factory then you may find that a lot of it will already comply if not most of it.

Any questions just post and someone will pick it up. Where are you based, there may be someone close to you that can help.

Pete

damouk

As said about you need to go through the test manual, it's not that difficult, if you are on the edge as to weather something will pass or not then do something you are happy will. Might be a bit more work both will pay off in the test.

As for fog light yea it is required, and must operate only with dipped or main beam. You must also have to switch it back on after dipped or main lights have been switched off

nojjer

Thanks for the welcome's, i will have a good read through the IVA manuals.

My main concerns are wiring, should it be clipped up or are cable ties good enough? and parts that should be 'type approved' fuel tank, is there a way to tell if something is approved?

benchmark51

Keep wires as tidy as possible. I use black plastic trunking, run the wires through that and tape it up every couple of inches. Gives easy access to wiring in the future. 'P' clip it as necc'.

Iancider

Hi Nojjer,

Welcome to the club.  I have built a car and put it through he IVA and I am very willing to help-out.  When you are ready I am happy to meet up with you and give your car a once over and some practical advice. 

To answer some of you general queries:  The IVA generally does not car how you achieve something as long as it is adequate.  Wiring may be tie-wrapped secure at intervals of not greater than 200mm but P clips look more professional.  As Benchmark said enclosing you wiring in split conduit also helps protect wiring from heat and chafing.  Petrol pipes have to be mounted in plastic or rubber lined clips so that they will not be abraded by vibration.  Some general rules are to look out for any items that could cut you or the passenger during an accident and similarly there must be a safety radius on anything that might cut a pedestrian during a collision.  All lights must carry E marks and function correctly as Damon suggests and the operation of the fog light does catch people out.  Fuel safety is a big focus zone and you will find lots on that in the guide.

This quick access guide on the Govt website is also very helpful and in plain English:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass

When you are ready I am very willing to pop-round and give you some guidance.

Regards
Ian

nojjer

Thank you all so much for the info so far, took the car out for a very quick run down the road this weekend, cant wait to get it on the road.

Started taking a few panels around the front off this weekend, so ill start taking photos and get a progress thread up

stevel

Hi Nojjer

I have a Tiger Supercat, I am up in Gloucester (BKCC outsider!!).  You are welcome to take a look at any details, the car was IVA in 2005 but should still be relevant.  Let me know if I can be of any help.