News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Best kit car insurance comparisons / reviews / recommendations

Started by 'The Gaffer', 08, October, 2009, 11:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

I thought it would be a good idea to put your real world experiences of kit car insurance into a sticky thread to maybe help others find the best deal or service.

I personally use Frank Pickles insurance.

Who do you use?

Bulldog Bri

this year I've used Adrian Flux, I used to use them years ago, always had a good quote from them. though I will a little more homework for next year. ;D

8)

'Mendip Wurzel'

When I was looking Sureterm Direct were the cheapest for me.
Kevin

PhilW

Hairy Santa

Iv'e been with Hagerty's for a couple of years

Well worth a go

David H

Competition Car, includes track day cover. Did 2 years of Flux, they were cheap and i liked them.

dave_bence

I've just changed to Adrian Flux from Footman James.

I've always had good service from FJ, but the price has gradually been creeping up.

This year, FJ wanted £197.33. Identical cover from AF was £133.40. Quite a difference!

Richard

That is a surprisingly big difference on that amount, time for a ring around coming up.

Krazyken

Same as Dave Bence I changed a year ago from Footman James and am with Adrian Flux £152 incl. 3K miles, full breakdown and European cover.  There are some advantages to getting older and being a kit car driver!!   :D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MendipWursel on 08, October, 2009, 11:33:45 AM
When I was looking Sureterm Direct were the cheapest for me.
Kevin

Looks like Sureterm Direct came through for me this time too.

I will miss the personal touch of MSM though but the wallet comes first.

foggy

I used Sureterm Direct, found it in the K/car magazine. They quoted me £60.00 cheaper for my motor bike, thats due soon! If I go ahead     with the purchase of the Robin Hood, they gave me a quote on that as well-seems alright for me.

gingerpaul

Having been lied to about the cover they offered when taking out a policy with Adrian Flux I absolutely would not recommend them. We ended up having a long argument and was patronised about how what I was saying couldn't possibly be right and obviously I was making things up. After suggesting they listened to the recording of the sales conversation they apologised and offered a full refund so they realised they were wrong but who knows what they would be like if you had to make a claim.

I'm currently dealing with 2Gether Insurance. They're a small outfit so you can speak to the same person every time if you want to but I am struggling to get the right paperwork sorted. We're nearly there though and at least they're trying hard and are keen to impress. I suspect I'm one of the few people who actually reads their policy terms and conditions so perhaps they don't get many people coming back to them to get items corrected.

I'll update this once I've got it sorted if anyone is interested.

'The Gaffer'

We are always interested to hear your insurance stories, good or bad.

gingerpaul

Quote from: G & Toniq on 04, April, 2010, 10:34:42 PM

We are always interested to hear your insurance stories, good or bad.

Well this is what I wrote about Flux on Pistonheads a month or two ago. It gives a little more detail about my problem with them.

QuoteWell Flux lied to me about agreed values when I took out a policy a little while ago so I wouldn't hold your breath. After supplying everything they asked for and receiving all the policy douments they sent me a further letter saying "We're pleased to tell you we've agreed your policy at £xxk", which was about 2/3 of what we had actually agreed.

When I gave them a call to ask what they were playing at I was patronised for thinking that they would possibly agree a value above the market rate. Explaining that surely that is the point of agreed value policies made no difference. In the end I got them to listen to sales phone call and, surprise surprise, they called might straight back and offered me a full refund.

The bottom line is I wouldn't trust them to have done what they said they will until all paperwork has been received and you have double checked it.

I'll update the 2Gether Insurance story once it's settled. I am fairly confident they'll be ok though going by the impression I got from them on the phone.

Daley Down Under

I too had a problem with Flux and agreed value on the Spire (when it came to renewal).  They were very helpful in sorting it out although for this year only. 

'Mendip Wurzel'

I have historically used Sureterm, but this year used Frank Pickles who were cheaper. They both used the same insurer who was Summit

Denzle

Yes, Adrian Flux seem quite reasonable.  But then it depends on your circumstances, age, fines, accidents etc..

pedro

Until you need them its always difficult to say how good any insurance is but last time I did some ringing around I ended up with Gott & Wynn who seem competitive and reasonably efficient. :)

WALNUT

I found that Footman James, were vey good when it comes to paying out. I wrote my Robin Hood off and they paid out without fuss, and were quick in doing so.

Tony

peetee

Insurance4kitcars did the job for me. Very helpful and friendly and great value too at £120!

Dixie

I use Roadsure, can't fault them.  Got an agreed value for both cobs.

My Dax cost £60 for stand up cover, and the Viper cost £175 fully comp and 3000 miles agreed value.

M

Richard

Kevin - That looks like the list from TotalKitCar - TKC. If it is you should at least acknowledge the source and even ask for permission / link to it on their site where they keep it up to date.

paintman

Just had my insurance renewal for the Hood come through from Footman James,  £223 for 3000 mls. cover..... bit high I thought so I shopped around.

Adrian Flux wanted £187 ......  Sureterm Direct wanted £130 with £50 excess and track day insurance.........bargain or what! :P :P

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: paintman on 07, October, 2010, 08:16:46 PM
Just had my insurance renewal for the Hood come through from Footman James,  £223 for 3000 mls. cover..... bit high I thought so I shopped around.

Adrian Flux wanted £187 ......  Sureterm Direct wanted £130 with £50 excess and track day insurance.........bargain or what! :P :P

That is a great deal. What track day insurance did you get with that?

paintman

Not sure yet.....haven't got the paper work through yet just paid over the phone.

It also included a replacement car and "agreed" insurance if I have receipts for improvements from the original purchase price ie.....as I have resprayed it and will have redone the interior and dash I can add this to the valuation.

Dixie

Quote from: paintman on 07, October, 2010, 08:16:46 PM

I use this company, my Cob limited to 3000 miles and a agreed value for £176 and road side assistance.  Good value I think  ;)

robp

Flux, FJ and Sureturn were all around 200 pounds for my Westy.  Went with Frank Pickles this year for 118.  Thankfully I haven't ever had to claim.  That's when you know how good an insurance company they are.

paintman

I agree.   Your paying for a piece of paper until you claim......thats when you know if it was good value or not.

I noticed thar Roadsure was was underwritten by Highway Insurance, which is the same as my van insurance.   I had a claim earlier this year with no hassle......hope  a car claim would be as smooth.

What I can't figure out is where they would get replacement parts from.....hardly off the shelf for body panels and if you have side damage in most cases that would write the car off surely!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: paintman on 11, October, 2010, 10:11:00 PM
What I can't figure out is where they would get replacement parts from.....hardly off the shelf for body panels and if you have side damage in most cases that would write the car off surely!

Which is why its best to get an agreed value from the offset so if the car is written off you get the agreed value back in cash to enable you to by a like for like replacement car again.

'The Gaffer'

Going with Chris at A Plan this year. Very helpful and good quote.

foggy

Insurance due,at present with Sureterm Direct, had the quote from them-way too much! Going to Adrian Flux,£64.00 cheaper for the same cover, I don't think it pays to stay with the same  Ins Co. Same thing with the motor bike,change companies every year.

'Mendip Wurzel'

The same happened with me....
I was with Sureterm and this year found Frank Pickles to be cheaper. Not only that Frank Pickles used the same insurance company as Sureterm .... ie, they were both using Summit Insurance.

www.frankpickles.co.uk - 01943 850999

Krazyken

Dont forget to quote BKCC with Adrian Flux for additional discount.  The Gaffer will have all the links up in the next couple of weeks but Flux have offered up to 15% additional discount to BKCC members.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Foggy

Not sure if this helps.....

KIT CAR INSURANCE COMPANIES
Adrain Flux www.adrianflux.co.uk - 0845 130 3400 / 0800 369 8590 (over 25yrs)
A-Plan Insurance - 01635 874646 (Chris Clacy)
www.insurance4kitcars.co.uk - 0151 356 8776
Frank Pickles
www.frankpickles.co.uk - 01943 850999 (Summit Insurance)*** Competitive
www.buckinghaminsurance.co.uk - 01773 478 627
Colchester Insurance - 01206 792 927
www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk - 0115 941 5255
EA Davies – 02390 342999
www.footmanjames.co.uk - 0845 458 4143
www.graham-sykes.co.uk - 01395 255100
www.glynwood.co.uk - 01543 675 163
Link - 0834 330 6001
www.moris.co.uk
www.msminsurance.co.uk - 01279 870 535
Noel Dazely – 0870 0466604
www.norton-ib.co.uk - 0845 373 4774
www.osbornandsons.co.uk - 0208 388 6000 / 0680 (over 21yrs)
www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk - 0845 099 9500
www.quotezone.co.uk
www.reis.co.uk – 01159 850165
www.roadsure.ltd.uk - 0845 408 0016
Sureterm Direct – 0700 2020 230 / 0800 9992030
www.sureterm.com - (Summit Insurance)*** Competitive
www.hallandclarke.co.uk (Towergate) - 0870 990 6060
www.2getherinsurance.com  (Over 25yrs old only)

Total Kit Car Magazine also have an insurance page at: http://www.totalkitcar.com/insurance.php

YellaBelly

Nice one Mendip :D

Very useful list there :)

JB

'The Gaffer'

A-Plan came through for me this time.  If you ask for a quote from them, mention you are a BKCC member for discount.

Denzle

I have just emailed A-Plan for a quote.

My renewal off Adrian Flux has shot up in price following this first year to £184...   

They also told me that you can only have one no claims bonus as well.  The one for your main vehicle.

Is that correct that you cant build a no claims on another vehicle..?

Surely its your good driving they should go on, not the vehicle...

There is also a £30 Policy issue fee included in this.   What the **** is that

Talk about having your cake and eating it...... :P   Typical Insurance companies.

Denzle.

paintman

When i insured mine they gave me the same n.c.bonus as i had on the van......i.e. max.    You can't drive both at the same time can you, so they both should be the same. ::)

Denzle

Quote from: paintman on 16, March, 2011, 10:39:45 PM
When i insured mine they gave me the same n.c.bonus as i had on the van......i.e. max.    You can't drive both at the same time can you, so they both should be the same. ::)

Was that with Adrian Flux.     So you had max no claims bonus on both the van and the kit at the same time.  Is that correct.
Denzle. 
========================================================

WOw..........Just got a quote off Frank Pickles of........£86.32 Fantastic... ;D 

'The Gaffer'

Every kit car insurance I've taken out did not take NCD into account at all.