News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Thursday Evening Club meet 3rd March

Started by Moleman, 25, February, 2016, 08:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

Who is up for our Thursday evening meet on 4th February at "The Lock Keeper", Keynsham Bypass, Keynsham, Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset BS31 2DD from 7pm onwards

This will be the last one here as hopefully it will be nice enough to go back to the Riverside in April.  8)

We will be under the heated Umbrella's if you haven't been there before.  :)  The weather won't matter as you don't have to bring the kit car if you don't want too now that the cold weather is setting in. It will still be a chance to get together keep up with your winter projects & talk about any other idea's about what we want to do for the club this year.

So who is up for it? :)

Iancider

damouk

I could well be there, can someone bring along some enthusiasm.

sanzomat

Quote from: damouk on 26, February, 2016, 07:34:32 PM
I could well be there, can someone bring along some enthusiasm.

Planning to come and will probably bring my Spyder to prove a car can be dismantled AND put back together again! Keep the faith!!

damouk

CrisisWolf

Away with work - thought I'd say incase you assume you scared me off last time! April probably away as well as travelling with work. Nothing personal!

Moleman

Thanks for letting us know Chris.  8)

Anyone else going to turn up?

Hairy Santa

Crunchie Gears

I always look at these get togethers and think I should go.  :)

The issue is it is 1.5 hrs there and during the week it is a tough call.  This week Head Office is going away for a couple of weeks so I will not get a pass.

Have a good meet up.  ;D

damouk

I don't go to every meet crunchie as it's an hour each way for me. 

sanzomat

Did I recall correctly that someone has a noise meter? I'm thinking the Spyder is a bit noisier than before so it might be good to check before April's Combe day.

I guess that more cc's plus better gas flow = more BHP but must also = more noise. I think I was at 91dB last time. If the increase in noise is linear with increase in power (for the same exhaust system) then my 35% power increase could mean a 35% noise increase. Based on 10dB being double the noise then I should still be okay 'cos 35% would be about 3.5dB so 94.5dB but I'd like to be sure!

If any of the pub goers has a sound meter could they please bring it along on Thursday :)

'The Gaffer'

Has anybody thought about going for a bite to eat somewhere instead of shivering under gas lamps? I'd be much more inclined to do that when I can during the winter. Maybe move the venue around so our further away members can easily join in too?

damouk

That reminds me I had a lovely falafel salad the last time I was at the Lock Keepers. :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 28, February, 2016, 10:35:59 AM
Did I recall correctly that someone has a noise meter? I'm thinking the Spyder is a bit noisier than before so it might be good to check before April's Combe day.

I guess that more cc's plus better gas flow = more BHP but must also = more noise. I think I was at 91dB last time. If the increase in noise is linear with increase in power (for the same exhaust system) then my 35% power increase could mean a 35% noise increase. Based on 10dB being double the noise then I should still be okay 'cos 35% would be about 3.5dB so 94.5dB but I'd like to be sure!

If any of the pub goers has a sound meter could they please bring it along on Thursday :)

Yes Dave, Lucky Ed has one (I'm not offering it's use, just saying!) Actually come to think of it, I have one as well though I have yet to use it. Got it on ebay, nice and cheap but no idea how accurate it is though I feel sure it is pretty good by the look of it. I was going to calibrate mine against Ed's at some point (he kindy offered a while back) just to see how accurate it is.

Your noise level is very low Dave, excellent really. Why did the guy at Combe tell me that the noise doubles every 3dB? Was he winding me up?

I will try and dig out my meter Dave, you are welcome to try it out for me!  ;D

Hairy Santa

will try and remember to bring my sound meter

Iancider

QuoteYour noise level is very low Dave, excellent really. Why did the guy at Combe tell me that the noise doubles every 3dB? Was he winding me up?

The power doubles with ever 3db - the volume doubles with every 10 dB because the human ear is so non-linear.  If you are 3dB over the limit you have to reduce the noise power to half - so 3dB near the limit takes a lot of effort to handle it!  9dB is 2x2x2 or eight times the power and close to double the volume.

Lucky Ed

I hope to be there, but I've got some major dental work next week so I'll see how it goes.

If I do make it I'll bring my noise meter Dave.

damouk

Good luck Ed, I had three wisdom teeth out last week...

sanzomat

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 28, February, 2016, 07:37:19 PM
I hope to be there, but I've got some major dental work next week so I'll see how it goes.

If I do make it I'll bring my noise meter Dave.

Don't bust a gut Ed, it can wait! Hope the dental work goes well - is it required because you've been smiling so much since your engine mods?

Facial Hair Optional

No, his car is now so bloody fast his teeth half blew out I reckon!!!

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Iancider on 28, February, 2016, 07:23:21 PM
QuoteYour noise level is very low Dave, excellent really. Why did the guy at Combe tell me that the noise doubles every 3dB? Was he winding me up?

The power doubles with ever 3db - the volume doubles with every 10 dB because the human ear is so non-linear.  If you are 3dB over the limit you have to reduce the noise power to half - so 3dB near the limit takes a lot of effort to handle it!  9dB is 2x2x2 or eight times the power and close to double the volume.

Or in English its more noisy  :-[

Moleman

So that's at least 5 or 6 of us going so far then.  :)  If it was going to be dry I was even thinking of bringing the westy. It ain't looking like it now.

For anyone who is new please feel free to come along. You don't have to be the Kit car in this weather.  :D

Iancider

I checked the forecast and it is looking dry now - still they have another couple of days to get it wrong again.  If the weather looks good the Westie will be doing a 200 mile run that day!

Ian

sanzomat

Quote from: Iancider on 29, February, 2016, 10:14:45 PM
I checked the forecast and it is looking dry now - still they have another couple of days to get it wrong again.  If the weather looks good the Westie will be doing a 200 mile run that day!

Ian

Is that 200 miles of your favourite twisties to test out the new suspension set up then? If so we'll look forward to the smile fixed on your face :D, if not the grimace from numb other parts!

Iancider

QuoteI guess that more cc's plus better gas flow = more BHP but must also = more noise. I think I was at 91dB last time. If the increase in noise is linear with increase in power (for the same exhaust system) then my 35% power increase could mean a 35% noise increase. Based on 10dB being double the noise then I should still be okay 'cos 35% would be about 3.5dB so 94.5dB but I'd like to be sure!

At risk of sounding like a complete geek....A doubling of the noise creating energy is only 3dB.  A doubling of the volume is 10dB which needs need nearly 10 times the power source to do that. Based on theory alone you might see +1db but what might have changes is the tonal content and that could hit resonance in the existing exhaust system.  So if it is up significantly it is possible the reduce the resonance OR just ENJOY THE NOISE!   8) :P ;)

Moleman

My weather report is say nice until about 5pm now. we will see.  ::)

Any more people coming tomorrow? :)

alastair

I should be there tonight. See you all later.

benchmark51

CC Cyclone

I'm not going to make it, car still moth balled at the moment and now a bit of a trek for me to get over there in the dark.
Roll on spring and lighter evenings...

mikebishop

hi, 

i'll be there also, not sure about the kit again.....

sanzomat

Hmm, >95% chance of heavy rain at 9pm tonight...

Might be in the tin top!

Hairy Santa

sorry lads had a complete memory meltdown - I forgot -  >:(

Lucky Ed

We did miss you Pete, but as there weren't any smokers, Uncle Colin let us sit inside in the warm ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Sorry I didn't make this guys, still not well and parents were worried so decided to come and visit me.

Hope it went well and cheers for the offer of a lift Mike B, much appreciated, I will make it there with you at some point I am sure. I miss you guys!!!!  ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-*

Iancider

Miss you too FHO - I had your pint so that it didn't go to waste ;)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 04, March, 2016, 09:59:07 PM
Miss you too FHO - I had your pint so that it didn't go to waste ;)

Don't forget - Bernie says think before you drive!

Iancider

Facial Hair Optional

Errrgh - I usually spit in mine to stop people doing that Ian!  ;D

How uncouth  :P :P

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 05, March, 2016, 09:57:30 PM
Errrgh - I usually spit in mine to stop people doing that Ian!  ;D

How uncouth  :P :P
We noticed that, so we spat in it too! Just to help of course ;D

Facial Hair Optional

There's a right load of jokers on tonight!! Haven't you got homes to go to!!!