+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another Triumph Spitfire

Started by robp, 13, November, 2012, 05:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandy Barrel

Absolutely brilliant posting lots of technical and feedback on bits. If you keep this 'diary' up it will be fab to see the progress.
Well done guys, whilst I have no interest in spitfires I still read every word, better than my EVO mag....

robp

Thanks for the comments.

The car is all in primer now and should be painted this week all going well.  I'm going to try and pop around and get some photos of how it is now.

Then starts the process of bolting everything back on again. :D

'The Gaffer'

Nice update, should be a real head-turner when its all up together 8)

YellaBelly

Nice to see Rob! I'm glad it wasn't just me taking for ever to get the Midget restored ;)

We've also decided not to sell the Midget now, she is very close to MOT and after all the hard work and hours/money we've spent it seems criminal not to at least drive her for a year. So here's to a good July, August and September at least :)

Be good to see yours after the paint shop :)

JB

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: robp on 11, July, 2016, 11:59:58 AM
Thanks for the comments.

The car is all in primer now and should be painted this week all going well.  I'm going to try and pop around and get some photos of how it is now.

Then starts the process of bolting everything back on again. :D
There was a very nice red spitty parked next to me at Queen Square yesterday Rob, the guy was very friendly and had rebuilt the car in '99 and done over 100,000 miles it it since all over Europe! I'm sure you two could have talked for hours about your cars  :)

robp

Here are a few photos of the Spitfire in the paintshop.  I'm delighted with the quality of the work so far.  All going well should be ready within a week.  8) 8) 8)

Don't worry it's not going to be red!

robp

Well, I collect the Spitfire from the bodyshop today.  Wow!  8) 8)  It looks great!

I now have to start putting it all back together!

Facial Hair Optional

Looks very nice Rob. Don't scratch it putting everything back on!

Daley Down Under

Very smart mate  8)

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

benchmark51

Nice job. When I did my last one, I remember refitting the splash cards each side of the engine and thinking 'nope, don't like that'. Painted them black, still didn't like it. Ended up making new ones out of ally! Looked pretty good.

robp

Latest update.  (it has been a while!)

I'm nearly there!  I've got most of the stuff back on the car now after the respray.  The windscreen was fun.  The old rubber was perished so I bought a new one.  I also replaced the brightwork strip.  Getting the screen in is not too difficult.  It is trying to get the chrome on that is tricky.  I tried putting it all together in various orders.  Chrome on to rubber first was straightforward enough but I really struggled to get the rubber on to the screen without it coming off.  Rubber on to screen first and chrome was still a pain.

Eventually I gave up and dropped the car into National Windscreens in Bristol.  They fitted the screen to the car first which they managed easily.  Then the chap tried to get the chrome on.  After 20 minutes he has only got the first straight part on and was struggling on the first corner.  His colleague came over and said 'you don't want to do it like that' and pulled it off (which the first chap wasn't too happy about!).  Instead they used a cord with the chrome too and it was all done in no time.  One of the corners was a little tricky but it is all in now and looks perfect.  I'm very happy with the results and can recommend these guys. 

Believe it or not, this is the first time the chrome has been on the car in over 30 years!  It is really worth the hassle fitting it as it really lifts the whole look of the car

I'm currently repairing the seats.  Most of the foam has turned to powder!  I should have this done in the next couple of weeks.

The car is now taxed, MOT and insured.  There is still a list of things to sort out but nothing (apart from the seats) to stop me getting out on road at last!  8)

fullpint

WOW what a change. Looking very smart in Yellow :)

benchmark51

Nice and bright, like the wheels too.

'The Gaffer'

Looks fantastic Rob, you should be very proud 8)