News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Slow punchures

Started by Bulldog Bri, 17, February, 2014, 05:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

I've got tiered of constantly re-inflating 4 of my tyres that have slow punctures, so thought I'd have a got at sorting them. Here's how I did it. With the wheel off pumped it up then poured a little water around the rim, where air was escaping small bubbles were appearing (some very small but all the same an air leak) where any of these appeared I took my crowbar and pushed it hard in between the tyre and the rim of the wheel releasing some air this is either dislodging a piece of dirt holding the tyre away from the rim or just helping to settle the tyre better to the rim. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to stop leaking but eventually seems to work (watch this space) But looking good so far. :-)

8)

Iancider

Bri,

This is good technique and any contaminant on the rim will cause a leak.  Tyre fitters rarely clean the rims when fitting and just a piece of thread, a speck of rubber or grit could cause a leak.  Pine needles produce really good slow leaks!

Working with rubber seals years ago I learnt that they should always be fitted wet and the same goes with tyres - fitters use a form of soap but detergent (Fairy Liquid is best) will do.  (Don't use mineral/engine oil - it rots rubber). The lubricant lets the grippy surface of the rubber move so that it fits perfectly - a dry seal might ruck and leak.  Any damaged rim on the wheel may also leak so if you find a gouge under the tyre bead, put in a smear of body filler and rub down flat again with 200 - 600 grit.

benchmark51

Yes, it's a sad fact that tyre fitters rarely make much effort to clean the rim when replacing tyres.
I had a customer who went back several times to get a leak sorted, without success. I took the tyre off
and found RTV silicone around the rim  ::). I gave the wheel a good clean with a wire brush and some scotchbrite, lubed it with fairy liquid and re-fitted the tyre. Job done. There were areas of hard rubber left where the bead sits, clean it off is the way, not sealer.

fullpint

This can be a problem with alloys wheels when using those nasty clamp on rim wheel weights. What happens in corrosion sets in. When you then change a tyre the weight is taken off and chances are another placed in a different area. However the new tyre could leak because the tyre bead is not sealing. A good rub with 60 grit may sort it or get the wheels refurbished! I know a man who can do that  :D ;D :D

Bulldog Bri

Once the car is on the road I may be looking for a nice refurb on these wheels ;)

8)

chris61

Mcr alloys on north road are very good for wheel refurbishment.
Clean rim, tyre soap on tyre (can get it in black now to save scrubbing clean the sidewalls) also for troublesome tyres, bead sealer is very good. It's painted on with a brush, liquid rubber

YellaBelly

Quote from: chris61 on 18, February, 2014, 01:00:12 AM
Mcr alloys on north road are very good for wheel refurbishment.

So's Steve (Fullpint), I can guarantee that :D

BTW, I agree with what Steve said. When two of the Discovery tyres had slow punctures, I needed new rubber eventually anyhow so took them in to be replaced and asked the guy to give them a good clean down with grit paper first. (They probably would have anyhow, but you never know ;))

bluehornetrider

I'd always recommend platinum alloys in Swindon for a full refurb, cost about £70 per wheel and come back as new, can also put new rubber on.