AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Tool Bar & Skills Exchange. Lend tools and share skills here...

Started by 'The Gaffer', 30, August, 2009, 09:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Heres a great idea from Dave Bence.

BKCC members may have some really useful tools sitting around in thier garages after being bought for one off jobs, or possibly more regular work.

The idea is that we list what tools we have, and offer to lend these tools to each other rather than coughing up hard earn't readies to buy new ones.

Why not list what tools you have on this thread that you are prepared to lend out.

Also, I thought maybe if we dont have tools to exchange or lend, we can also list our skills that may be of use to other members.

Of course both services would be at the owners discretion and availability and I would suggest only lending tools to active members that you trust, or taking a returnable deposit.

Get listing...

If you would like to use this service, just PM the member offering as it keeps the topic clear. Dont forget to post your experience on the general board though.

'The Gaffer'

I can maybe offer auto-electrical knowledge if you have a problem with wiring or something that refuses to work.

Bulldog Bri

Tools & Skills on offer......

G&T (Phil)
I can maybe offer auto-electrical knowledge

Bulldog Bri
I'll add the pipe benders (good for up to 20mm tube)
also a second pair of hands if needed.

8)

dave_bence

OK, lurking in my garage are;

1, Clarke folding engine crane. Rated at 500KG at the shortest beam setting, or 250KG at a more useful length. It coped easily with a Pinto/Type 9, but an iron american V8 and box might be too much for it. It can be dismantled and fits in a Mondeo-sized hatchback. I also have a load leveller for the crane.

2, Draper four-wheeled engine stand. Rated at 350KG. Perfect for holding an engine whilst rebuilding or painting/cleaning.

3, Oakes brake pipe flaring tool. Quickly and easily forms perfect convex and concave flares.

4, Gunson Hi Gauge compression tester. 10mm and 14mm fittings.

5, Gunson easi-bleed. One man (or woman!) pressurised brake bleeder.

6, Draper vice-mounted cone for fitting the stretchy CV gaiters over Sierra driveshafts. I used it on a car with push-in driveshafts and drum brakes. Might work with the disk-braked versions.

David H

I have plenty of plumbing tools etc. inc pipe benders.
Generator
The usual crap one collects from a few years fiddling with cars. I will post as I remember

Richard

Got a few duplicates of the above tools, BMW service reset light tool is a bit specific (slightly better than shorting pins if you are unsure of your pin 7 and 19 etc).

Perhaps if someone has limited space for dismantling a donor car we could offer a "club strip service" where a few turn up to accelerate the dismantling bringing a few tools along to help.

PhilW

I've got a four wheel alignment system, which does castor, camber etc

Jamie c

I can help with any glass areas and have got pretty handy at trimming over time.

Dixie

I have a MIG and ARC welder, most garage tools, torque wrench's etc, timing stuff, mini sand blaster, compressor and spray gun, nearly all the vehicle electrical testers you will need etc.

I am resonably good at spraying and panel beating, but cannot do trimming at all. 

If I can help, let me know.

Mark

reluctant

How about a four poster ramp !!! not the sort of thing to fit in the back of the mondeo, but occasionally the ramps empty, evenings and weekends. mig, plasma cutter. oxy, roll cage tube bender, hydraulic press and most workshop air  tools. and big workshop !!

Martin.

Mont.ster

Hi There, I have all sorts of tools and equipment (Too much to list) from many years of being in the motor trade, both mechanical and electrical.  I'm happy to offer any help/advice I can.

WALNUT

Skills I have none. Tools,hammer screwdriver But I do have a car transporter trailer, wich might be handy

Westiebusa

Hi All  :D Like to offer my sevices to anyone who might need a hand in the Bridgwater area. I'm a qualified mechanic/ sprayer 35+ years experience in the trade build my own race engines etc etc, also have various tools, spraying equipment (sprayed my Westie photos in my album) so if i can help anyone pm me  ;D 

'The Gaffer'

I know this thread has helped some members immensely, so thanks Westiebusa for offering your help :)

Richardp

I have to offer, VAG-com, and OBDII diagnostic tools, and operator. But limited free time.

These may be of limited use to those here, but there you have it.

I would like to add the following, MIG welding (up to 240A), engine building, wiring, engine swaps particularly ECU and sensor wiring looms, air tools, floor crane, counterbalance floor crane (no legs extend forward under the load).

A lot of this is not portable, but useable at a workshop in Somerset 20 miles from Bristol

Richard

chrislandy

Hi, I have experience with general car building, landies, kit cars etc , wiring, vehicle plumbing (fuel/oil/water), prototyping, engine builds etc... I can also help out with composite parts and I'm a Structural Engineer so if you want to build that nice garage with an engine hoist suspended from the ceiling PM me! ;)
Chris (near Cheltenham)

'The Gaffer'

evolution

Not sure what I can offer -time, an additional viewpoint. Good with a soldering iron and methodical.

Also pmd westiebusa as my car still needs a repaint  ;)

Grin-a-lot

I'm now the holder of the BKCC Carb synch/balancer.  If anyone wants to use it then just shout!

bluehornetrider

Smart repairing bodywork and small parts painting, including textured vinyl trim and small area cosmetic damaged alloy wheels.
Chippenham area, quite handy with filler work and have contacts for paintless dent repair and alloy wheel repair both mobile.

Zephyr

This is an idea that I haven't seen on any other forum but I have thought should be.  :D

What services I have:
CNC turning and milling, (bushes/bearings, head skimming, odd size nuts and bolts)
shim grinding
TIG welding
(Soon pipe bending)

What I need (want  :( )
Rolling road time
Someone who knows about electronics

Bulldog Bri

Could be interested in the pipe bending bit, as will need a new exhaust made up for the new engine.

8)

'The Gaffer'

Iancider

I can offer plenty of tools, a crane with leveller, low profile trolley jack, keen interest and a helping hand

Ian

sanzomat

I've sourced a 1.8 VVC K-Series engine and ancillaries to upgrade my Spyder. It is currently on a pallet somewhere between Scunthorpe and Yate! Once it has arrived and I've decided whether to install it as it is or spend some time stripping it down and rebuilding it first I'll be needing an engine crane. I've been looking on ebay and gumtree but thought I'd check the site for a thread rather like this one! Having found it, would any of the posters that mentioned engine cranes be willing to lend? Happy to make a contribution towards the wear and tear, or indeed a few pints to add further wear and tear!

Moleman

I would probably make it a winter job now as these jobs always take longer than you think it will. I can borrow one from work any time but it depends how long you need it for mate?

benchmark51

I think that if you are happy with the engine and you decide to use 'as is' and you have sourced all you need to do the job, I would do it in a good weather period. Of course it depends on your facilities, if you have loads of space in a nice heated garage then it's a winter job. If, like me, your outside and dodging showers then it it pretty grim doing it in the cold and wet. If you 'prep' the job well you won't sacrifice too much fun driving time

CC Cyclone

Quote from: benchmark51 on 27, March, 2015, 09:42:21 AM
I think that if you are happy with the engine and you decide to use 'as is' and you have sourced all you need to do the job, I would do it in a good weather period. Of course it depends on your facilities, if you have loads of space in a nice heated garage then it's a winter job. If, like me, your outside and dodging showers then it it pretty grim doing it in the cold and wet. If you 'prep' the job well you won't sacrifice too much fun driving time

^ That man talks sense. I have a cold unheated garage and no electricity. I have got precisely bugger all done on the car over winter, despite my best intentions. Plan carefully and you should get the bulk of an engine swap done in a weekend  :D

dave_bence

I'm in Pucklechurch, with an engine crane and load leveller available.

Works very well with K-Series ;D

Brandy Barrel

Does anyone have an M6 rivnut tool? I have a few that have come loose, can I just tighten or do I have to replace?
I will be at yate fc on Sunday ... Would need it for a week as have to strip stuff out to access the nuts. Ta

Moleman

I can borrow my works one for you. I will check what sizes it can do.  :)

Chaz

I've got a carbtune pro set and I'm almost proficient at it on Dellortos. I'm in the Swindon area.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/

Chaz

Sparkyb

Hi,
wish I had seen this thread earlier. I just bought a Ford Probe V6 engine and box for my Mazda Bongo. 4 of us loaded it into the Bongo in Staffordshire, and I drove back to Chippenham. Bought a 2 ton engine crane to get it out of the Bongo and put it in my garage for later. So I have a crane. I will be using it as soon as I can to remove another V6 engine from a Probe on my drive. (When the demolition in the lounge stops later this week) But if you need one, just shout.
Also have an old MIG welder that still works fine and I am about to get a 3HP 25L compressor. I have lots of other bits and bobs, but  finding them (and the time to play) is the tricky bit at the moment :)