News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Help -- Carbon stickon stuff

Started by Hairy Santa, 31, May, 2011, 03:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hairy Santa

are there any experts out there for sticking this carbon fibre stuff on

last time it I made a right hash of it , and this is a lot bigger

any help please , coffee and biks will be on tap

Pete

'The Gaffer'

Cant help you Pete sorry, but I have a dash to do.

Any experts out there care to give us a hand? I can stir the tea :)

Hairy Santa

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 31, May, 2011, 04:50:18 PM
Cant help you Pete sorry, but I have a dash to do.

Any experts out there care to give us a hand? I can stir the tea :)

are you all ready to stick it on the dash ?

I'm totally stumped at the moment, all ready and certain I will cock if I try it like the last time, I find it to delicate with my mitts

I have my fingers crossed we have some one within the club that will give us a shout

'The Gaffer'

Not quite but its easy enough to take off.

I have new switches to go in different places but haven't worked out a final layout yet. Wouldn't mind a small glove box either.

Furore Phil

Never tried this but I have heard that you can use a small amount of soapy water on the sticky side. This should allow you to slide the sticker around to get the correct position. The water will then dry out and the sticker should set solid.

Try it with a little off cut first ?

andygtm

Hello all. I have done a little bit with carbon fibre vynil on my mini wheel arches. Is it the 3M type as it has tiny air holes in it. If it is it can be stretched and manipulated with a heat gun or a hairdryer. The soapy water method works a treat on normal stickers so should be good for other vynil I should think. My effort was OK, I could pop round and give you a hand if you like. What do you want to cover with the stickon stuff?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: andygtm on 31, May, 2011, 10:19:48 PM
Hello all. I have done a little bit with carbon fibre vynil on my mini wheel arches. Is it the 3M type as it has tiny air holes in it. If it is it can be stretched and manipulated with a heat gun or a hairdryer. The soapy water method works a treat on normal stickers so should be good for other vynil I should think. My effort was OK, I could pop round and give you a hand if you like. What do you want to cover with the stickon stuff?

I have the 3M DI-NOC for my dash Andy, I don't know what Santa has. Thanks for the offer :)

Krazyken

If you are looking for some local businesses Track Developments manufacture carbon fibre components and have their own moulding oven and Dynamic Mouldings work with Carbon Fibre & GRP.

Hairy Santa

Hi Andy
Thanks for the offer of popping round but wont be needed now as I have stuck it on  - looks good - just the effect I was after

thanks once again

Pete

andygtm

Glad you are pleased with your own handy-work. Hope it looks like the real thing.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 01, June, 2011, 07:29:39 PM

Hi Andy
Thanks for the offer of popping round but wont be needed now as I have stuck it on  - looks good - just the effect I was after

thanks once again

Pete

Did you use any special technique Pete? Seems you are the expert now, fancy having a look at my dash and saving Andy some time? ;)

Hairy Santa

I did wet it, and I think it really required 2 to get a decent finish, I was surprized that it covered the tight corners reasonably well, but you have to use a lot more heat that I anticipated

will have to have a look at the dash some time,