News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Fancy a change! Audi TT or BMW 330...

Started by fullpint, 25, August, 2012, 05:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fullpint

Kit car is staying put but my daily runner (Fiat Stilo JTD) is a tad boring and I feel the need to change it.
Any one had any issues with the Audi TT (225) or a BMW 330. Looking at spending upto £6K less what ever mines worth.
Must have 4 seats and enough boot space for a weekly shop.

alastair

The TT has 4 seats, but you can bearly fit anyone in the back. I drove one a little while back and it is basically a VW Golf in sexy clothes.  They do lookgood and are a chick magnet.
The 330 has more room, and although you can fit four in, the two in the back won't be the most comfortable if they are adults if its a coupe. Theres a little more room in the 5 door i think.
I've had the e46 318 coupe and it was a good car. I've now got a e46 M3 which is basically the same, but much quicker. The only downside I can think of is the interioer, in comparrison with the TT the BMW is a little bit boring.

You should be able to get a good BMW for that sort of money though.

fullpint

Too old mate to pull 'chicks'  :D :D :D Plus the wife may have some thing to say about that.. As for room in the back. As long as I can get the two grand kids fixed in then space is not a real issue. I'm guessing the TT will handle loads better than the BMW!!! Think I may have to pay a visit to some local dealer for a test-drive once I've a garage near-by.

Moleman

I had A TT for 7 years & was very pleased with it. but the back seats are just for show though as long as it's just tots in car seats then you will be ok & if you go shopping without rear passengers then when the rear seats fold down it's not too bad.
BE WARNED!!! If you take the grandkids to the shops & park in the parents parking spots you WILL get nasty looks from mum's as your not driving a people carrier so must be parked there illegally as far as they are concerned. I used to love doing it when I had the nieces in the car & see how many would come up & say something then walk away realising I had kids on baord.  :P

MrFozzieBear

I had a manual E46 330Ci Coupe for a few years and loved it. One of the best cars I've owned and I would happily get another. It handled great and had a lot of poke, and everyone gets out of the way of it on motorways long before your even close. It was also better for fuel on long journeys than my 2 litre focus.
Only criticism I have on them being picky is I don't like the auto dimming rear view mirror, you can only see the outline of headlights and nothing else also when it sometimes snows if you open the boot all the snow slides down into the boot space. Seating space in the back I regularly had a car full of adults and no back pain like the Audi.
It passed every MOT with no problems, most reliable car I've also had. Basic stereo isn't the best though.
I had a look at a TT at the time and i don't mean to offend anyone but  found it a bit boring I liked the looks but felt it lacked feeling on the road and found the rear seats where just good for storing shopping or something like that. it wasn't for me.

fullpint

Thanks for the info... Yep I looked at a TT.. Rear seats are fit for kids under the age of 3. Not sure how an adult would fit. But I do like the fact that its 4WD which must give you loads of grip in the corners.
BMW 330; Not managed to see oe up close yet but they do look awesome and the mpg for a 3litre seems reasonable plus you can carry adults!!!! I need to pay a visit to our local garages I think and grab a test drive or two.. Trouble with that is I may be tempted by some thing else.. 4x4, Jag, Alfa ::) ::)

evolution

Have you considered a remap on the stilo?  You can get 200bhp for 300 notes, set of eiback springs will transform the handling and you still get the economy :D

fullpint

Quote from: evolution on 30, August, 2012, 12:55:47 PM
Have you considered a remap on the stilo?  You can get 200bhp for 300 notes, set of eiback springs will transform the handling and you still get the economy :D
Never crossed my mind going down that route!!!! I may do a search to see who is near-by... 8)

evolution

I had a couple of stili and it worked well, if the engine is sound and you're overall happy with the car(is it 120 or 150?). Then got the bravo 150 multijet which was dynod at 167 standard and put up to 221, had this done at Enfield and smiled all the way home ;D and economy improved to boot

fullpint

evolution

Hmmmm ;D Remap only should take you to 150+, with a station wagon not sure for handling but the eibach springs lower by 30mm and are progressive for 180ish squid.  From memory the multiwagon was not too bad for roll and grip suffering more from torque steer. Springs and remap but dopn't hold me to it. Check it out on fiat forum ;)

fullpint

Found a place at Hilperton (just down the road) and there prices on there web site are saying £175 for a re-map and should gain me +35BHP plus a few more buckets of torques  ;D ;D ;D
Will have a chat to them on Monday I think..

evolution

Good news, cheaper than I thought. Have they a rolling road as you need it set up properly?

fullpint

Not sure. Hopefully yes if not Circuit Motors at Castle Combe do..

Grin-a-lot

Paul at Circuit Motors did a good job on my crossflow on carbs with his rolling road.  Not sure if they can handle injection as well (he's a carb guru by trade I think) but its got to be worth asking.

fullpint

They had my Fiat 20VT Coupe on the dyno. Done a great job and was happy. Not the cheapest around though. CRS seem very cheap!! In fact tooooooo cheap so I'm guessing they only remap the ECU and then send you off. Just sent them an email to ask if they do a final set-up on a rolling road. At £175  I don't think so but hey it's only a family estate oil burner so gaining an extra 2 or 3 BHP is not a real issue..