News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

My Locost

Started by Bulldog Bri, 16, August, 2009, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

Well, I think I've got to the point in it's build where I'm about as far as I can go. If anyone is free for an afternoons tweeking and constructive critisising to tell me what else I need to get sorted, then give me a shout and let me know.

Bit of work on braking system (could be master cylinder) thats all

Cheers

8)

'The Gaffer'

I can give you hand Bri

Richard

Any particular days better for you, I can probably make a few hours with a bit of notice.

Bulldog Bri

Thanks guys.

Weekends are best for me. Though this coming weekend is booked up.

So whatever fits in with you.Just giveme a shout first.

Kettles always on (without a thermostat in it)

Cheers

8)

Bulldog Bri

Here is as far as I've got..

8)

Hairy Santa

Hi Bri

Did someone mention there's a kettle on

It's a crying shame I dont know the address, I suppose I will have to bring the biscuits once I get it

I like the look of the car, but aint it got a roof -- I will bring some canvas and bamboo sticks from the garden -- see what we can rig up

all the best

Pete 

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 16, August, 2009, 11:54:26 PM
I like the look of the car, but aint it got a roof -- I will bring some canvas and bamboo sticks from the garden -- see what we can rig up

I'm sure Bri would just love the tropical look ;D

Bulldog Bri

I'd prefer a lady in a grass skirt, sorry Pete  ;)

dave_bence

I'd be willing to lend a hand Bri.

David H

i'll spare you a few hours mate.

Bulldog Bri

This Sunday is now free for me, so anyone that wants to pop over is welcome   ;D

Cheers guys

8)

Hairy Santa

Hi Bri,
     I just thought I'd mention, one slight observation

NONE OF US KNOW WHERE IN KINGSWOOD YOU ARE

It could help   ;D ;D ;D

Dixie

Quote from: bulldog bri on 16, August, 2009, 01:44:11 PM
Well, I think I've got to the point in it's build where I'm about as far as I can go. If anyone is free for an afternoons tweeking and constructive critisising to tell me what else I need to get sorted, then give me a shout and let me know.

Bit of work on braking system (could be master cylinder) thats all

Cheers

8)
BRI is it registered yet??  Mark.

Bulldog Bri

Nope, not on the road yet. just got as far as I can go before starting the whole process of getting it registered :-X and looking for some pointers and critsisum or advice on what else needs to be done. Btw, I hate paperwork (thats why I drive for a living) so if anyone can help there, that would be great too..

8)

Dixie

Quote from: bulldog bri on 20, August, 2009, 10:36:55 PM
Nope, not on the road yet. just got as far as I can go before starting the whole process of getting it registered :-X and looking for some pointers and critsisum or advice on what else needs to be done. Btw, I hate paperwork (thats why I drive for a living) so if anyone can help there, that would be great too..

8)
Paul Jepson can help with paper work, cost £50.  You can get his details in kit car mag.  IVA wont like the big air filter, maximimum projection must be less than 50mm, not sure of exhaust either?

I have put a Cobra through SVA, but not done the IVA.

Mark

Richard

Can't make this Sunday I'm afraid.

Bulldog Bri

I want to just say a big thanks to Pete & Dave B for coming over this afternoon to give me a hand sorting a few bits out and giving me some pointers on what I need to get done on my Locost.

Cheers guys

Will have to start looking a paperwork soon now  ::)

8)

Richard

Sorry couldn't make it.

Seems the club made good progress, well done guys !
Hope the cuppa was good.

'The Gaffer'

Yes well done guys, thats what this forum is all about :).

Sorry I couldent make it but was away for the weekend.

Bulldog Bri

Always welcome anytime guys to have a look and give your opinion to what else I can do. I'm in most weekends. Just give a shout to say your able to pop in.

8)

Hairy Santa

Hi Bri,
  I have asked  the son in law about the manual and other paperwork you are after, he is going to ask the rally boys if anyone can help

Fingers crossed

You do make a mean cup of coffee-- thanks

Pete

dave_bence

Yep, coffee was very good.

Bri's car was impressive too - I take my hat off to anyone who can build a car from scratch.

Bulldog Bri

Just remembered, I posted this little vid on 'Youtube' last year from when I first drove the car.

Hope this link works!!!

8)

Bulldog Bri

Having a forced day off work tomorrow, (thanks Royal mail) so whole day on the car.

8)

YellaBelly

Looking good Brian :D

BTW, what did you say about the issue with the seats? Looked in the manual but it seems a little 'iffy on how the measurements are made. I am a little paranoid about my 7 Roadsters not making the grade with Mr IVA :o I'll not be too chuffed if my 'bargain buy' seats (£175 the pair) are no good :(

JB

Bulldog Bri

my seats were about 50mm to tall (from seat pad to top of the seat Headrest) should be, so I took the cover off and cut about 50mm out of the foam.

here you can see how much height I've gained (seats are to be recovered anyway)

and here is what i've done with that ally you gave me :)

Hope thats cleared a few bits up.

8)

YellaBelly

Blimey! you don't hang about! Good job there mate :)

I've seent the diagram from the manual regarding the seat, and as far as I can guess (without making a block as per the diagram) I reckon my seats will be around 67-68cm from the block to the top of the head rest :o

I really don't fancy the idea of messing about with the seats as they are in really good nick and I'd be gutted if I have to strip them down!

Any ideas?

JB

Bulldog Bri

can you send or post a few pic's of your seats?

8)

Richard

pics of seats and fixed roll bar behind, some manufacturers incorporate pads on the roll bars to create the same effect the regulations require.

YellaBelly

Piccy of my seats here: http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=150

Richard, I did think about the possibility of adding another x-member to the roll cage and adding pads, I guess that would be allowed if I did it right?

JB

Bulldog Bri

I think, as Rich said prob the best thing is pads hanging from the roll bar. Could be clamped on so removable...

8)

Bulldog Bri

Argh!!!

I'm trying to get the Crossflow running sweet . It start fine and ticks over smooth but if I blip the throtle it dies or nearly.

I've checked:-
              Plugs
              Leads
              Dizzy cap
              Fuel supply
              Compression (150+ on all cylinders)
              Timing
              Tried a different Dizzy
              Changed the top half of the carb

I have thought to try a different coil (but don't have a spare).

Anyone free over the weekend that can help?

:-\

'The Gaffer'

Sorry, I'm away this weekend.

Have you got good fuel pressure? (pump?)
Is spark good on plugs when you blip? (coil etc)
Are all vacuum pipes intact with no leaks? A small leak can cause this problem)
Is fuel good, not been in tank for years?

Try a constant blast of engine start spray into the intake and see if engine blips, be careful with that stuff though.

Good luck.

YellaBelly

Bri,

I'm not the world's greatest expert on engines, but could it be anything to do with carb size/jetting?

Is the carb that came with the engine?

JB

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: G & Toniq on 01, October, 2009, 01:23:39 PM
Sorry, I'm away this weekend.

Have you got good fuel pressure? (pump?)
Is spark good on plugs when you blip? (coil etc)
Are all vacuum pipes intact with no leaks? A small leak can cause this problem)
Is fuel good, not been in tank for years?

Try a constant blast of engine start spray into the intake and see if engine blips, be careful with that stuff though.

Good luck.

Hiya.

Thanks for the thoughts

Fuel pressure... I've got a full float chamber, so guess thats ok
All plugs do spark!
I've tried different Vac pipes no change
Fuel is good as I've never got much in there ;)

Will try a different coil and also see if possible to clean jets in the carb it'self.

Cheers all

8)

Bulldog Bri

Got my scoop at last so shouldn't need the over tall air filter.  ;D

Salvage/breakers on Ebay  ;)

8)

'The Gaffer'

Thats a nice scoop, if I get the chance to pop over to you before you fit it, could I try it for size on mine?

Bulldog Bri

£22.50 inc p+p can't complain at that

Should be here sometime around Wednesday so will start the fitting then, will leave final stick on till after you've tried it for size (suits you sir!) lol

Have just borrowed a couple of spare coils from my neighbour to try and see if thats the problem.

8)

Bulldog Bri

The flat spot on the engine from idle to revving, seems to have been caused by the old carb'  ::)
Managed to get hold of an old single choke Weber this afternoon and it now runs loads better  ;D

I've also now made a couple of slightly shorter but otherwise identical windscreen supports for a perspex aeroscreen, so if and when I want I can change over to the full size windscreen.

What I am looking for now is a speedo angle drive for a type 9 gearbox
This is one for a triumph (just for an example)

Does anyone know if they sell them up at Merlin motorsports and if anyone is going up there give me a shout.  ;D

8)

'The Gaffer'