+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New title - Share my Adventure

Started by Iancider, 13, February, 2014, 12:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iancider

The Gaffer has kindly agreed to try another little experiment.  Here is a new title for the "Impromptu run-out" SHARE MY ADVENTURE and a suggestion for a new way of making days-out a success. 

In the Summer there are a few things I really want to do and they will take some organising but then it is easy to offer them up to share with everybody.  That way, the event will always go ahead even if there is only one taker - it will always be a success - SIMPLES!

And what is more, anybody can do this.  They might be one-day run-outs, weekenders or maybe a lifetime ambition to tour Europe or something.  After the event, we can share the experience with the whole club. Everybody can do this or you can just tag along with somebody prepared to organise something.  There's another variant too - "On our way back from.... we could.....".  It looks like this will happen naturally with the Cornwall run - with different return times, alternative  routes and visits on the way.  Some might make it a three day event, some might visit Buckfast Abbey or cross into Devon or Dorset.  Afterwards we could all share our different experiences for others to enjoy later.

Here's how it could work.  We post an ADVENTURE (as early as possible) being careful not to clash with or compete with major events already planned.  Those that are keen, post their interest on the blog and a list is formed in the way Colin does it now. Final arrangements are made by PM-ing with the thread kept live for last minute sharing.  After the event we will share our adventure with everybody.  There should be a lot of female friendly activity in this too.  It could also work by making ADD-ON's to planned days - such as:  "After the X show... would anybody like to join me to go to....."

I am interested in comments and I will post a couple of plans soon to kick it off when the calendar is filled with the major events.  The aim is that there is something for everyone - whatever your interests.  From Cheddar tommorrow to Belgium next year to share my other hobby.....  So this is your plan, it will happen and it is just a matter of how many want to share it with you.

Moleman

Can I suggest visit a boating club first? I think it's the only club doing ok at the moment?  ::) ;D

Iancider

Boating club is easy - there is one near everybody right now!

Sumov8

Good idea Ian, there may be an issue as the club is so large, in identifying what everyone wants to do on a weekend
but if the end result is a mixture of what everyone wants, then we have more chance of keeping the club live.

There have been previous posts on what type of weekend events people would be interested in, so the next step must be to all start organising at least one event, and not leave it to the same people.

If anyone is interested myself and Alan could organise a "Treasure Hunt" style run out with navigation points and questions along the route, ending up in the odd watering hole / breakfast bars for medicinal purposes only of course.

Iancider

I would say go for it - you have two supporters already! 

Moleman

Quote from: Sumov8 on 13, February, 2014, 11:24:41 PM
Good idea Ian, there may be an issue as the club is so large, in identifying what everyone wants to do on a weekend
but if the end result is a mixture of what everyone wants, then we have more chance of keeping the club live.

There have been previous posts on what type of weekend events people would be interested in, so the next step must be to all start organising at least one event, and not leave it to the same people.

If anyone is interested myself and Alan could organise a "Treasure Hunt" style run out with navigation points and questions along the route, ending up in the odd watering hole / breakfast bars for medicinal purposes only of course.

Like Ian says Steve feel free to arrange one mate.  ;D

Just to remind everyone else. You are all welcome to arrange any runs out you so wish to do.
Ian & I can provide as much or as little help as you wish to get this going.  8)

dikkie

Along a similar line to a treasure hunt: Is anyone into Geocaching? I've been doing some local ones on my lunch break / walk home from work and have been thinking it would be nice to do some geocaching in the car over the summer, I'd certainly be up for "sharing the adventure"...

Bulldog Bri

Treasure hunts are good fun. I ran one years ago with may old club and had a great laugh.

8)

Iancider

Steve, Alan,

It sounds like you have a good hard bite there - enough already to make it worthwhile and a female friendly event too.  If I can help to make it happen please let me know.  There are still plenty of available dates in the summer or pehaps Easter - weather permitting?

Ian

Iancider

Dikkie,

Could you help me and others out with a definition of  "Geocoaching"

Thanks Ian

Moleman

I think Sumov8 might know the answer to this one Ian? I'm sure he is a regular at this?  :)

dikkie

Easiest to read about it here:

http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx

Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.

The nice thing is you can get (free) apps for most smart phones that will give you a compass to follow, once you have reached the gps coordinates there is normally a cryptic clue to help you find the cache (normally a sandwich box or similar small container).

Most caches contain a bit of historical info about the area you are visiting, and come in varying difficulties

Log onto the website - you'd be amazed at the number of caches around.

Sumov8

Colin is correct again, whilst we were in the Isle of White I still got up at 06:00 to go Geo caching along the sea front by the hotel, I find it the best way to get out and about and see sights you would not normally get to.

If anyone has a hand held sat nav or a smart phone you can run the application quite accurately from these, in essence you get some co ordinates and a clue and then go looking for a hidden package, if you find it then you can log your success on their web site.

Again this can be incorporated into a treasure hunt or used as a park and walk day out. 

Hope this helps

Iancider

Interesting - this had passed me by.

Ian

The Great Redmondo

Mark, it's a small world.  We have been Geocaching for 8 years and although we are not as obsessed as we once were, we thread it into almost everything we do.