+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hawkstone Park 2nd August Run-out

Started by Iancider, 30, March, 2014, 10:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iancider

SHARE MY ADVENTURE.  A couple of months back I posted an idea to visit the spectacular Hawkstone Park and I got a flurry of interest at the time.  Now I will be running this on Saturday 2nd August. Hawkstone is a unique national treasure - a massive folly in the grounds of a former mansion and now a Golf Club.  It is quite an adventure with cliffs, mini gorges, spectacular rocks, caves and grotto, spectacular views, bridges and gorges, trees and woodland walks.  The route up will be spectacular as well - avoiding motoways all of the way - travelling via the beautiful Wye valley past the Malvern hills and those wonderful roads in Shropshire.  It is just five miles north of Shrewsbury and if you do find it on a map it is the golf-course that is marked and not the folly.  So if you think you would like to join me I would love to lead you for a great adventure.  See the link at the bottom.

I am going to make a weekender of this one but it is possible to go up and return in one day without it getting dark.   I am planning an early morning start, a leisurely pretty drive up enjoying the scenery and arriving at Hawkstone for an early picnic lunch.  Bring you own feast and I can promise you a spectacular eating spot.  There are several miles to walk and explore after that and I promise you will never see anything like this anywhere else in the UK.  We can then disperse and do our own thing making best of the beauty of Shropshire.  The day trippers can make their own way back (I can suggest routes).  Others might choose to make a weekend of it like me and I can make recommendations - there is lots to do up there - for instance see Llanagollen and Bala Lake.

If you are interested, post here and send me a PM with you conact details - phone and e-mail and I can send you full details soon. 

http://www.hawkstoneparkfollies.co.uk/gallery/
http://www.hawkstoneparkfollies.co.uk/

It is a run-out and it is guaranteed to happen.  This is a good one for the ladies too. - join us if you can. 

Ian and Wifey

Moleman

That dose look nice. I'm not sure I could make this one? Though I could pass by it on the way home from doing the Zip wire.  :)

WALNUT

As good as it looks, not for me, bit far for one day,and the cost for two days makes it a bit dear, sorry

Iancider

I've been talking to Andrew Reeve - organiser of the Westfield Sportcar Club for some time now about a meet/runout witht the Costwolds division ot the club and they seem very taken with the idea of Hawkstone Park on 2nd August. 

WSCC tends to turn-out in significant numbers so I am hoping that we could make this a major showing.  There is a perfect opportunity to enjoy a very scenic drive, a picnic in spectacular surroundings and maybe a feature article in CKC magazine.  Ian Stent has been seeking input from us for some time so this would be a good article.

If you want to make it a weekender then nearby is Llangollen and Bala lake and of course Snowdonia National Park.

http://www.hawkstoneparkfollies.co.uk/gallery/http://www.hawkstoneparkfollies.co.uk

So I am looking for a good showing from our club.

Regards
Ian

Moleman

As me & Walnut can't make this one I think your stuffed mate.  ::)

Unless they want to prove me wrong of course!  :P :P :P

Camber Dave

An early morning run up the Wye Valley - whats not to like....

Count me in for the Saturday.

Dave

Pilgrim Anna

Wont be able to make that one as we are on holiday! :P

Iancider

Well done Dave,

Anna - I know you would if you could - have a lovely holiday 8)

CrisisWolf

Andrew on WSCC sent out the email a few days ago about this and it looks great!

My only questions are -

1. Bristol/North Bristol/Other meeting points?
2. Time of meeting points - how early?
3. Day trippers list?

Iancider

CrisisWolf

The arrangements are forming at the moment but there will be a rendezvous point at the North of Bristol.  We want to be at Hawkstone Park in time for an early lunch so it will be an early start - TBD.  It looks like the best place to rendezvous with WSSC will be at Tintern Abbey Car park on the A466.  I will arrange some route notes which I will circulate in advance and some waypoints will be added to make sure the convoy can re-assemble when it breaks and of course some comfort stops.  It is going to be a great drive up there and everybody can choose a variation on their route back.  I am staying up over the weekend but returning via the Malvern hills and the New Forest has to be a good option.

Sounds like you're up for this - shall I put you on the list?

Regards
Ian

CrisisWolf

Yeah put me on the list, I'll be on the WSCC list as well but will pick the suitable rendezvous point (I'm in North Bristol, and I expect the WSCC one will be further afield!)

Iancider

CrisisWolf

Have we got a meet time/place for this yet?

Iancider

Hi CrisisWolf

I will post tommorow evening - I've just been a way for the weekend and had a spot of car trouble which I have fixed this evening.  So watch this space,

Regards
Ian

CrisisWolf

Nothing about this has been posted on WSCC only Andrews email which went to some of 'the locals', haven't seen anything further. Don't think I'll be going. Be curious to see the planned route map tho for future reference.

Iancider

Well we got there despite the weather chucking everything at us. 

Very kindly the deluge stopped as we arrived.  The place is still good for a work-out and reminds you what your thighs are for!.  Gasping for a cup of tea at the end we made for the cafe and sat in the sun - briefly until somebody poured a swimming pool on us and then - in washed DaveG looking like a trawlerman on a workday.  So we poured some warm tea into him and he told us how much he had enjoyed it and clearly how it is big enough to get lost in for a few hours!   

Overnight we stayed in the Lion Quays Hotel near Chirk - wow what a place.  They served the best food I had ever had in any hotel anywhere and come to that, any restaurant either. Our room overlooked the Llangollen canal - literally right on the towpath.   We sat on our verandah watching the ducklings and birds that were so tame they would hop to within a foot of you.  I can really recommend it for anybody going to North Wales if you are looking for somewhere really special.

http://www.lionquays.co.uk/home/

Ian

Camber Dave

Ian Summed it up really.

I left at 7:30 and went straight down the M4/M48 to Chepstow and up the Wye valley in pouring rain.  I did see a couple of  Westies going back east (perhaps the Westfield group bailing out!) and who would blame them.
Thank you to Tim for recommending Conti Contact Tyres but even they were aquaplaning at sensible speeds.

I went straight up the A466 to Hereford and on to the A49. After the town I stopped for a break and was able to take the roof down. Progressively it got brighter and had a fun run straight to Hawkstone and arrived at 10:30.

After coffee and cake I took my lunch and did the full '3' hour walk – Took me 4!  Came back with legs acing and they still are today –a real work out. And I'me on my feet all day.

The park starts like Westonbirt on steroids and then gets more extreme, almost Alpine....  From the top of the monument you can see 12 counties apparently, though not in the mist.

I had researched the website and looked on Google maps it but I was really surprised and amazed. It got better the further on you go. And the sun came out for most of the afternoon.

Then we had a downpour as I walked back to the café' ...... See Above.

Ian's advised route back was brilliant. A  Clear A446 round Telford and A449 to Worcester where I joined the A38 to Gloucester – though the M5 was an option. There was bright sun for the entire trip.

It was one of the most enjoyable days out for a long time. A real adventure – Thanks for the recommendation Ian.

Moleman