News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Great Dorset Steam Fair 5th September

Started by Iancider, 29, June, 2015, 10:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Iancider

Hi All,

I am going to the Great Dorset Steam Fair on 5th September this year.  It is located near Blandford Forum and is a spectacular run-out on its own.  I aim to leave early and return late because this is the biggest steam fair in the UK and it becomes an old-time fairground after dark.  I will be going anyway but if anybody would like to join me for a convoy down you would be very welcome.  See the link for details, Tickets £16.50 each, £15 for the over sixties and can be purchased in advance.  Cheap camping if you want to stay overnight.

http://www.gdsf.co.uk/

SPAXIMUS

Just be aware if it is dry the car park quickly becomes a dust bowl. I have been several times and one year every car in the car park was an inch thick in dust. It was heart breaking to see convertibles who had left their tops down, the full interior covered.

Because it is a chalky soil, it also becomes very quickly a mud bath as well if it rains.

It is without doubt a true world class show, especially if you stay late on the Saturday night to see the steam fairground.

Camber Dave

Highly recommended. I will be going.

I have been about 10 times in 25 years. It is usually the same and always special.

I often take some one new to the show and see it through their eyes.
I always find something new that I missed previously.

Moleman

I will have to see what I'm doing as I might be away then. It does look like a good event.  8)

Camber Dave

To enhance Ian's trip to the Dorset Steam Fair consider this route

Go to Shaftsbury then onto the A30 Salisbury road.
Immediately turn right on to the B 3081. This road is closed at Mellbury Abbas.

But just after Melbury Motors the road goes left to Tollard Royal through a village.
Then it goes up through a series of 1st gear hairpin bends in the woods opening out on to fast open downs.
At the top (views for 30 miles) take a left back towards Compton Abbas airfield.
There is a very good café at the airfield worth a club trip one day.
These 5 or so miles are worth the trip on its own.

Then re-join the high road Left towards Blandford.

About 8 miles on, at a cross roads with wide open verges take a left to Pimperne
Follow the lane and go through the village
Join the A 354 and the Show queue just before the Anvil pub.
Drivers usually let you out as the think you are local.
This cuts out a roundabouts and long queues

SPAXIMUS

If you ever do a club trip, it is worth doing what Dave says, but just after you turn off the A30 take a left turn and the road which is the B3081 at Canns common. This road in the past was used as a hillclimb and is a terrific road to go up at speed. Once on the top of the hill there are so open fast roads with great views/

Iancider

Cor that route does sound good.  And I can report that I recently took the A30 and wow what a road that is!

Ian