News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Lucky Ed's Bike trip to France

Started by Lucky Ed, 06, August, 2015, 01:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

I've not long returned from my annual bike trip. Most of it was on my own, but did meet up with friends along the way. I covered 3100 miles in 10 days, camping all but 2 nights. Managed to get to the south coast but it was 41 degrees, so I dashed back up to the Alps to stay with friends for 2 days. Fantastic scenery, roads and grub and did spot a couple of Caterhams and an Atom on the great N85, would love to get down there in a kit car one day, but it's a long haul down there.

Col de Bonette 2880 metres

Glacier above Val d'Isere

Col d'Iseran 2770 metres

End of the day outside Reims back in the north after 810 kms in the day (506 miles) - still recovering :o

Moleman

That dose look good nice one mate. I think I need a touring kit & a track kit oh & a bigger garage then I'm set for doing both.  :)

Bulldog Bri

Sounds an awesome trip. Would love to be that confident in my car to do it. ::)

8)

longtimecoming

I've done this trip a few times on my bike, VFR750. Last time I did 7  mountain passes and finished on the Med' at Cannes. Took 10 days, same as Ed and totally enjoyed it.   8) 8) 8)

benchmark51

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 06, August, 2015, 04:29:02 PM

8)
Go for it Brian, A good service on the car and you'll be alright. I've done epic trips in Europe with no problems. I took out extra insurance which would get me and my car back to my address in the event that the car couldn't be fixed enroute. I took basic spares and tools anyway(adjustable spanner and gaffer tape) ;D.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 06, August, 2015, 04:29:02 PM

8)

I have to agree, but I also feel the same! Need a kit that is more suited to touring I think. Or do it in a ragtop more modern sports car I guess.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 06, August, 2015, 01:02:35 PM
I've not long returned from my annual bike trip. Most of it was on my own, but did meet up with friends along the way. I covered 3100 miles in 10 days, camping all but 2 nights. Managed to get to the south coast but it was 41 degrees, so I dashed back up to the Alps to stay with friends for 2 days. Fantastic scenery, roads and grub and did spot a couple of Caterhams and an Atom on the great N85, would love to get down there in a kit car one day, but it's a long haul down there.

Col de Bonette 2880 metres

Glacier above Val d'Isere

Col d'Iseran 2770 metres

End of the day outside Reims back in the north after 810 kms in the day (506 miles) - still recovering :o

How on earth do you organise and plan something like that?  ???

Sounds soft I know but I would not know where to begin tbh!  :-[

Lucky Ed

The trick is not to plan anything, just book the ferries and go! The flexibility comes from carrying a tent, you just ride until you've had enough and stop in the next town, each one has a municipal campsite, just pitch the tent and walk into town for some great grub and plan your route for the next day - simples 8) ;D

benchmark51

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 06, August, 2015, 11:11:35 PM
The trick is not to plan anything, just book the ferries and go! The flexibility comes from carrying a tent, you just ride until you've had enough and stop in the next town, each one has a municipal campsite, just pitch the tent and walk into town for some great grub and plan your route for the next day - simples 8) ;D

Pretty much what I did, apart from I had to get to Madrid asap. Once I did that, just followed the road that looked best. Sometimes doing a Clarkson (eeny meeny miny mo ect) at a crossroad! The good bit is you find places you didn't know about, good campsites ect. We ought to do a little europe one as a group, agreeing that no-one gets left behind if the unfortunate should happen. Municipal campsites are good for a days rest. Calais has one real close to bars and various eateries. I reckon it's the best holiday ever.

Facial Hair Optional

Dave and Ed, I have to say it sounds bloody fantastic! I have not had a holiday in a LONG time (I wont tell you how long, it's embarrasing, but my daughter was a baby and she has now just left Uni!!) and one that includes your favourite hobby must be on all our wishlists, or bucket list.

A group trip would be great fun. Do they have cones in France?? Regarder dehors pour ces cônes Colin !  :P :P  Sorry mate I had to say that after your comments about Tigers at the Thursday night meeting!   ;D ;D

'The Gaffer'

Great pics Ed, journey sounds great too.

Iancider

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 07, August, 2015, 01:11:15 AM
Dave and Ed, I have to say it sounds bloody fantastic! I have not had a holiday in a LONG time (I wont tell you how long, it's embarrasing, but my daughter was a baby and she has now just left Uni!!) and one that includes your favourite hobby must be on all our wishlists, or bucket list.

A group trip would be great fun. Do they have cones in France?? Regarder dehors pour ces cônes Colin !  :P :P  Sorry mate I had to say that after your comments about Tigers at the Thursday night meeting!   ;D ;D

Aay up, we got a Kermit - speaks frog, could be handy ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 07, August, 2015, 12:57:31 PM

Aay up, we got a Kermit - speaks frog, could be handy ;D

I wish, Google translator, brilliant!!!  :P :P

The Star Trek universal translator is almost upon us guys. So glad I didnt waste my time on languages at school!!

I jest of course. I DO wish I could speak another language (other than English and Jibberish), though French I would not choose. Maybe Chinese the way the world is going atm?  :o

Pilgrim Anna

Looks like a fab experience. But don't know if Bluebell could hack it??? Lol. She prob could but would take 10 times longer hehehe. :P