News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Italian Adventure

Started by Crunchie Gears, 29, October, 2015, 11:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crunchie Gears

I am planning a trip to Italy and wanted to know if there is any interest from the club :D

The proposed date is 7/8 days in mid September.

The bones of the trip is to transport the cars to Naples by transporter and fly down to meet them.  Stay the night in Naples after collecting the cars.

Next day drive south and drive the Amalfi Coast and then up to Rome to stay.

Next day travel up to Lake Como and stay for 2/3 nights.

Drive to Grimselwald and stay overnight and the co-pilots that do not want to do the passes can do a spa day or tourist things while the petrolheads get up early and drive the Grimsel, Furka and Sustain passes.

Then to Mulhouse to visit the car museum and stay the night.

Then to the channel with one further stop.

The accommodation will be Hotels.

I have a few people interested from the Morgan community (although I may not have a Morgan by then).

Is there any interest for this week away?

Moleman

That does sound nice. Will need a rough price guide line on what it would cost though.  :)

Crunchie Gears

It is just a rough plan at the moment but I have started planning the routes, hotels, activities, flights, transporter and tunnel.

The transporter cost wil depend on filing it so I need 8/11 cars dependent on the size of the transporter.  I went on to the Alps 3 years ago and we met our cars in Munich and had them collected in Nice and it cost £550 each for 8 of us.  I have asked for a quote but think it will be about the same.  The flights are about £80 each and hotels say £100 per night (it is holiday season). The tunnel about £60.

So that makes about £1500, for two people, plus breakdown and travel insurance, fuel and food.  The Morgan guys will go with wives and girlfriends.

I will know better when I have the quotes in and have the hotels sorted.

Having said that some people may want to camp, stay separately or do more of the Alps and that is no problem.  The key thing is to get to Naples on a transporter as it gives a great run back to UK and make sure there are things to do for the ladies.

longtimecoming

My wife and I did this part of Italy some years ago, as part of a trip to find her Grandfathers war grave. Although it was done in a hire car, this was one of the most enjoyable drives ever. We drove from Naples to Tarranto in the South and back up the east coast, including the Amalfi coast. The scenery is absolutely breath taking and the roads are built for cars. So if there are any one who is 'not sure' just go for it.
Best of luck C.G. I just wish I could be one of them.

sanzomat

Sounds great. I've done the Amalfi coast drive before (in a hire car) and the scenery is stunning although the coaches coming the other way are a bit scary when they come around a blind corner on your side of the road and you have nowhere to go other than the fresh air drop on your right!

I also drove over the Grimsel and Simplon passes this year whilst driving down to Maggiore having collected my daughter's friend who lives in Switzerland. They are stunning and you get above the snow line even in July. Lots of tunnels to reflect noise back at you and I had the good fortune of passing a ferrari owners club run coming the other way so had a real treat!

I think SWMBO has already reserved most of our leave for next year so I'm afraid I'm out but I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Crunchie Gears

Thanks for the support. :D

I knew it would not be for everyone but think it could be a bucket list trip for some.

I try to do a crazy trip every year but hope there are others that would like to join Head Office and I (I have to be honest and HO does not always go :o). It is just a blast.