AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Gary & Steve's (& Ed & Dave's) big adventure - meeting today - 12pm Compass Inn!

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 29, December, 2015, 10:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

Myself and Gary RH7 are meeting at midday today at the Compass Inn, Tormarton for a little drive around. Not sure where we will end up but I think we will take in Combe race circuit if it is open.

Everyone welcome to join us!!!!

Facial Hair Optional

Facial Hair Optional

Lucky Ed is a possible atm  :)

Anyone wishing to join either be at the Compass at 12 or contact any one of those mentioned so far on mobile  :D

Facial Hair Optional

Ed is now a defo to join us!!!

That's 4 so far  :)

Anymore on this glorious sunny Xmas day??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chaz

I could meet you at Castle Combe. Just been trying to sort out the Purple Peril. It may run like a bag of nails! If you're going to Combe, what time will you be there?

Chaz

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, December, 2015, 10:49:24 AM

Anyone wishing to join either be at the Compass at 12 or contact any one of those mentioned so far on mobile  :D

I don't know anyone's mobile. I've PMd you mine if you'd be so kind???

Chaz

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Chaz on 29, December, 2015, 12:03:10 PM
I could meet you at Castle Combe. Just been trying to sort out the Purple Peril. It may run like a bag of nails! If you're going to Combe, what time will you be there?

Sorry Chaz I had left home by the time you posted.

We met at the Compass Inn at 12 where we stood and disccussed Gary's cooling issue (more on that later!) We left there and I led the way to Combe where we arrived about 12.30 to 12.45 I'd say. The cafe was shut, there were a few cars there including a yellow TR8 which sounded nice. We chatted for a bit and took a million pics of our 4 cars all lined up, nice.

We left the race circuit and went out on the Combe road and turned right by the Salutation Inn and on under the M4 through Grittleton and on through Hullavington to the M4 karting centre where we had a nice  brunch each and watched very flexible guys going round on those tiny little pit bikes. How the hell they ride them is beyond me!!!

While at the karting centre we had a good look at Gary's Robin Hood and I am pretty confident we found the soucre of his cooling problem!!! I will leave Gary to post on that one. Good luck with it mate but I bet that you fix it now!

When we left this time with Ed leading the way (Gary left in the opposire direction to head home), we had a great blast on the way back to the Cross Hands at Old Sodbury, Ed's car is quick! I tried to hang on to him but he is faster than my Tiger and with my skinny little tyres it was quite hairy on damp and slippery country roads. I noticed Ed couldn't resist having a blast under the M4 tunnel - me too of course, not sure about Dave as he was behind me and I couldn't hear him what with the wind and exhaust noise from my car. Every single 'maximum speed limit' sign we passed Ed was off like a scoulded cat! Grrrrreat!!! There was a small amount of traffic but needless to say Ed left them for dead at the 1st safe opportunity to overtake.

All our cars now need a good clean but I think it's safe to say we all had a fun day out chewing the fat and tearing up the country lanes.

We talked about doing another one like this early in 2016, maybe January? All four of us are keen and I will post on this soon. It will be weather dependant and also timing as to see who and how many are free. I will work out a grid idea for dates and times and people can tick yes or no if they are free - an idea I have seen used very well on Pistonheads forums.

We all agreed it was just nice to get out and chat with like minded people about our cars, it doesn't even matter where we go really, it the taking part that is important. Today happened with very little planning and no route planned in advance, we just met, chatted and off we went for a blast and lunch, more chats and and then more blasts!!

All in all a great few hours with some good guys from the BCKK  :) :) :)

Pics to follow

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Chaz on 29, December, 2015, 12:06:13 PM

I've now PM'd you my moby Chaz, sorry we didn't see you mate, must have missed you by minutes I reckon  :(

Facial Hair Optional

Chaz

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, December, 2015, 03:54:08 PM

We must have missed by about 5 mins I reckon. Not to worry. I too took a pic of my very dirty car. It's not running well at the moment so I probably would have struggled to keep up.

I've now PM'd you my moby Chaz, sorry we didn't see you mate, must have missed you by minutes I reckon  :-(

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Chaz on 29, December, 2015, 05:52:50 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, December, 2015, 03:54:08 PM

We must have missed by about 5 mins I reckon. Not to worry. I too took a pic of my very dirty car. It's not running well at the moment so I probably would have struggled to keep up.

I've now PM'd you my moby Chaz, sorry we didn't see you mate, must have missed you by minutes I reckon  :(

Don't worry about keeping up Chaz, we never leave a man behind!!!!  ;D

'The Gaffer'

Chaz

Just paste this in, no one will ever know. ;-)
Pic taken at 13:39 and I left about 5 mins later.

Lucky Ed

It was a great spur of the moment run out, the weather was dry but the roads were mucky and wet, which kept things interesting. it was good to get the car back out on the road again after spending a lot of time on track, as you soon realise how fast these things are compared to normal road cars.

I hope Gary's overheating problem is a simple and cheap, no doubt he'll let us know soon.

Thanks for the good company boys - we must do it again sometime 8)

Gary RH7

Sorry we missed you Chaz. I will also PM my mobile number also.

Just another pic of the 4 of us. Good get together and well worth getting the cars a little dirty. We defiantly need to do it more often.

I will start another post about the heating problem/fix ;)

Facial Hair Optional

It was a fun day mate wasn't it! I have every confidence that between the 4 of us we have found the issue with your cooling Gary. Fingers crossed for you mate  :)

I have already written a post about having another meet after today's success, just waiting to hear back from some of the key moderators to get the go ahead to post it up. Watch this space....   ;D ;D ;D :-*

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Chaz on 29, December, 2015, 06:19:02 PM
Just paste this in, no one will ever know. ;-)
Pic taken at 13:39 and I left about 5 mins later.

B*gger! I missed my chance to look over another Tiger then!!!! GRRRR!!

Facial Hair Optional

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 29, December, 2015, 06:30:37 PM
Sorry we missed you Chaz. I will also PM my mobile number also.

Just another pic of the 4 of us. Good get together and well worth getting the cars a little dirty. We defiantly need to do it more often.

I will start another post about the heating problem/fix ;)

What did you take that picture on Gary? It's crackin' mate, nice rich colours and lovely and clear

benchmark51

Good day today, maybe the last run for Ratbag this year. Must have been a good night at the coombe, they were still all in bed! Briefly debated sneaking out to the track, but may have woke 'em up ;D ;D.
Had a nosh at Hullavington karting which hit the spot. People riding pygmy motorbikes, had their knees up round their ears, crazy! Had a top end misfire, but managed to hang on to the mini-convoy ok and my heater kept me really toasty :) Just a couple of pics.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 29, December, 2015, 07:02:33 PM
Good day today, maybe the last run for Ratbag this year. Must have been a good night at the coombe, they were still all in bed! Briefly debated sneaking out to the track, but may have woke 'em up ;D ;D.
Had a nosh at Hullavington karting which hit the spot. People riding pygmy motorbikes, had their knees up round their ears, crazy! Had a top end misfire, but managed to hang on to the mini-convoy ok and my heater kept me really toasty :) Just a couple of pics.

Good pics again mate, did you have your curry tonight in the end??

Gary RH7

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, December, 2015, 06:45:58 PM

What did you take that picture on Gary? It's crackin' mate, nice rich colours and lovely and clear

You surprise me. Your memory on the posts are usually good and you asked me this before. It is the galaxy S6 with HDR on.  I am a bit P*££$D because I previously paid ££££'s for a Nikon D3300 and the pictures are not much better :'(

Facial Hair Optional

You're right Gary, my memory is usually pretty good and I do recall asking you, just can't remember what you told me!! (must try harder, sit at the back of the class FHO  :( :P)

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, December, 2015, 09:32:05 PM
You're right Gary, my memory is usually pretty good and I do recall asking you, just can't remember what you told me!! (must try harder, sit at the back of the class FHO  :( :P)

Is there a naughty step at the back of the class? ..... if there is you could serve two penalties at once ;D

benchmark51

" Good pics again mate, did you have your curry tonight in the end?? "

No, no curry tonight. Just couln't be bothered, so done Rex and me a Bratwurst each with bread and pickles. :P

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 29, December, 2015, 09:43:59 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, December, 2015, 09:32:05 PM

Is there a naughty step at the back of the class? ..... if there is you could serve two penalties at once ;D

Good idea Ed, more free time for BLATTING!!!!!  ;D ;D

I also have to say in fairness to Ed that the trip home with him leading the way was MUCH faster then the yomp from Combe to the Karting centre with me leading!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :'( :'( :'(

I actually quite enjoyed getting the car dirty, it felt like I'd used it well that day! Remember all that lovely dirt you were wiping off you windscreen Gary? Well me and Ed used our faces to deflect ours!! Real men see!! ha ha!! Actually that bloody white van was deliberately driving in the verge I think, thank God I had my sunnies on!! They were totally mud splattered by the time we got to Combe  8) 8) 8) >:( >:( >:(

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 29, December, 2015, 09:44:27 PM

" Good pics again mate, did you have your curry tonight in the end?? "

No, no curry tonight. Just couln't be bothered, so done Rex and me a Bratwurst each with bread and pickles. :P

Now there is an idea for next year - a BKCC curry night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary RH7

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, December, 2015, 09:52:20 PM

I actually quite enjoyed getting the car dirty, it felt like I'd used it well that day! Remember all that lovely dirt you were wiping off you windscreen Gary? Well me and Ed used our faces to deflect ours!! Real men see!! ha ha!!
Well that was another thing that slowed me down, Ed's muck splattering my windscreen then the sun hitting it. I actually had to use my brakes three times :o. Luckily really because that's when Dave noticed my offside break light not working :P

Facial Hair Optional

Yikes!!!! Yeah I can imagine in that sun it was pretty scary actually!

Brakes, who needs 'em!! My nearside one was out too, spotted by Ed! He was obviously too close  :P :P :P

Moleman

Glad you guys had a good day out. Funny enough I spend the day doing all the odd jobs that needed doing from the MOT. I took me a day with just enough time to take it out for a quick blatt to check everything out. So hopefully next time I will join you now it's done.  8)

Facial Hair Optional

Hope it passes first time with no advisories mate but if not we can all check out what it failed/got advised on via that MOT checking service I posted about before!! You can't flippin' hide anything these days can you!!   :o :P :-*

Moleman

They did pass it mate. Most of the jobs was advisories. I'd rather that they do pick these things up so it doesn't fail out on track.  :)  (just a few lose wiring connection, drive shaft cover, handbrake needed adjusting, wheel bearing slightly lose). 

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 30, December, 2015, 03:02:52 PM
They did pass it mate. Most of the jobs was advisories. I'd rather that they do pick these things up so it doesn't fail out on track.  :)  (just a few lose wiring connection, drive shaft cover, handbrake needed adjusting, wheel bearing slightly lose).

Yeah it does actually pay to have a good MOT tester who finds the bad things that need looking at. My tin top had an advisory 5 years ago it turns out on rear suspension bushes. After that no one picked it up until one day my rear nearside tyre shredded itself!! It had beeen running almost entirely on the inner edge for ages and wore right through the carcass and metal threads!!!! I just made it home when it went on me. Luckily I only drive slowly  ;D

Lucky Ed

Facial Hair Optional