Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Bank Holiday monday Cruise / drive..

Started by YZFMINI, 29, March, 2010, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YZFMINI

Weather Permitting :)
Does anyone fancy a drive on the bank holiday monday.
I thought the monday would be best as it would give us all the friday saturday and sunday to do any jobs on our cars we need to do(i know there are 1 or 2 things id like to get done) ready for a drive on monday some time to some where.. any ideas??

'The Gaffer'

Its very possible. I have to finish my car this weekend to free up ramp so subject to a good test drive and a couple of odd jobs to complete I will be up for it.

Bulldog Bri

Hopefully gonna be painting the car this weekend and the Bulldog isn't being taxed till May  :(

8)

dave_bence

Sorry, my car wont be taxed until May and I'll be spectating at Combe on Easter Monday.

PhilW

As above, not taxing until May, plus they may be salting the roads again if snow threatens.

YellaBelly

Would love to, but I'll need a tow, somebody to let me use them as a brake, Oh and bodywork, new tyre, number plates etc. etc...... :(

I really must get a move on with this build!

paintman

Would love to come but engine still in bits!!! :(

YZFMINI

Oh well Weather depending thought im sure its gona rain.
its just me and G & Toniq...

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: YZFMINI on 31, March, 2010, 11:42:29 AM

Yep 2 Billy no mates :(

Hairy Santa

Quote from: YZFMINI on 31, March, 2010, 11:42:29 AM

And me with a bit of luck

YZFMINI

Cool Well at least i'll be able to see 2 club cars iv not seen yet.. looking forward to it.

So where shall we go??? 8)

Richard

Sorry, got a few building things to do still, but making a bit of progress in the right direction. Enjoy, weather forecast has a slim chance of being ok for you at least.

Dixie

Sorry I cant make it, still finishing the interior.  trying to get it done before the 18th.

Mark

tickious

how much and what time to watch at combe? Maybe we could have a drive over there. Via Halfords Trowbridge :)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: tickious on 01, April, 2010, 08:25:44 PM
how much and what time to watch at combe? Maybe we could have a drive over there. Via Halfords Trowbridge :)

Could be fun :)

bjw970s

Quote from: G & Toniq on 01, April, 2010, 11:03:20 PM

racing starts 12.30 practice from 0830 ish there are the 2 combe championship races plus alfas, 750mc locost and MR2's plus some single  seaters

tickious

Quote from: bjw970s on 02, April, 2010, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: G & Toniq on 01, April, 2010, 11:03:20 PM

racing starts 12.30 practice from 0830 ish there are the 2 combe championship races plus alfas, 750mc locost and MR2's plus some single  seaters

Cool, is it ok to just turn up and watch or do you need to book?
Also how much does it cost?

bjw970s

yep, turn up and pay at the gate

I think its £15 - the website is not very clear. Watch from quarry or camp corner

YZFMINI

i guess it all depends on the weather but i was thinking of something like this... (link to route on google map)

'The Gaffer'

Yes, all on the weather really for me - no wet weather gear at all so although a good route I may have to skip mid way if it starts to rain.

Hmmm, not being a skinflint but £15 would be better spent on fuel for the run rather than watching cars that I would rather be driving if I could :)

I will put out a club email shortly to see if anyone else wants to join us.

tickious

Quote from: YZFMINI on 02, April, 2010, 05:33:10 PM
i guess it all depends on the weather but i was thinking of something like this... (link to route on google map)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=A370%2FClarence+Rd&daddr=Felton+Ln+to:51.280817,-2.793274+to:B3135+to:A37%2FHigh+St+to:B3114+to:A37%2FWells+Rd&geocode=FRQAEQMdeorY_w%3BFeAMEAMdiFrX_w%3B%3BFUSwDQMdwtjY_w%3BFc6EDgMdgjbZ_w%3BFeYWDwMdtLrX_w%3BFTy6EAMdzuDY_w&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,5&sll=51.281676,-2.631912&sspn=0.178668,0.438766&ie=UTF8&ll=51.238062,-2.671738&spn=0.089419,0.350189&z=12

Is it just me being paranoid? But if you scroll out from your map it's almost a perfect arrow head pointing away from Trowbridge. Like the lotto saying "It's not you!" LOL!

Col, How do you save your route on a google maps?

P.S. I agree £15 is a little steep for just watching.

YZFMINI

thats what i was thinking,£15 fuel for me...

YZFMINI

the map was not done on purpose...

To do the link in google there is a button in top left corner called "Link"
click it and past the text in the top text box into a message..

Colin

bjw970s

Surprised at the negative reaction to the cost.  It costs 25 quid to watch some guys kick a ball around for 90 minutes and you get to see 10 races for about £15 for an event that lasts, if you get there early 8 hours.  It costs £200 to enter the race by the way so it's all relative.

So a chance to see a lot of mainly home built cars raced hard (31 locosts on the grid) wander round the pits and ask about cars possibly similar to the ones you have built over 8 hours ??

However its your money and your run.   

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: bjw970s on 03, April, 2010, 08:01:09 PM
Surprised at the negative reaction to the cost.  It costs 25 quid to watch some guys kick a ball around for 90 minutes and you get to see 10 races for about £15 for an event that lasts, if you get there early 8 hours.  It costs £200 to enter the race by the way so it's all relative.

So a chance to see a lot of mainly home built cars raced hard (31 locosts on the grid) wander round the pits and ask about cars possibly similar to the ones you have built over 8 hours ??

Its not really the cost that bothers me and fair play to the guys who race and pay that sort of money to enter. I also understand your point about it all being relative.

However, for me, it's more about value for money. Horses for courses really; Personally I'd just get bored stiff watching cars going round and round for 8 hours whether they were F1, Supercars, or indeed home built cars. Just because I own a kit car it dosent necessarily follow that I am heavily into motor sport that features them.

I'm sure there would be many things that I might enjoy that others would dislike. Sorry, each to their own.

bjw970s

Quote from: G & Toniq on 03, April, 2010, 09:11:14 PM

Its not really the cost that bothers me and fair play to the guys who race and pay that sort of money to enter. I also understand your point about it all being relative.

However, for me, it's more about value for money. Horses for courses really; Personally I'd just get bored stiff watching cars going round and round for 8 hours whether they were F1, Supercars, or indeed home built cars. Just because I own a kit car it dosent necessarily follow that I am heavily into motor sport that features them.

I'm sure there would be many things that I might enjoy that others would dislike. Sorry, each to their own.

Absolutely right!!!

I wouldn't pay if I didn't enjoy it, and we all have different tastes :) But for what you get the cost isn't bad - thats why I commented.

Incidentally at £150 for a ticket I wouldn't pay to watch F1 either!!  The interesting part of clubman events is that you get into the paddock area and can get a good look at the cars etc which you can't get at bigger events.

The irony of F1 and all other races is that the marshals are all volunteers and unpaid - the money is not in amateur competing or helping out - thats for sure!!!

Here's hoping for good weather whatever you get up to.

Old Biker

Best of luck with the weather.

Got my car now but leg is still counting me out insurance wise!  Good luck.

Car is this one  http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1563304.htm

Comments good or bad are welcome?

tickious

top looking car. Seems to have everything. You coming to Llandow?

'The Gaffer'

But for what you get the cost isn't bad - thats why I commented.

Agreed, although I would be very interested in just a pit pass for say an hour or two, guessing that isn't an option though :(

Quote from: Old Biker on 03, April, 2010, 10:33:22 PM
Got my car now but leg is still counting me out insurance wise!  Good luck.

Car looks great and good spec too, look forward to seeing you out and about :)

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Old Biker on 03, April, 2010, 10:33:22 PM
Got my car now but leg is still counting me out insurance wise! 

Very nice. How long before your leg mends enough to be able to drive it?

8)

Old Biker

I will join in as soon as the leg allows.  Its been bust since August but now is making good progress (at last!).  Getting looked at again 14 Apr 10 and if I can get the docs to clear me I can pass that onto the insurance and they can clear me then I'm off the lead.

I'm probably being thick but what happens at Llandow?

tickious

Quote from: Old Biker on 04, April, 2010, 09:07:51 AM
I will join in as soon as the leg allows.  Its been bust since August but now is making good progress (at last!).  Getting looked at again 14 Apr 10 and if I can get the docs to clear me I can pass that onto the insurance and they can clear me then I'm off the lead.

I'm probably being thick but what happens at Llandow?

http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=620.0

Old Biker

Found it and just making my way back here to try and save face - not quick enough!

Looks like a bit of fun.  Anything I say now will be based on theory.  Still trying to come to terms with spending out on a car that I haven't even driven.  Never done that before.  Good fun as a passenger though.  If I am in one piece (leg) and the car is still in one piece AND there are still places available I will aim to get there.

Almost made a decision there ???

YZFMINI

Meeting place for the drive around.

Weather for monday If you believe it looks as if it's beter as day goes on i recon we meet at 1pm.

'The Gaffer'

Mark G

I may be out in the motor tomorrow, I may meet up with you guys but would be closer to Bristol.  Any ideas where you'll end up?

I was thinking of heading up to the downs with the camera to get some shots of the car.

Mark

Mark G

Forgive my stupidity, but where are you meeting? My phone is giving me a map from bridgewater to a layby on the A38.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Mark G on 05, April, 2010, 12:06:24 AM
Forgive my stupidity, but where are you meeting? My phone is giving me a map from bridgewater to a layby on the A38.

Hi Mark - I believe that the lay-by is correct - thats what I will be heading for if I can make it

Just down the road from the Kings Head Pub I think

YZFMINI

Yep the lay by just down the A38 just after the kings head pub.
See you al there @ 1pm.

Yzfmini

Richard