News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Engine Crane

Started by Daley Down Under, 03, April, 2010, 01:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daley Down Under

Hi,

I'm on the scrounge - engine is ready to come out of the Marlboro Car.  Does anyone have an engine crane I can borrow tomorrow or Monday?  I can collect and return obviously and there's a crate or two of beer thrown in too.

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Try looking here Adrian http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=289.0 and maybe fire off a few PM's. Not too many on the forum at the moment but you might strike lucky :)

Daley Down Under

Thanks for the pointer.  I've PM'd Dave Bence.

Enjoy Llandow in a month or so.

Adrian

PhilW

I've got one you can borrow, i'm in Knowle which isn't to far away

dave_bence

PM replied to.

Adrian's spoilt for choice now!

Daley Down Under

Quote from: PhilW on 03, April, 2010, 05:23:22 PM
I've got one you can borrow, i'm in Knowle which isn't to far away

Many thanks for the offer - really good to know there's so many helpful people out and about willing to muck in.  I'm borrowing Dave Bence's tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Adrian

PhilW

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 03, April, 2010, 06:03:25 PM

Many thanks for the offer - really good to know there's so many helpful people out and about willing to muck in.  I'm borrowing Dave Bence's tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Adrian

No problem, i can get on and change my clutch now.

Richard

too late to offer, I have hoist, load leveller, straps, large D shackle so if you have an awkard engine and access these can help.

let me know if you need additional help but not around tomorrow.

Daley Down Under

Richard,

Thanks for the offer.  Enjoy Detling.

Cheers Adrian

Richard

Daley Down Under

Richard,

No problems - engine is out and no other obvious damage externally beyond what I already knew.  I've sourced a secondhand ZX14 water pump and clutch slave cylinder/cover from ebay (not cheap at £130 for the pair but essential).  In terms of parts, I just need a new clutch pushrod now.  I also need to repair the paddleshift cable, speedo sensor, clutch aeroquip, get the prop checked out and make/fit the prop catcher. 

Engine and gearbox are going off to Bike Care in St Georges on Friday this week for a strip/check over and I think I've found a 3.14:1 Sierra CWP secondhand.  Assuming there's nothing badly wrong inside the gearbox, I should be refitting the engine and diff during early May Bank Holiday weekend (around Stoneleigh).

I'm changing the supercharger oil (called SX100 traction fluid) - surprised to find its £100 a litre!!!  May also change the supercharger drive belt while the engine is out.

Thanks for asking,

Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Glad all is going well, not sure if thats the right word, but you know what I mean :)

Richard

At least you are making speedy progress in getting the fixes together. Really hope no hidden problems lurking for you.

Daley Down Under

Same here - enough problems already.  On closer investigation this afternoon, the M8 HT set screws that sheared off at the gearbox output flange appear to have been suffering for some time.  Looks like there was a bit of slip going between the flanges.  Prop flange at that end is bent so will need new UJ or flange machining.  Off to Chards on Friday.

Cheers Adrian

Quarrycars

You may have already done this, but be sure to check the runout on the gearbox output flange, should be less that ,1mm (.004") radial and lateral. If it's 'off' a bit you can try turning it 90/180 deg on the shaft.
Cheerz, JT

Daley Down Under

JT,

Thanks - I will check that, especially bearing in mind that the prop flange is visibily buckled (by approx 1/16th inch - forget thousanths).

Still having mega problems sourcing a 3.14 sierra diff so may be academic for a while.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: dave_bence on 03, April, 2010, 05:25:51 PM
PM replied to.

Adrian's spoilt for choice now!

Dave - hope you had a good holiday?  I haven't forgotten about the engine crane.  Quick update - nothing substantially wrong with the engine and gearbox (just a couple of worn selector forks and a bent selector rod).  Should be back together and with me for the weekend.  I'm hoping to get the engine in next week so should be able to return the engine crane w/c 10th May.

Best regards,

Adrian